LCD TV's

Submitted: Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:26
ThreadID: 123238 Views:4767 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering what brand LCD TV's some of you are using and what you think of them.

We have owned a dedicated 12v Xien LCD/DVD 17" previously and thought it had a great picture but with the new BT we are considering seperating the DVD player and purchasing a Pioneer deck which plays DVD's / CD's etc so its just the screen we are looking at.

Is dedicated 12v better than a 12v / 240v ? i have heard the 12v use less power than the 12/240 even when it is used on 12v.

We dont like unneccesary transformers and running cables.

Have checked out Xien, Majestic, Palsonic [not palasonic] Orion in the 17" - 20" size

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
M&V
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:22

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:22
We have added bits in dribs and drabs.

We have wall mounted a KROSS LCD TV, which gives an excellent picture, added Digitor speakers, one mounted in the living area and one over the bed. The speakers on the KROSS had very tinny sound, and they got broken off when i left the telly on top of the fridge one rough road day, before we had set it up on the swinging arm wall mount. The telly survived the fall. Yes, i understand that you use less power with the direct 12 v appliance. I believe the TV is the same model they sell in Woolworths/Safeway on special occasionally, and cheaper than we paid for ours from eBay.

We purchased the $130 (not the cheapest) set top box from DSE which needs to run off the inverter - we couldn't find a dedicated 12 v one. We haven't used it yet as we are not in a digital area. We also purchased a Lenoxx 12 v DVD player, because it was the only one in 12 v we could find without its own screen to complete our set up.

We just need to get out on the road to try it all!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570304

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 19:43

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 19:43
Mick,
I would suggest you contact Sound in Motion, and ask them about how durable the various units are. Who cares if it costs a little more, cheap or cute do not count when it CACKS itself when traveling on the corrugation... How they travel is the key...

In all fairness, their Technicians are the ones that see the results when they try to use cheaper brands in the various applications with screens in vehicles. You might give them a jingle. Weigh that in with the other advice...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570305

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 20:15

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 20:15
Hi Steve,

Yes i will, i have emailed them a couple of times with no reply, i will try the old fashioned method,LOL

I agree about durability, in any case we will travel with it the way we have done previously, pack it away in a padded bag and store it in a foam lined cupboard.

Ha that reminds me of my old padded cell LOL

Thanks M.H. for your reply,

Still keen to hear from others,

Cheers
Mick
FollowupID: 847002

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 21:03

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 21:03
Howdy Nick & Vicki - there are a few pics showing TV set ups in the Pictures folder. We have in our list. Basically it is a Dick Smith Electrical "special" which we notice has been running since aboutearly 2005! We bought the arm from Sound in Motion when on our pick up trip as we could not source one here in Adelaide when required. Set it up ourselves as BTi installed the antenna sockets and cabling between for us! Have an Old Hills Industries antenna from our Woomera days and get some reception where ever. Last trip (18days in total) we did not even undo the TV from its travel holder! Too busy with nature and scenery from dawn to dusk and then slept like logs in between!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 570306

Reply By: Bob & Chris - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 22:43

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 22:43
Hi Mick and Vickie
I agree with earlier comments that you need to be carefull with products that claim to stand up to the Australian outback.We purchased our Bushtracker mid 2004 without TV DVD.It was suggested we talk to Sound in Motion about TV DVD.They supplied Panasonic E.View LCD 17" TV.and a Vision Multi Media Disc Player.80,ooo klms on still performing well.Spent some time N.T and Gulf country in high humidity and winter months in Whyalla,thousands of klms dirt roads. The products are not cheap but they are still working.Bob
AnswerID: 570307

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:25

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:25
Mick
We have a Majestic 17inch wide screen we got from sound in motion, with a full system including oyster satelite, mini digital set top box, surround sound etc etc.
mate it's the ducks guts. Majestic is also used in a lot of million dollar plus boats.

Scott
PS Mick
Spend up now you can't take it with you
AnswerID: 570308

Our Sponsors