Towing Mirrors

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 01:23
ThreadID: 123419 Views:5893 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Bogs,
Does anyone have any recommendations on towing mirrors that can handle corrugation ok? currently using Orca mirrors although they "vibration resistant" they certainy are not corrugation resistant!

Thanks in advance,

Paul & Beccy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sassy Sam - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:43

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:43
Hi Paul and Beccy,
I tried the Orca mirrors when I first picked up my Bushtracker. By the time I got back to Melbourne I was totally fed up with them. Went back to the supplier and he immediately replaced them with Aussie Truck Mirrors. I haven't had a problem since and swear by them. Apparently the Orca's are reasonable for a petrol 4WD but unsuitable for a turbo diesel vehicle. Give them a try, I haven't met anyone who hasn't been happy with them.

Happy travelling.
Sheryl
AnswerID: 570887

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:39

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:39
What has the type of fuel one uses got to do with the mirrors on the car
FollowupID: 847391

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:43

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:43
Orca make two types of mirrors - extension clip-ons, and independent mirrors with large magnetic pad to the door.

I have the latter:

PROS
Never had them move when in tow mode.

CONS
When you remove and store the mirrors, they are easy to bump and then lose their settings.
I think if you use them longterm, the magnetic pads are likely to mark/polish the door paintwork, especially in dusty conditions.
AnswerID: 570888

Reply By: Kenso - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:19

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:19
Thanks Phil, Loraine & Sheryl,
I reckon the Aussie Truck mirrors might be the way to go. The rubbing with the magnetic pad as you said Phil, may be a problem in the long run! A pity no-one makes those nifty pull out mirrors for other vehicles like the F series have.

Kenso
AnswerID: 570889

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:37

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 00:37
Yea, hate to tell you Kenso, but the latest ones from the full Import Fords like my new King Ranch edition are even better... (To match the truck....)
Don't mean to be skiting, but here is what they have now.... should be in them all....

Power,Remote control,
Plus pull out for wider view,
Plus elongated fish eye view in each, below the mirror,
Plus heated anti-fog,
AND turn indicators and running lights in them....

Wow, the lone Ranger is spoiled now... Like a horse with wings or something...! After Four Months now it is still a TREAT to drive home in the leather... Thank God for Tax Deductions... Ha! LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 847392

Reply By: Kenso - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:08

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:08
Oh yeah! I saw those on the sides of the Space Shuttle the other day!!

Kenso
AnswerID: 570890

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:16

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:16
Yea!
And you will get to see it in ACTION on the new DVD... Ha!

Now with reining horse sillouettes both sides and back, "400 horses" logo, and after four months still a real thrill to drive home in!!! Life is fun with a good horse....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 847393

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:42

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:42
QUOTE.."Life is fun with a good horse" better with a woman ,,,,hahahahahahLOL ROTFLMAO
AnswerID: 570891

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 18:43

Thursday, Mar 22, 2007 at 18:43
I dunno....

I know which one is more expensive, after 30 years with my Wife....
I know which one is spoiled and wants to stay with the city life....

I know which one is better company in getting you around in the Bush in remote places, doing a bit of exploring and all that goes with it...

I know which one complains less, and will serve you 25 years or more and is a passport where ever you want to travel in Australia, with Stations and Showgrounds opening up for you.... Dunno, don't make me choose..... Ha!.... LOL...

AND.... My horses are an absolute CHICK MAGNET !!!! ... If She were to give me the flick (not a chance), but if She did I wouldn't be too lonely too long... Horses are the tops !!! Heck, traveling with horses, you have to beat the Ladies off with a stick!!! Don't knock it, you might be surprised. !!!!!!!!!

Ha ! Ha ! Lol...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 847394

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 20:43

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 20:43
orright if u tink so,but i still cant figure what fuel has to do with the side mirrors???? maybe i shouldnt pursue it hahahaha
AnswerID: 570892

Follow Up By: Sassy Sam - Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 02:26

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 02:26
I was told, wrongly or rightly that there is more vibration in the vehicle from a diesel motor than there is from a petrol motor. Don't know if it is true but do know that the Aussie Truck Mirrors work a treat.
Regards
Sheryl
FollowupID: 847395

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 19:13

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 19:13
Gotta go with the Aussie Truck Mirrors - we got ours ready for day 1 with Mobi having had the old "extenda bar across the bonnet thingos" for many frustrating years. We set the Truck ones, they stay put over what ever track and no matter what sized road train goes past us in either direction at what ever speed. When we take them off when Mobi is not hitched and then put them back on - Presto they are ready to roll!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 847396

Follow Up By:- Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 20:16

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 20:16
Quote Sassy Sam....".was told, wrongly or rightly that there is more vibration in the vehicle from a diesel motor than there is from a petrol motor"

Mmmmmmmmmmm,,,,welll perhaps,,,,, maybe the injectors need cleaning ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Aussie truck mirrors seem to solve the problem so problem is solved
FollowupID: 847397

Reply By: Freewheelers - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:46

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:46
hi all
we 've got aussie truck mirros & find them good but could do better
they have to be placed carefully so as not to damage your window rubbers
we also installed a split pin vertically through the main body of the mirror support & the arm that extends to lock them together as we found that on corrugations the arm would wiggle out good now & removal of the split pin allows easly pull apart for storage
we have also set the drivers mirror to its correct position & then tightened up the 3 screws so if you install it in the same door position every time the no adjustment is necessary
have an idea to manufacture a better mirror need some electrical design expertise if anybody is interested give me a call cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 570893

Reply By: Kenso - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 23:41

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 23:41
Very Interesting..... just had a call from Ora Mirrors and I explained why I was not happy with their mirrors and were going to order some Aussie truck mirrors. "WAIT!!" the lady said! "we have some new mirrors just arrived that are similar in design to the ATM's but far better" will send you a set free off charge, just send back the old ones" OK, we will try them out and give you guys a report and photos if they are any good.

Kenso
AnswerID: 570894

Follow Up By: Wally's a Bushie - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:14

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:14
Go with the cameras! I dont use additional mirrors.
I have three cameras mounted on the BT.
One rear centre
one each left and right front corner looking back olingside side. May not meet the "written law" but I believe I would be able to put up a good argument to any overzealous Policeman. There are NO blind spots.
Sound In Motion did the job during BT construction.
FollowupID: 847398

Our Sponsors