Air Conditioner Rattle follow-up

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 07:51
ThreadID: 123283 Views:4169 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I guess I am just lucky! To have a problem that no one else does! No response to my previous posting indicates I am on my own with this one.

I have contacted three Dometic service organisations & none have had this problem, nor can they supply the rubber grommet spares I would like to replace.

I believe Dometic have now superseded my model CAL-136 Air Con with a new series.

My problem could possibly be a result of being seriously overloaded for an outback adventure. Too much gear, tools, spares, food, beer, & things that ‘just might come in handy’. Maybe that was it?

Anyhow, the FIX!!

Seeing that the fan motor rides on four rubber grommets that sit on a ‘knife-edge’ 1.5mm steel, I decided it needed improvement.

I cut two pieces of 19mm steel tube (old chrome towel rail) 12mm long then cut each in half. These ‘cups’ were then opened up a bit to be the same shape as the original grommet. I then filed-out the mounting bracket, down 2mm for the grommet, plus 1.2mm for the thickness of the tube, & filed out the sides to accommodate the tube ‘cups’.
These cups were then welded onto the frame to make a support for the grommet.

The top half of the original hole was not touched, so that what is left of the grommet can be located as normal.

The bottom half of each grommet is now supported by its full width of 12mm instead of 1.5mm.

Should work!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 08:22

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 08:22
Good luck with it Neil, sometimes good old fashioned Aussie ingenuity is needed.
AnswerID: 570452

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:42

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 at 23:42
Sounds like a good engineering fix - well done.

John
AnswerID: 570453

Reply By: Silver Fox - Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 03:50

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 at 03:50
Sounds good. Any chance of pics of the finished product. One never knows when Murphy could inflict another fellow traveller with such a dilemma. Then one could say "a..ha, I know how to fix that." Your descriptive words are fine but ...a pic is worth........... cheers, Neil.
AnswerID: 570454

Our Sponsors