oil coolers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:34
ThreadID: 123321 Views:3897 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi

has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a patrol i know later ones have these near the filters. mine is a 1999 td4.2 and it does not have a cooler................anyone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 19:02

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 19:02
Hello Boggers,

Sidewinder, I am not up on Nissan Engineering, but I would suggest you investigate if maybe the easy and simple answer is to get the parts from a wrecking yard to update the Nissan. I have found the wrecking yards to be a valuable asset since I was building Chevys back as far a 1968. Just a thought, but I would bet an easy and cheap answer....

If you have been reading this Forum for long, you know the lone Ranger experiments around with toys and gear all the time, 7 days a week....

With just this in mind, possibly for the F-250's additional inline transmission cooling, I have just received an inexpensive Oil Cooler, on sale from DPP (Discount Power Parts). They are at Sales@DiscountPowerParts.com and this cooler is a Transtar, Fluidyne, oil cooler. This is worth a look as it cost only $50 U.S. and measures 18.5 X 2.5 X 9 inches. I was thinking about additional inline, as in adding it inline to the standard oil cooler.... Location is always a problem, I was thinking of somewhere tucked up in the chassis rail, possibly with a fan on it, for HUGE towing jobs on my own truck... To add it in front of everything else is just to heat the air already cooling the existing radiator, and transmission cooler, and intercooler, so in front is out. But with a simple ignition run 12 fan, this kind of cooler can be remote mounted anywhere stones will not reach it, and is the standard for hydraulic systems and auxiliary transmission oil coolers...

Tinker, Tinker, Tinker, aren't I lucky that I get to do it Professionally fulltime????
Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570590

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 19:25

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 19:25
hello

thanks for the info....good idea. i wnet the the DPP site but could not find the unit you noted in the response.. i did find this but...can you comment on suitablity please.

it look like just the job.

cheers
AnswerID: 570591

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 21:39

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 at 21:39
Sorry Sidewinder, no link....
But I would still check out the wrecking yards before I did anything else. Odds are in favor of picking up and adapting parts to your Nissan.. Regards...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 847211

Reply By: The paca people - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2007 at 00:14

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2007 at 00:14
Hi Sidewinder,

We had a '96 GQ Patrol 4.2 diesel with aftermarket Safari turbo (no intercooler) fitted from new. We purchased "Myrtle" at 75,000 km, towed a 2+ tonne Windsor to Geelong and at 100kph (had to make a wedding on-time), then home to WA at 90kph; next trip 17,000km to Darwin and down the West Coast.

Then in late '04 we moved up to an 18' BT at 2,280kg tare and nearly 3 tonnes gross. Towed it to the BT Works & '05 Rally, Broome, Esperance, etc.all at 80 to 85kph. Have had absolutely no overheating of engine or transmission in all that towing [except for the 'dash' to Geelong in 5th gear in '93 which warmed up the gearbox somewhat].
Since then we ALWAYS tow in 4th gear.

Have now reluctantly sold "Myrtle" (she just 'turtled' along with her house on her back [almost] ) and purchased a '99 LC 1HZ105 4.2 diesel which has a Sprintex Supercharger fitted at 150,000km. Cannot report on performance yet as we have not towed the BT with it but will be setting off on The Big One in June.

Reason for the tow vehicle change was
a.) to avoid running foul of NSW and QLD boys-in-blue and our Insurer with tow rating problems (2.8t max on Patrol compared with 3.5t on LC 1HZ105); and
b.) could not stop the dreaded front end shimmy which is a design problem with Patrols [ if one looks at the mounting of the steering damper to the panhard rod instead of being connected to the chassis then one starts to se the probably origin of the shimmy problem ! ]

Despit all that, we really didnot ever seem to need an additional cooler on the Patrol.

Cheers from Martin B.
AnswerID: 570592

Our Sponsors