Lemair Washing Machine

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:51
ThreadID: 123513 Views:4908 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Lemair washing machine that is carried under the bed.
When required I lift it out and use it beside the van.
When stored I position the Lemair onto the original packing that supports the motor assembly. This stops the “Floating” motor assembly from moving around when travelling.

To make life a little easier I am thinking to make the inside installation permanent by fitting water/drain connections etc and standing the Lemair in a waterproof tray in case of spillage.

This will mean that the motor will no longer sit on a support and will be free to move around.

My question is to those that have a Lemair fully installed.
Have you travelled on bad roads and has the Lemair given any problems having the motor free to move?

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:28

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:28
Bob, as you know we have a lemaire built into a cupboard at the back of our van. When BT installed it someone put a strap across the top of it to stop extra movement in transit. We don't tend to use the strap when we travel and it has not been a problem, even when we travelled over pretty rough roads getting into the station at the back of Bourke. It is still operating just as well as the day we first got it. However, Ivan said it can leak when you put too much water into it or it has too many clothes. He reckons it's probably from the big hole at the top.

Angie
AnswerID: 571183

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:36

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:36
Bob,
We have just done one in a locker, with a fiberglassed in locker bottom about 300-400mm high all around it with a drain the bottom.... Hand laid up FG like the shower ensuite area..

Looks good, works well... Do that when you order your new van...

In all fairness, Lemair has had the best track record... Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 571184

Follow Up By: Sue & Jeff - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:28

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:28
FollowupID: 847575

Reply By: dazmit - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:20

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:20
Hi Bob

I take it you mean the wash drum assembly floating around - I just wedge approx 5 thick pieces of foam between the top of the drum and machine case (around the edge of the drum) to stop it moving around when not in use.
You could probably get spiffy and use a couple pieces of polystyrene foam and make a bit that fits into the top part under the lid with another piece the size of the drum under it to locate the drum - whether it is really required I have no idea.

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 571185

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:25

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:25
Our Lemair is mounted and plumbed in under the bed, sitting on a shallow sided rubber mat and strapped back against the "bed wall/bulkhead ?, and padded with some 75mm foam. The bowl always has the foam insert (that comes with it when first purchased), replaced when travelling and so far has suffered no ill affects from any roads including the "Gibb River Road" and the road to "Cape Leveque".
Regards Tony
AnswerID: 571186

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:40

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:40
Bob,

Been thinking about doing something similar myself. Not sure what packing you're talking about but the foam insert that comes with it has always done the trick for me as said above. Why couldn't you still sit this in when plumbed in??

Have spoken to afew who never got the foam insert, perhaps you have the same issue??

Matt
AnswerID: 571187

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:55

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:55
We have 2 pieces of foam packing.
One fits in the top bowl and stops it moving around.
The other one fits up under the machine and has a hard plastic section shaped to cradle the motor when the machine is shipped.
We have kept both pieces and position the Lemair over the bottom piece.

If we make it an "operational installation" the bottom packing will have to be left out.

That will allow the motor to move around a bit when under way.

Seems like it will not be an issue as others are reporting no problems.
So down to the workshop with some ply and resin.

And to others considering a Lemair, great little machine, stands under the bed.
We put a 4" thick bit of foam rubber on top then close the bed down.
The foam compresses just enough to retain the machine in place. KISS principal.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 847576

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:23

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 03:23
Bob,

Don't think we ever got the bottom piece...and I've treated ours with little/no respect and only broken it once, and that was a solenoid, done under warranty.

I'd definately be sealing it underneath, I don't trust the little Russian that much ;-)

We have to unscrew the main dial to close the bed down, no hassle but we thought it was contacting so just take it off and leave it in the top draw.

No idea what you're lay out is but I thought next to the shower door was another good spot. Would leave that version to the pros though. Plumbing it in under the bed is a good easy option. OR get the wife to take it outside for you he he he.

Matt
FollowupID: 847577

Reply By: Boystoy - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:32

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:32
Hey Bob,

Why dont you drop around and have a look at ours.
Our lemair was installed by BT 4 years ago, & sits on a shelf behind the ensuite. Its plumbed in & is ready to use whenever. We often put a load of washing through during breakfast, peg it on an internal line while we are travelling, & its usually dry when we stop.

Our machine was bought from floor stock, & didnt have any original packing. I had a complicated system of straps holding everything down originally.
On our first major trip the hose at the base of the tub failed.This was replaced under warranty with a different design hose, which would be the curent model.

We now do not worry about locking anything down, & have now clocked up 60,000km on the BT, mostly on outback unsealed roads.

The Lemair hasn't missed a beat, but there have been a few little problems one must expect when you travel where we have.

1) using the tub as a dirty clothes basket, some small items jumped out on the corrugations, & the motor just doesn't go around when a singlet is jammed in the V belt drive.

2) We had tab break off the lid, which activates a switch that turns the spin dry when the lid is open. I simply jumpered out the switch until we got home & bought a new lid.

3) the cilp that holds the hose on the side of the machine broke. This let the hose fall on the floor, so the machine would not fill up. (the machine is plumbed in so the water simply went outside down the drain.) This was fixes with a conduit saddle screwed onto the side of the machine.

We would recommend the Lemair, & yes you do not need any special considerations for offroad travel.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 571188

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 06:58

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 06:58
I forgot to add:
When the hose failed we naturally shipped a lot of water. There was originally no provision for this contingency, so we removed the machine, bought some heavy duty polythene sheeting, & duct taped a base tub to about 300mm up from the floor. Its saved us once when I forgot to do a hose up tight.

I like Steves new idea of a fibreglass tub under the Lemair, a little more sophisticated than my polythene.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 847578

Reply By: Black Cobra - Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 14:05

Friday, Apr 20, 2007 at 14:05
Bob,

The Lemair washing machine that Steve was talking about where they had put it in a locker with a fibreglass base 300-400mm is in our Bt that we just picked up just over two weeks ago.

I asked for Bt to install in a cupboard next to the fridge and oposite our centre ensuite. Bt plumbed it all in way above my expectations in the following ways.

1. They lined the base of the cupboard with grey fibreglass matching the ensuite to a height as mentioned above with drain for overfill or spillage. Now I must mention here that I did not even think of doing this when I designed our layout it was done by Bt using their wisdom and was an excellent idea.

2. They used a full brass tap for the water connection.

3. They installed the power point for the washing machine up above in the next shelf so that no water can get to the power point, again thought out properly by Bt.

4. The machine is held in by a strap around the machine in the middle and this strap is secured to the wall behind a wood beam so that you can undo it and it will not slide down.

The whole unit is enclosed behind a cupboard door and out of sight. I use the original foam packing in the bowl area to secure it while travelling and use the bowl and the surrounding fibreglass floor area to place dirty clothes in.

The whole design is excellent but have not used the machine yet as it was just a quick trip back home to the west before flying out again.

Cheers
Stewart & Marlene
AnswerID: 571189

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 02:06

Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 02:06
Stewart, I agree that BT think of the little things (or should I say little people). When we asked for ours to be plumbed in, I had arranged that we would have a drop down lid so that I could still use the bench top when the machine was not in use. BT not only did that but also installed a drop down little door on the front of the cupboard which comes in handy when my 5foot2inch "height" struggles to get the little bits of washing from the bottom of the drum.
I had a problem with forgetting that the machine was still connected to the power when putting down the lid, and so BT also drilled a hole in the top of the lid and put in a computer cable cover so that the plug can sit out the top all the time now.

They are pretty good at thinking through problems. Well done Bernie at BT!!!!

Angie
AnswerID: 571190

Our Sponsors