Testing BREAKAWAY operation

Submitted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 03:10
ThreadID: 123682 Views:4261 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Boggers and all,
Can anyone tell me an easy way of being sure the safety BREAKAWAY switch is operational. Each time I hook up I make sure it is all connected correctly in case of some (God forbid) hitch failure, but I am never really sure it will work if needed. The topic may have been covered in some previous Forum posting, but I cant find anything.
Thanks for any feedback
Cheers
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 03:48

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 03:48
Pete next time you hook up connect everything as normal. Grab hold of the steel cable connected to the breakaway switch. Give a swift stiff pull to remove the "plug" from the unit. This will connect the van house batteries to the electric breaks. Hop into the tug and try and drive away. You will soon see if the system is working. When done reinsert the plug into the unit and you are back to normal. The plug has an O ring for sealing so make sure it is not damaged.

Ern
AnswerID: 571758

Reply By: Kenso - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 04:56

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 04:56
Perfect answer Ern!

Kenso
AnswerID: 571759

Reply By: eff trucker - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 07:52

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 07:52
Not too much Rocket Science - thanks Ern
Cheers
AnswerID: 571760

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 08:10

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 08:10
When our tow hitch broke, the break away cable just snapped (it must have been degraded). Maybe testing as suggested by Ern would have revealed this, but i doubt it, so keep a watch on the condition of the cable as well. Fortunately the chains held.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 571761

Follow Up By: The Hob - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 17:45

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 17:45
Motherhen

What sort of tow hitch broke???

Did the hitch fail or some bolt fail?
FollowupID: 847951

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 07:51

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 07:51
Hi The Hob

Although everyone says it should never have failed as it is a good brand, the Tow Safe tow bar was on the Patrol when we purchased it, and we could find no figures on it as to its towing capacity or ball weight capacity. In totally non technical terms, the welding broke so the the square tube shaped bit that the square block slides into came away from the rest of the tow bar. The chains did not hold the towing assembly up, so it all dragged on the road resting on the chains until we stopped. As we were on a slight up hill incline, breakaway braking was not needed. With a few worn links from the dragging, the chains now need replacing. We had a spare break away cable in the box of tricks with the van when we bought it.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 847952

Our Sponsors