Invertors

Submitted: Friday, Apr 13, 2007 at 21:27
ThreadID: 123495 Views:4566 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have read the thread re retro fit of invertors and am a it confused now. We have a preloved van with BTi invertor fitted - the question is do I need to switch the charger off at the 240v plug when running the invertor ?

The instructions, that appear to be generic, say don't have the charger on but it appears from the thread that in the BTi wired vans this circuit is separate from the other 240v outlets?

Can someone please confirm before I actually use the invertor.

Regards

Big W
Helen & Wayne

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Friday, Apr 13, 2007 at 22:34

Friday, Apr 13, 2007 at 22:34
Hi Big W,

Our van is 2004 vintage & has circuitry designed by Bushtracker that allows the battery charger to be left on while the Inverter is being used without any unwanted effects.
I would guess that this was a problem solved by Bushtracker early in the piece of fitting both Inverters & Battery chargers.

If this circuit was not provided the inverter would drive the battery charger, which would charge the batterys running the inverter, & eventually the batterys would go flat. Not a desirable effect! I would be surprised if all BT's did not have this circuit.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 571129

Follow Up By: Fred & Marj - Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 01:51

Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 01:51
Thanks Neil

Our van is a 2001 vintage - does anyone out there have a van the same or older who can confirm the separate circuit pleae?

Regards
Wayne
Helen & Wayne

FollowupID: 847547

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 02:21

Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 02:21
Wayne why not just switch on your inverter and check if there is power supply to the battery charger.
Do this without mains connected.

Another check to se if auto switching to inverter in case of mains failure works is to connect mains power and switch on inverter.
Connect a mains appliance, a light is best, to an internal mains outlet.
Disconnect mains power. If auto switching available the light will remain on.
Works like a UPS system.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 571130

Follow Up By: Fred & Marj - Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 02:27

Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 02:27
Thanks Bob

I will do the first check - not sure my van has auto switching the inverter instructions warn that mains should not be on. But you suggestion is what I need to prove then charger question.

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

FollowupID: 847548

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 04:36

Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 04:36
Wayne,

If your Inverter had auto switching the incoming power from the caravan would go to the inverter first and then to the main switch board. In this way when there is external power connected, and electro magnetic field is produced that automatically turns the power from battery powered Inverter to the mains power, and when external power is lost it switches back again.

I only found this out when we had a problem with the mains power connection in the inverter, and a friend who is an electrical engineer pulled it apart, fixed the problem and gave a basic explanation of how it all works.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 847549

Reply By: Bato - Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 20:39

Saturday, Apr 14, 2007 at 20:39
Wayne,
We have just sold our 2001 BT with a 1000 watt inverter.It did not have auto switching.It was necessary to be sure the inverter was turned off before connecting to mains power other wise damage could occur to the inverter.I will be taking delivery of our new BT in July and it will have auto switching.

Keith.
Bato Keith & Susan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 571131

Follow Up By: Fred & Marj - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 19:04

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 19:04
Thanks Keith

I had a good investigation over the weekend and you are correct my van does not have auto switching and the warning provided not to operate both together is right.

I also checked out the charger wiring and it is on a separate direct 240V outlet and not associated with the inverter power at all therefore can remain plugged in and switched on at all times.

Thanks very much for your assistance - good luck with your new BT, hope to catch up on the road - we are nearly ready to slip away and spend the next few years wandering.

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

FollowupID: 847550

Our Sponsors