Removal of road grime

Submitted: Monday, Jan 29, 2007 at 03:02
ThreadID: 123263 Views:4513 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A while back posted (Post 2799) about the use of kerosine as a cleaning agent.
I have just tried it with fantastic results.

To a standard bucket I put a about a double dose of a normal wash & shine shampoo and then added a cup of Kero and washed with a sponge in sections and hosed off with a high pressure cleaner as each section was done.

The results are really fantastic - better than anything else I have ever used. As you wash what looks fairly clean panels - dirty brown water just runs off. End result after washing off was a sparkly new looking Bt. I did not have to use a chamois.

I am told this treatment makes it easer to remove bird crap and splatted insects etc more easily in the future and that ants will not come near the van.

The down side is you must wear old clothes and spend a long time in the shower when done - otherwise you smell like a kero factory. Jean thought that might be an improvement!

Cheers John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob & Chris - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 00:31

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 00:31
Thanks I will give it a go,Bob
AnswerID: 570397

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:27

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 04:27
John, Whisky 68.

We received a copy of the VKS737 Network News (Dec 2006) and your right up about Lorna Glen is on Page 12.

You may get some visitors out there looking for their vans to be washed.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570398

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:20

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:20
Gee, I haven't even got my copy yet - still the postie only comes by here once a week. Visitors - bring it on - vans washed? - you wish!

John
FollowupID: 847090

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:31

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:31
Hi John,

Yet to try the Kero fix.

Does it work on the Pilbara dust that ingrains into the aluminium, & turns rusty everywhere else?

Have tried much scrubbing & high pressure cleaner, but still have a 'golden glow' on the aluminium. I gave up on the chassis & jockey wheel, & simply repainted the lot!

Will try your formula & see if the BT returns to normal. thanks for the advice.

Neil

A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570399

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:14
Neil, it does a particluarly good job of removing the red pindan dirt - especially when it arrived and stuck onto the Bt when it was wet? The Alooominum around the Bt comes up really bright and shiny and I reckon to took off about 70% of the crap off the A frame - which is 100% more than anything else I have tried. Maybe a couple of retreats may get the rest off.

Now all I have to do is get the Dragon to believe it's her turn to clean it next time round.

John
FollowupID: 847091

Reply By: Offagain - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:53

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:53
Hi there John,

We've have used Kero inside the van with excellent results also. The smell dissappears after a short time, especially if you spray a little homemade lavender spray around too. We just use it on a damp cloth neat and it brings up the woodwork and floor like new. We tried it for the first time after seeing it used in a Caravan Park ammenities block with wonderful results. It may also repell ants - or at least we hope so!

Josie & Michael
AnswerID: 570400

Our Sponsors