Setting up Ozi Explorer for PDA

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 29, 2007 at 21:58
ThreadID: 123440 Views:4398 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I was wondering if I could seek help and advice from some generous member (preferably located in Brisbane) who is familiar with Ozi Explorer and its various uses.I am currently trying to set up Ozi Explorer software and configure some Hema raster maps for use on my PDA. I am familiar with other navigation programs (Copilot) but am having trouble coming to grips on how to use Ozi Explorer and would greatly appreciate discussing some of the issues face to face with someone who is familiar with the program.
At the end of April we are planning an extended 6 month trip in our 18' BT out from Brisbane across to Central Australia via the Strezlecki and Oodnadatta tracks and across the Tanami to WA and the various remote areas of the Kimberleys and Pilbara regions. It would be good to be able to use Ozi Explorer with at least a small amount of expertise by then.

Thanks in anticipation of someone's generous nature.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Friday, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:03

Friday, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:03
John
I hail from Brisbane but at the moment I'm camped at Renmark SA en route to WA.
You could try Johnny Appleseed GPS at Ipswich Road Annerley... they sell everything for GPS, and I have found them quite helpful. Alternatively, you could contact the program's author, Des Newman, who lives at Bridgeman Downs- try OE's email or help.
I have toyed with the idea of attaching a PDA- much easier than trying to convince the co-pilot that she needs a computer on her lap!. However, in all our travels, I've simply used the Garmin 60 GPS alone in the car, with routes and waypoints loaded from OziExplorer. After all you have to be really OFF road to not have a bit of an idea where you are, using the GPS alone!
Still, I hanker for a moving map display.
Good luck
Bob
AnswerID: 570935

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 21:56

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 21:56
John,
I am no 'expert' but have found the ozi explorer website pretty good, there is also a users forum - Ozi-UsersCE Moderator [Ozi-UsersCE-owner@yahoogroups.com] - try an email to them if all else fails.

I run an ASUS PDA with in-built moving screen GPS and run Ozi Explorer CE, thats the only version that will run on a PDA - as far as I know. It is very cheap to buy about $40 from memory - but you also need a full version on your laptop. I use Natmaps 1:250,000 for the whole of aussie from a two DVD set.

I have had the odd glitch with the PDA it is sometimes cranky about loading files or not shutting down or moving between screens etc - however the reset button usually solves the problem.

Moving map is definitely the go - just so easy.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 570936

Our Sponsors