In car navigation

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 20:57
ThreadID: 123618 Views:4561 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am researching navigation systems, there seems to be a lot out there, I used a friends Tom Tom in the USA last year and was great, can you get this type with all the off road maps of OZ as well as town and city street maps. Thanks for any tips.
Eric & Gail
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 23:34

Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 23:34
I think that the Tom Tom may be like a lot of the new type GPS units that are designed for mass market plug and play city navigation.
Although Tom Tom is using City Vav 7, a Sensis mapping product that does have extremely good detail and does show most bush roads, it does not have a facility that will allow you to download to your PC and vice versa.
I think only map updates can be loaded.

To further explain, if you want to create waypoints or routes on your PC and load them to the GPS or dowload recorded tracks and waypoints from the GPS to the PC for record keeping I do not think that you can do it.

Garmin have a few models that will let you do this.
Quest, Streetpilot come to mind but best check for yourself.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 571554

Reply By: Bonnidowns - Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 23:56

Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 23:56
We to are researching GPS's so far we have found Garmin 660 most recomended but if I can add a few more questions?
We feel it will suit us better to work with a lap top and GPS talking to each other.
Plan a route in detail with a 1:100,000 (or 1:250,000) scale lap top topo map (obviously small outback tracks) which the road can only be seen begining to end with the larger size lap top, then transfer the marked turning points infomation thru to GPS.
Then put away lap top and work by voice comands thru GPS,
Question?
1/ Is the Garmin 660 able to do this?
2/ What extra software do we need to buy to enable them to talk to each other?
3/ Who else does this? Does it work simply?
4/ Where to find best package of disk topo maps,only Australia (must be 1:100,000)
Ian and Sheryl
AnswerID: 571555

Follow Up By: Turist - Monday, May 14, 2007 at 00:19

Monday, May 14, 2007 at 00:19
I have found that one of the best ways to assess a product is to read the manual.
Garmin manuals can be downloaded from the Garmin site.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 847858

Reply By: Kenso - Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 04:41

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 04:41
Ok, did allot of research with this. We found that ,depending on your vehicle, (ours is a Landrover Discovery3 ) we have 2 glove boxes a small and large, the small one at the top folds down which is perfect for a laptop to sit on. It has a bungee cord to ensure that it stays there! I would think you could do the same with some other vehicles as well. If you want to go this way, I would recommend you purchase a 600w inverter to give the notebook "clean" power. Then we ran a Garmin GPS18 (which is basically just a GPS receiver) into the USB port on the notebook. Next we have a GME Cdma / Digital long range aerial on both the BT and the Disco so we can swap the notebook from one to the other. (Thanks to Noosa fox for the recommendation of attaching it to the Wine guard, unbelievable range! And something else I don’t have to worry about putting down) Hook up a Telstra “Next G” USB modem with this. Also we use a Magellan XL as a backup and portable device it has the Magellan Topo charts for the whole of Australia on a SD flash card (Magellan is the only manufacturer that I know of, that has Gps topographical charts available) it also has the largest color screen of any hand held GPS (make sure you buy the Australian version as the Ebay XL is a US model and has no AU warranty). I would use the XL for the Gps receiver for my notebook instead of the USB18 but I have windows vista and its not supported with USB drivers for realtime tracking as yet (although file transfer works fine!), being tested I’m told. You can also upload your topo charts from the XL to your notebook to use them on the bigger screen if your eyesight is crap like mine. Right... now the advantage with this system is:

1. You can navigate using Google Earth with a real time map which means you can see you car moving on the map (camped at an old 1890's gold mine in the Pilbara that no one had been to for years judging by the old sardine tins and antique bottles laying around there were the remains of “houses made from the local stones” had to remake the track in some sections. We only found it using Google Earth as it was not marked on any of the other maps)
2. You can fully utilise "Ozi Explorer" with a moving map if you are out of bigpond range. Or with GE if you know exactly the area you will hanging out in you can download all the satellite data for that area you will be in before you loose Next G.
3. You can download your waypoints from GE, to your GPS or to Oziex and save them there.
4. My Wife finds this system great because she is able to navigate much easier than on a paper map as the land marks are very clear!

5. One other bonus which is not as difficult as it once was is a VOIP phone. It looks exactly like a cordless phone yet you can communicate via broadband with your Next G modem, charges are around 8c untimed anywhere in the country and to most overseas places.( www.pennytel.com I found the best.)Very clear digital connection although sometimes you may get a bit of a pause or echo, who cares! Bloody cheap!!

There you go! clear as the dust behind my BT! Email me at ccd@bigpond.com if you would like something further explained.

Kenso

AnswerID: 571556

Follow Up By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 08:23

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 08:23
Kenso, the idea of using Google earth is absolutely cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must give that a try when we head off-road this winter across the Gibb.

I would sill go with the Garmin 7200 for ease of use and computer interface.

Cheers, Jay
FollowupID: 847859

Reply By: Kenso - Monday, May 21, 2007 at 21:48

Monday, May 21, 2007 at 21:48
Jay,
Its very cool alright, just remember to load your track while you have broadband before you go, as you wouldnt have web at to many places out there!, just zoom in to say..1.3 km and download each section of the track, will take awhile but you will appreciate it on the road.

Take care
Kenso
AnswerID: 571557

Our Sponsors