Thetford Cassette

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 19:01
ThreadID: 123564 Views:5329 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had a problem with flushing C2cassette.Keeps blowing a fuse each time you press the flush button. The fuse is located above the waste tank.I have removed the valve drive mechanism,checked wiring,springs etc.looks ok.I suspect the pump is at fault as the fuse is in line.May need a new pump. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 21:12

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 21:12
If the flush pump has not been used for some time then algae can grow around the impeller and the extra load generated will blow the fuse.
Have had it happen myself.
Alo a possibility that a foreign body is lodged in the pump.

Anyhow, I did not have to replace the pump.
Just removed it, gave it a clean and freed up the impellor and all ok again.

This was in the days before I learnt to drain the flush tank when not in use for a time.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 571355

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 21:49

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 21:49
Further to Bob's reply, if you do have to remove and replace the pump, the only way of doing so is to cut the wire that is in the tank and then seal the join with shrink wrap. This is also the only way that I could see to be able to test to see if it was a fault in the pump or elsewhere.

Check the switch at the base of the push down flap opener. Our micro switch broke and I found it was easier to install a new spring loaded push button starter switch in the front of the cabinet just below the flush tank.

We have had to replace the pump and they cost about $150.

Brian

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 571356

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 02:55

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 02:55
Brian,
Our micro switch pooped itself also. I found there is two in the unit, the other is more of a safety switch-stops you flushing the loo with the cassette out from memory. I pinched this one as it is identical to the flush switch. Figure this would be fine as we aren't silly enough to flush the toilet with the cassette out (you've got bigger problems to clean up if you've got this far).

This would be a good fix for those who have a failed flush switch. It is a fiddly job getting the switching unit out though.

Problem----this only lasted afew months, the switch I replaced it with was visibly corroded when I installed it but I had no other option at the time so thought bugger it. That was afew months ago now and I'm getting some serious nagging to fix it as the boss lady is sick of using the shower head as a flush ( I think it's great-"super flush"). I had intended on doing the same as you've done as I'm aware of thetfords part pricing policy ie. if you need more than one part, buy a whole new toilet probably cheaper (only about $600 including a new cassette) Also this is bound to keep happening.

Finally my point and question--where did you find a suitable push button switch? Does it have a screw on type rubber cap to protect it from moisture??

Thanks for any info.

Matt
FollowupID: 847716

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:12

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:12
Matt,

We bought ours at one of the Auto stores, Supa Cheap or Auto Pro. When it failed we were in Sheparton so we got one there.

It is designed as a push button starter switch that is spring loaded so that it stops when pressure is released. Our one has a rubber boot over it to water proof the switch.

Like you, I removed the other safety switch as well.

Brian

FollowupID: 847717

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 03:51

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 03:51
Brian,

Sounds perfect, will go shopping tommorrow.

Cheers

Matt
FollowupID: 847718

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:26

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:26
We always drain the flush tank, but only by continuous flushing till empty - even then, there is usually residual water in it. Is there a more efficient way to drain it? Like a drain tap somewhere that I don't know about?
AnswerID: 571357

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:52

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:52
If you pull the sight tube out of the clip at the base, the tube will then be able to be pulled off the plug at the top.

Just hang this out over the side of the van. Also unscrew the cap at the base of the filler and this will allow the gunk in there to escape.

I have found that the easiest way to fill the flush tank, is to remove the toilet roll, then the holder that it goes into, as it is only held in there by a O Ring washer and then using the hose from the shower fill it to the required level.

When you remove the toilet roll holder you will be able to see that the pump located directly below.

If there is a build up of algie in the tank then a flush out with a garden hose without any connector on the end works well as you can push it around to the back of the bowl.

Brian

FollowupID: 847719

Reply By: Bob & Chris - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:58

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 22:58
Thanks for your reply
Guess what I did not know you had to drain the tank,of course it makes sense.June 2004 model.
I now have something to work on.
I did ask Bushtracker about this problem but they said they have not heard of it.
Its great being a member. Their are some great people out their willing to share their experiences.Thanks Bob
AnswerID: 571358

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:12

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:12
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which model Thetford cassette toilet is standard in the ensuite, is it a C2 ?

I had not given this any thought thinking that there was only either the cassette or vacuflush, it seems there are a few different models, some manual flush some electric flush.

FollowupID: 847720

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:19

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:19
Try pulling the pump out of it's location bracket.
From memory only one phillips screw.
You will have enough slack in the cable to be able to see the impellor.
Do this before cutting wires, you may save yourself some work.

And I have to say that Bushtracker do no about this issue.
I mentioned to them how I resolved the problem and the answer was along the lines of "Yeh, we find that a lot, sometimes just giving the pump a sharp tap with a screwdriver handle will fix it, sometime we have to pull the pump out "

I forgot about the "sharp tap" bit, better try that first.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847721

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:51

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 00:51
Tis ok, i found the info i was after on the Bti site.

"Bushtracker offers the option of a full ensuite. The ensuite contains a Thetford cassette or a Vacu-flush toilet, telephone shower and a watertight locker. It is all in a sealed fibreglass enclosure hand built by a boat hull maker.

The Thetford cassette toilet is a sealed electric flush toilet. Fully imported from Europe, it is the best available on the market today. It has a self sealing, self closing, 20 litre cassette which breaks down all the solids to a liquid with a mixture of chemical and water. The unit is self opening and self closing. Or you can order the Vacu-flush unit that has a remote cassette"

FollowupID: 847722

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 01:05

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 01:05
Hi Mick, have a look at the Thetford Tootshere.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 847723

Our Sponsors