Bushtracker the DVD

Submitted: Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:01
ThreadID: 123423 Views:5117 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Called in at BT today and was given a copy of the Bushtracker DVD to watch, here is an honest opinion.

Now i was using a friends dvd player and it took me a few minutes [quite a few actually] to get the dvd to get off the main opening loop to be able to play the movie, in those few minutes the music looping through got to the point i just had to turn the volume down but once i got the movie to start playing away we went........Deliverence style with Banjo's playing LOL

Vickie and i both thought that Steve [Ranger] looked more at ease out in the bush than he did at the factory, wouldn't we all be LOL, it's got to beat work! When Steve gave us the DVD he stressed to us that it wasn't about gung ho crashing up the trails but more a gentle approach to the tracks and the places that the vans revel in and that was the case, we were impressed in the suspension as the vans crept up and down some of the tracks, had to giggle at Tracy's truck becoming forwardly challenged but thats the reality of trecking through isolated area's, always be prepared!

Beautiful landscapes & photography, some fantastic looking camp spots, but the voice over kept reminding me of Russell Coight, whereas Steve's chats came over as relaxed but not as relaxed as Tracy, Matt looked good sitting in the chair. Steve became an Oscar contender when he started talking about the fossicking, Wild colts and taking the time to take in the views, you can see where his heart lays, all good stuff! Oh and word from the Bushtracker Director is "The Bushtracker Lifestyle is all about Scotch and Ice" YES it was said and i'd have to agree LOL.

Things we would have liked to have seen were:

More talk about the Vans and their self sufficiency, ie; solar and suspension system etc,

Perhaps mention some examples of sizes & layouts, how long BT have been manufacturing etc, places where owners have taken their BT's etc.

And bloopers! everyone loves bloopers! lol

Overall we enjoyed it for what it was, it raised a few laughs and considering it's their 1st DVD we think it's way better than the Caravan & Motorhome DVD's but perhaps we are biased and just love to watch BT's out in the bush.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 11-UPS - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:22

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:22
Mick & Vickie

Thought the one from C&M was very ordinary,but haven't seen BT one yet.
Have done the big move and finally made OZ my home address for as long as it lasts.

Regards
Darrell &Jackie
AnswerID: 570900

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:08

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:08
Well,
It might be that we have a not so USER FRIENDLY menu? If anyone else has trouble, we will have to ask all of the copies to be destroyed and make new ones... The way it was set up, you Navigate to the Play Button until the Text goes black.... And then press OK or Play....

Then you come up with a Menu, and you have to Navigate again, to the top left box which is titled START..... Then push PLAY or OK... And it starts....

NOW OTHER BOGGERS, IF THIS IS A PROBLEM, PLEASE DESTROY ALL COPIES, AND SEND ME AN ADDRESS AGAIN TO BUSHTRACKER AND WE WILL REPLACE THEM WITH A SIMPLER MENU SELECTION... PLEASE DO NOT MAKE COPIES OF THEM IF IT IS FRUSTRATING FOR THE AVERAGE DVD PLAYER OR PERSON...

Regards, Ranger....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570901

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:22

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:22
Hi Steve, i'll give it another try today, it may well be me using an unfamiliar remote control, one other thing i did notice is it seems 'made' for wide screen TV on the Sq format screen we were watching it some of the text was 'off the screen'

Congrats tho, we enjoyed it and certainly an excellent effort for your 1st BT movie
FollowupID: 847402

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:49

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 19:49
OK, i see what the problem was for me. Indeed the movie suits wide screen TV's and on the TV i was viewing it is Sq sized and i cannot see the full 3 icons along the bottom. I just tried again and i had the same problem getting it to play the feature BUT i did get it to play the factory tour which i was not aware was actually 'THE' factory tour.

So i take back my suggestion about including more information for prospective BT owners, it's all there under factory tour.

Steve, others trying to view this on a Sq format TV may well have the same problem i have had. I see two icons, the factory tour and a black arrow which i presumed was play but pushing OK on the remote over the arrow just gave me the start looping over, I feel it may be the 1st icon on the bottom left hand corner [i can just see a partial piece of it] is the play button ?

FollowupID: 847403

Follow Up By: BushBoss - Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 05:00

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 05:00
Hi Steve
thank you for the opportunity to view and review your first dvd. Received it Thursday and put it straight into the player. I also had problems getting it to play. Tried it on two different players on different tv's. Finally got it to play, dont know how and watched it to the end. Very well done. Not the bash em up type dvd that are around today to show customers how strong their vans are. Caravaning is supposed to be a way of life. Relaxing and enjoyable. The dvd shows that with a bushtracker you can very safely get away from the crowds to some very beautiful places. But even more so to get home safely without damage to van or vehicle. Really wanted to look at the factory tour but could not work out how to start it. After seeing your answer to this i will give it another go because i feel that the factory tour will compliment and provide the complete package. Will provide more feedback after watching the tour.... if i can get it to play.
Regards Lance
FollowupID: 847404

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 23:09

Saturday, Mar 24, 2007 at 23:09
Er -Yes we had trouble with the format bizzo - tried and tried and trrriiieeedddd! to get the T.V. picture format to show all the screen which seemed to be frustratingly half hidden off each side.
Then I got to the DVD recorder / player and reset the screen ratio to 16:9 instead of 4:3 and Bingo Arms wobbled every where as they shot up to say BINGO!

So now we will sit and do our ultra picky preview (being Docoholics) with all the bits and bobs of the menu easier to see and choose!

Back maybe tomorrow with our "Critique"
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 847405

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 23, 2007 at 20:20
I must admit, for the four months effort to do this, I was a bit taken aback by your first Review..... But now that you have clarified that your Friends TV cut off the Menu portion............. maybe it is not so bad...

I am also relieved that you did not see the Factory Tour Portion, so the rest of your critique is also modified with that discovery.. Thank you for taking the time...

And by the way, it is funny how chance would have it. I reflect that on every occasion you have come to Bushtracker, I have had an extremely busy day and am a bit jacked up... That is just chance, evolving your opinion... Some other person might see me on only two occasions when I was a bit cranky about something, and get the impression I was always so... It is also a bit of chance involved.

Other than clean shaven like I am now that I am back in civilization, with no moustache, all clean and shiney; my overall state is more the relaxed version on the DVD, or more so yet, as the camera made me a little up tight trying to cover the ground... Regardless, thank you for taking the time to write the Review....

From your first Review (we will wait for the rest before mass production), it sounds like we accomplished our Goals, of trying to pass on a "middle of the track" example of what the Bushtracker Lifestyle really is... For the sake of the Newbies that have trepidations about what it is really about or how hard you have to go roughing it...
When in reality, it is about a very good and easy going "Quality of Life" which is what we were trying to portray in some fantastic scenery spots in Central Queensland...

Regards, Ranger.
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 570902

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 01:13

Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 01:13
OK - we got the 16:9 thingy ma jig sorted and have watched the DVD with our ever critical Docoholic eyeballs and related brain cells.
We found the DVD to be just soooo good. The menu was easy to use too with the correct aspect ratio setting of the TV and the DVD player.
We also watched the factory tour and found it was true to life (having been there done that).
Our main criticism is the, faster than we like, panning at the start of the factory tour bit.

We also wonder about the seemingly degraded pixelisation of some of the distance shots at the start of the day 1 section - it appears as if a digital zoom has been employed at the end of optical zoom range of a digital camera.
We also noted some "pixelisation" of details of vehicles moving across the screen - this could be related to the refresh rate of our viewing equipment or again may be related to zoom of the camera lens.

HOWEVER they are technical bits.

The main content of the DVD was absolutely enjoyable, the scenery made us drool, (now a map / trip note pack of those places will have to be published) the terrain handling of the BT was so well shown, the take it slow & easy message a great pleasure to us, the Chef was pretty good too - at least the meals looked good - :-).

We have watched many Doco's and ARB type DVD's as well as other Caravan Manufacturer's Videos & DVD's and think this BT one is a GREAT, genuine, True Blue and straight shooting production.

We found ourselves thinking "Wow - we should get one of those and get out there and see our beautiful land!" (we still have to get to used to the idea that we actually have one and can go use when ever!)
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 847406

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 05:33

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 05:33
Uh!Oh! gotta take back that bit about the pixelation and vehicle movement across the screen!
I saw it happen on a movie today too! Must NOT be the BT DVD after all! Sorry!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 847407

Our Sponsors