TIP # 152, The new Reece Hitch “TOW BOSS” and What BIG Really Is !!

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2007 at 22:16
ThreadID: 123398 Views:3969 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I think this is the First One in Australia… And it is only for really BIG Bushtracker vans being towed by larger tow vehicles like Dodge, Chevrolet, and Fords… Yea, Yea, another crazy bit of Research from the lone Ranger, always pushing the limits…. But HEY, that is what Bushtracker is all about… But before you write it off, even if you do not want to two BIG, look at the whole TIP to see the real Gooseneck value for a drop hitch to get you down to the right level..

This is the TOW BOSS, and a Drop Hitch version for “Tall” trucks, this is what the Gooseneck really means…(There is the normal straight version as well)…

This is for the full Imports only, with the larger Reece Hitch … And they come with an insert that slides out to accommodate this larger cross section 2.5” drop Gooseneck ball mount that slides into the Receiver with the insert sleeve removed… But you can order this Reece hitch to take the larger 2.5” Goosenecks to suit the Australian Fords and the like.. Those of you with custom beds, raised ground clearance, lift kits, this gets you back down to the proper towing height with this version that is an actual drop hitch. I have really done this TIP for your benefit as well.

Hitch 1700 lbs, in kg: 7711 Kilograms, and 771 kg ball weight…

My F-350 is legal for:
15000 lbs, in kgs: 6803 kg, and 660 kg ball weight.. That is BIG TIME ! I would have to tow a little Dozer around on my 20’ farm trailer to need that…! Ha!

You would only hit the upper limits of this hitch with an F-450, or larger Dodge Cummins or the like…
Cost? About $105 plus freight, call it $250 landed there abouts…

Now why this posting, as it is WAAAY outside the limits of Toyota and the Australian Fords? Because I keep getting people that want larger vans. A fully equipped Big Bustracker of 24’, with say 300-400 kg of Optional Equipment can weigh close to 3000 kg, even a little over. Myself, I have a 22’ with more gear than ever put into a Bushtracker as I am testing things, and 8 water tanks, and four batteries, and four panels, and more than you want to hear about, with water tanks full, about 650 kg just in water… I can weigh close to 3200-3400 kg. ! I could break the limits of a 3500kg hitch very easily. And the van is big enough, if I really packed it in I could go to 4000kg… (Some people carry tooooo much on board).. Now the Australian Fords can do this, with the Optional Hitch for them up to 4500 kg. But larger? You have to go to the full Import trucks… And this Reece Receiver and this sort of TOW BOSS…

Some people want more, like Tri-Axle Bushtracker homes, and if you are going to get carried away, this is the kind of gear you need. The Full Import Fords, Chevrolet, and Dodges, are equipped to tow much higher loads. This hitch is part of the overall package if you are headed to the upper limits of things.. I must also remind you that if you exceed the 4500 kg, you have to have Air Brakes as well on the caravan… Soooo, as a matter of interest, while there are upper limits to what is practical, this Reece Hitch is NOT ONE OF THEM!! Ha!

Now Boggers with Custom Trucks, HERE IS THE TRUE VALUE: I got it for a whole different reason yet… If you notice, it has about a 4” drop hitch, a TRUE GOOSENECK, you hear the term, but this is what it really means… It is a miss used sort of term here in Oz… This is an example of a real one… Ha! My truck has a Pro-Comp 4” lift in the back and 2” in the front, so it rides level with maximum ground clearance when fully loaded. This hitch gives me a huge towing capacity, but also the gooseneck drop hitch to mate up to the Bushtracker… And here is a true drop gooseneck hitch…!! With those of you that have gone to higher ground clearance and lift kits, this is the answer to do a proper drop hitch. If you do not have the Receiver to match, you can order it as well, but it gives you the drop hitch you need. I see this problem now and then with some Custom canopies and such, and the hitch receiver ends up being too high.. Here is an easy way to go..

A Nudder “Tall Tale” from the lone Ranger…. Exploring the unknown is what I do…..!!!

This one is moved up just for you Brownie, a bit more of interesting reading and pictures..
Ha! Regards from the lone Ranger....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 19:24

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 at 19:24
Boggers, as second thought here, for those of you getting custom parts out of America... I cannot recommend Discount Power Parts enough, such was their great service. They remind me of me... Ha!

Their Website is www.discount power parts.com ( no spaces)... Talk to them on sales@discount power parts.com (no spaces, I put them in the address, so it did not create a Link on this message, and you could see the address. )

Anyway, what a hassle for them, shipping things to Oz... One Tow Boss package lost, replaced, another shipped, Customs Declarations, trips to the Post Office, on and on.... And they persevered and came through with shining colours!!

The Guys at DPP, Discount Power Parts, really have outdone themselves. They are the definition of Friendly Customer Service, even calling me by phone in Australia!!! Larry and Patrick, my Public Thank You's, for Service "Above and Beyond the Call of Duty"..

Friendly, knowledgable, good Service and Help, seems like a commodity sometimes short in supply in this world. But not at DPP. Good Guys!

My heavy TOW BOSS finally arrived, and the case of the special Ford Synthetic for the new transmissions- Mercon SP to tide me over until a steady source here shows... I have gotten quit a bit of gear from them, suspension parts, lift kits, ladder racks, shocks, all sorts of gear and advice. So far they have not missed a beat. And it was a hassle to ship gear International, I send them my sincere Thanks...

And best wishes to all......... Lone Ranger...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570820

Our Sponsors