First Review on the Twin Turbo V-8 Landcruiser Trayback....

Submitted: Friday, Mar 30, 2007 at 18:22
ThreadID: 123442 Views:4436 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
lone Ranger here....
I just got my first report on the Toyota twin Turbo V-8 trayback yesterday, and it was not very good... And I would not repeat this review, except that I got it from a really credible source, that "Lives the Legend"..... The report came from a big time 3 Station Owner, now retired and down to his "last 20,000 or so Breeders" that sort of person that started with nothing and is a bit of a "Legend of the Outback Trails".... And anyway he buys at least one new trayback every year for one Station or another now run by his three Sons.

His people came down to the "Big Smoke" to look at the new V-8 Cruiser and the report was "Naw, too soft underneath".... They turned it down?????? !!!!!!

They are scrambling now trying to by any 78 Series traybacks left at Dealerships, as we speak... So if you to a Toyota Dealer, OK look at the interior.... And OK, go and pop the bonnet.... But a word of advice from the lone Ranger: Lay down and look up underneath to see what they were really on about.

I have not seen it yet myself, so I cannot tell you, and I hate to repeat a rumour like this, except I highly respect the Source... But check it out and see why they said it was a "No Go" in the rough... "Too much soft stuff hanging down underneath"... This may infact not matter to most Bushtracker Owners that just want a good 4x4 tow vehicle, but it is worth the consideration.

Knowing the source, I would doubt there is not some truth in this, and they thought it was a step down for Toyota from the perspective of crawling over rocks and timber and washouts and such on their Stations. They were keen on giving me an invite, and it sounds like Bushtracker Country, and He is keen on Bushtracker; just not the new Tojo trayback ute. Maybe lay underneath and take in the view of what you see..... And decide if you are really going that rough or not... If not, it may still be the top new tow vehicle in the market with the twin turbo V-8 Diesel..

IF the fuel economy is better.. I am certainly interested in those reports towing as they come in...

Regards, Ranger.
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 05:08

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 05:08
Pity - the concept sounded good. I was looking forward to having a look at one.

I agree the best position for reviewing tow cars and vans is from the horizontal and underneath. I was going to add a comment about ladies - but that could be dangerous!

Regards

John
AnswerID: 570939

Reply By: Bow & Nan - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:09

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:09
The new V8 is only a single turbo not twin turbo 150kw 400Nm. They are saving the twin V8 for the 200 series to be released in September
I had a quick look underneath and there is little protection for the sump and H150 gear box.
The new 4 door wagon has a wheelbase of 2730 which will cause problems towing larger vans. Only has one 90L fuel tank,not good enough.
Put my Cheque book away and walked out
I will Wait until September and have a look at the new 200 series
Greg
AnswerID: 570940

Our Sponsors