under floor insulation

Submitted: Monday, Feb 26, 2007 at 02:46
ThreadID: 123362 Views:13705 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I read an article regarding under floor insulation on a rv that was used in Alaska,the thought occurs that the heat radiated to the floor of a van whilst travelling and when parked at night will contribute to the internal temp.and to the load (energy use) on the A/C and wouldn't it be a good move to block this heat with insulation,this applies to the cold as well Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Feb 26, 2007 at 21:27

Monday, Feb 26, 2007 at 21:27
Peter,
We have done it, there are a number of board insulation styles materials available. But it ends up being a sandwich and is unnecessary expense and weight... Heat comes in mostly from radiated heat of the sun, that is why we have three inches of insulation in the roof. We would have the highest insulation factor of any van... The floor is only a factor for contact on the feet in the cold... Cold, now that is real, but a pair of sheep skin slippers is far cheaper and easier to pack around. While we have done it, for avid skiers in snow country types, maybe justifiable... But not really even then For the rest of us, it is expensive and unnecessary.. Get the Webasto heater and a pair of slippers...

The truth is, even with a sandwich core insulated floor like we have done, you are still going to want the sheepskin slippers or wooly socks in the frost. The floor will still be cool to cold. But my Webasto Heater has done my 22' van in the worst cold snap in 25 years... I would concentrate on the Webasto and not worry about the floor.... Here is an answer for you, far more important...

Tip #58, Arctic Blast, or “How I love thee, Webasto, let me count the ways!!”

Friday night, getting cold isn’t it??? I am asking around …. About 4 PM, done training the horses for the Caboolture Reining Show on the next day, and they did not even break a sweat! My cheeks are stinging and ears burning a little…. Throws a deep memory in the “Lone Ranger” of work in the “High Sierras” in winter.. Uh-Oh, someone said it was only 7 degrees at 3 PM on their way there… Now I started to notice, and checked, 5 degrees at 4PM! And the sun was not even down! Unheard of in Queensland!! Webasto heater on….!

By dark it was near Zero! That was a cold, cold night, we were near in shock here in Qld! The Webasto stayed on all night… I have a 22’ van and ended up getting up in the middle of the night to turn it down a bit… Found my Daughter had a window open a bit, was actually to hot!! That force air diesel heater is an absolute Marvel…!

Could not plug in, saved by the Webasto heater… We found out later that was the coldest snap in this area in 25 years!! My hat goes off to a Fantastic Product… Expensive, but well worth it if you are not on a budget… WOW!

A nudder tall tale in da Bush, from da “Lone Ranger”….

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570718

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:01

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:01
y're right on,,wooly uggs the way to go and a Webasto
FollowupID: 847285

Follow Up By: TripnTaps - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 19:48

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 19:48
Got the Webasto - fantastic wouldn't build a BT without one.
It would seem I'm up for the type of carpet that Bob 'Turist' & Angie 'Babe' have in their BT's .... or making a SET of UGS for my dog.... aka Princess Isabella in residence!!

Cheers,
Helen
FollowupID: 847286

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 20:53

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2007 at 20:53
Hi helen,
The carpet is "Walkertek" or "Watertex" (Brain fade)
It is lightweight, rubber backed and almost indestructable.
Take it out at the end of a trip and hose it down.
Graham & Jan fitted some and they pressure wash theirs.
Keeps the feet warm and protects the vinyl from scratches.
Easy to cut with trimming knife and scissors.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 847287

Our Sponsors