any negatives?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 00:44
ThreadID: 123231 Views:5475 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking at possibly purchasing a B.T. All I seem to be hearing so far are positive comments about B.T.!!! this is great but SURELY, someone out there must have some negatives, or things they would change if given the opportunity? Any feedback would be much appreciated thanks, Valva.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldperc - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:01

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:01
yea, we had a flat tyre once on the van so I blamed the BT because it wasn't my fault.

Our second van will be ready the second week of Febuary (that correct isn't it Steve?)
Just buy one you won't go wrong.
Regards
David
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570279

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:11

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 04:11
Hi Valva,

no negatives in our view, our 2nd full sized van and we knew what we wanted this time around, it is why we ordered one and prepared to wait 8 months, [less than 4 to go] and we are getting itchy feet.

Cheers
M&V

FollowupID: 846991

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:38

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:38
We love our BT, and are happily on our 2nd.

But we can't pretend that there are no negatives - as you would already know, the main negative is that they weigh a bit, but that is basically the price you need to pay for a robust construction and peace of mind. Also, despite what Steve might say in his tips, there are still occasions when the AT35 hitch can be a real pain in the neck to unhitch (but I wouldn't change it either till something substantially better comes along).

You asked if there were things we would change - that is a tricky question, obviously there are things we did differently the 2nd time around, but a lot of those relate to layout to suit a particular lifestyle, so what is good for us may not be so for someone else. Therefore, take your time and research the layout options carefully.

I would say the main thing is don't cut corners on things which will only cost more to add later, such as extra solar panels, battery banks and water tanks.
AnswerID: 570280

Reply By: Boystoy - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:19

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:19
Hi Valva,

Too many positives.

The only negatives I have of our BT are the photos taken before I had a digital camera, you know, before the film is printed.

Its what I wanted, I got what I expected, Goes where I want & doesn't complain.
Its coming up 3 years old & we are more than happy.

About the only thing I would do as an improvement is to chamfer the corners of the bed to make access easier. Not much to complain about eh!!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570281

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:16

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:16
Hi Valva,
We collected ours in June 1st. 05. Since then it has wondered many many bush kilometres with no problems, no dust and not even a puncture.

Actually - thats not quite true, we destroyed a microwave - it did not fall out -still firmy secured just fell apart inside (what do yiou expect for a $120 Target special!) Eight screws removed - back to Target for a warranty replacement, return with a new one - eight screws back in - job done. We supplied the unit for the factory to fit. Since then I have learned to better manage my tyre pressures better when cruising the really serious corrugations....... the sort of stuff that destroys lesser vans - never mind microwaves! And, the replacement m/wave is still fine.

Compared to some of the overpriced, under designed and poorly serviced products on the market they are clearly the best and have no peers.

John and Jean.
AnswerID: 570282

Reply By: Rockgoc - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:47

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:47
G'day there Valva. We are coming up to our 3rd year living in our 18footer full time. In my humble opinion, no other van comes any where near a Bushtracker, both in quality and performance. You only have to walk inside one after inspecting all the other brands, to have your mind made up!. We will be upgrading to a 22 footer some time next year, as we need a little more space than we have in the van we have now.
See you in the owners circle one day...............
Cheers from Jan O
AnswerID: 570283

Reply By: Gamma and Grumps - Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 19:01

Saturday, Jan 20, 2007 at 19:01
Hi Valva
They are the best, but be aware that the penalty for strength is weight. We tow our 20 footer with a Landcruiser 100 Series TD with a boat on top with outboard and generator in a box on the A frame and if we fill the four water tanks we are overloaded. We have all the extras. So be aware when ordering all the extras that they all add weight. We would not delete any of the extras, so the only thing I would change, if anything, is the tow vehicle .
Ken and Aileen

Going walkabout - about time.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570284

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:16

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:16
Valva, we do the major shows and are always comparing weight. All of the so called competitors weigh about the same, one consecutively weighs more. If anything, extra weight is the extra gear we offer.

We have probably the most Optional Equipment on offer, for luxury and self-sufficiency. The vans weigh about the same but some people just take more gear in Bushtrackers, as they go further afield. Just how it is...

Now, the only real negative, which no one mentioned, is that people want to know all about your Bushtracker everywhere you go. There is a penalty for being Number One, everyone wants you to tell them all about it. Mind you, I think most Bushtracker Owners are happy to stop and spend the time to talk about their "Vacation Homes" and for some "Full time homes".... But once in a while, you will just want to be on your way, when some friendly sort pops in with a few questions... Bushtrackers do attract a lot of attention. Ha! Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570285

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 07:58

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 07:58
Hi Valva.
They are the best.
Go to the factory for a look see. ANYTIME, for a tour, you will see all the stages of several being built.
You will need to ask no more comparison questions.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570286

Reply By: Maximus - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:44
The only complaint I have is that we didn't get one years ago..
Don't wait......
AnswerID: 570287

Our Sponsors