Hema Map References

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:00
ThreadID: 123536 Views:5151 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have just rec'd my first set of Hema Maps, being the Australia Touring Atlas, 7th Edition.

Now, either Hema have changed their page numbers, or I don't understand how to derive the Hema references used for camp site listings.

To illustrate, Forster NSW is on page 27 of the 7th Edition, at grid C12 - and likewise it is listed as 27 C12 in the back index. (But a fellow bogger told me the Hema ref was 23 C12, and indeed the Camp Site listings section of the Boggers site would be consistent with that being "Central-East NSW").

Another example, camps listed on Boggers under Hema 26-27 refer to "North-West" NSW, but if I look up say Brewarrina in my 7th Edition, this is on p31 of my atlas?

Mmmm.... am I doing something wrong?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:53

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:53
Maybe just one small error on your part.
WRONG BLEEDIN' BOOK.

From the Camp Sites heading.
"This is the index page for the campsite system. For images: use the same string that you use in posts. You may enter a new campsite in an existing campsite area. The Hema references are from the Hema Australia Road Atlas & Camps Aust. Wide #3."

Now I havn't seen edition #7 of the ROAD ATLAS as yet so now I am hoping that they have not altered anything there.
Probably not as the ROAD ATLAS is used a a reference by other publications but I will check.

Maybe you can get a trade in allowance on your TOURING atlas.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 571250

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:01

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:01
Have a look here, different publications by Hema

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847650

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:59

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 01:59
I also have the Camps Australia Wide #4 - same problem. (The maps therein have same page numbers as my 7th Edition).
AnswerID: 571251

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:06

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:06
Looks like I gotta go buy a late edition and check all.
If they have changed all the references I'll sue the buggers, if I survive the couple of bottles of scotch I'll probably consume attempting to console myself.

Some other members might like to check their copies and report.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847651

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:55

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:55
I just got a message.
Looks like Hema are off my Christmas list.
Seems all map refs are changed with the latest edition #7.
All Hema atlases from #1 to #6 have used the same references, now they have gone and changed.
Going to upset a lot of people, a lot of publications use those Hema Atlas co-ordinates.
A way to sell more books I suppose.

But I have worked out a way to overcome the problem for our purpose and owners of early editions and edition #7 will be able to use their books and our campsites.
A bit of a program change and a fair bit of input so it won't happen overnight but it will happen.

Double Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 571252

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:51

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:51
Yep - we got the Hema Australian Road & 4WD Atlas 2007 - nil match to references - blow - hence I have put the reference to the particular Atlas in all the camps sites we listed. Makes it a bit harder but think it will be of some assistance.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 847652

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:56

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:56
Bob,
Try NATMAPS, I have the premier eddition cost about $100 as a show special 1/250,000 for the whole of Oz plus lot of useful thingies with it.

John
FollowupID: 847653

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:58

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:58
I forgot to mention it is a DVD x 2
John
AnswerID: 571253

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 20:49

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2007 at 20:49
I have that set myself John, probably the best map set for a PC.
But PC based mapping would not suit the majority I feel, at least not for this purpose.
I chose the Hema Road Atlas as it is the most commonly used, most travellers seem to have a copy, and it is affordable.

Regards
Bob

"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847654

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:42

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:42
This seems like a bit of a dilemma, & is most unfortunate.
Perhaps we need to subsidise Bob for the quantity to be consumed while he sorts this one out.LOL.
I would think that a large number of BOGers would probably have their own GPS, and if not, hand held types can be purchased reasonably these days.
I suggest we use the Degrees Minutes & Seconds for locations, as with a little practice the location can be determined from the Degrees & Minutes shown on most quality maps, including the Hemma maps, by either scaling or approximation of the proportion of the Minutes or Seconds required.
For those not familiar, the earth being circular comprises 360 degrees. Degrees are broken down to smaller and smaller portions to give greater accuracy to a location, there are 60 minutes in a degree, and 60 seconds in a minute. Minutes can then be further broken down if required by decimalising the proportion of the minute.
Another detailed method could be to use Eastings & Northings as found on Topographical maps, as this directly equates to Meters across the topography (land surface), but the downside of that is that not all GPS's give locations in Eastings & Northings,where I believe they will all resolve to Degrees Minutes & Seconds.
I look forward with interest to the resolution arrived at by more knowledgeable members than I.
Good luck with this one Bob.
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 847655

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:57

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:57
I had that in mind John and that is why I put Lat Long fields in the database.
If members are able to record the lat long from their GPS when visiting these campsites and then record it when entering a new camp site or update an original entry it will help.

A camp site with a lat long reference can then be located on all mapping systems, ideal if you are using Natmaps or similar.
Also allows those with GPS to locate the site more easily.

Problem here is the human failing, I forgot to record a few of the camp sites that I entered.
(But only a few Angie, the tablets are starting to work.)

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847656

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:55

Thursday, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:55
I found it hard enough to remember approx how far from a point, eg a town, we were, so have not been able to put quite a few nice stops in at all. Perhaps, if Hema are going to change on us each year, the old "approx 40 kms west of XXXX" may be the way to go; when i remember to record the distance!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 571254

Our Sponsors