"Explanation" Red Hat Society" (Definitely not Mad Hatters)

Submitted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 07:50
ThreadID: 123684 Views:5224 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
For the information of those not in the know the Red Hat Society is known as the largest dis - organisation for women in the world and is really legit, and we are not mad, we have just made up our minds to make the most of every bit of life we have. (That idea should ring true for Bushtracker owners.)
There are over 200 RHS chapters in Australia, and many more worldwide.

"The Red Hat Society began as a result of a few women deciding to greet middle age with verve, humor and élan.
We believe silliness is the comedy relief of life, and since we are all in it together, we might as well join red-gloved hands and go for the gusto together. Underneath the frivolity, we share a bond of affection, forged by common life experiences and a genuine enthusiasm for wherever life takes us next." - Sue Ellen Cooper, Queen Mother
We see this group as an opportunity for those who have shouldered various responsibilities at home and in the community their whole lives, to say goodbye to burdensome responsibilities and obligations for a little while. This is the place to have fun and enjoy yourself.
* To be a Red Hatter, ladies over fifty are to wear a RED HAT and PURPLE CLOTHING to gatherings and events.
* Ladies under 50 are to wear a PINK HAT and LAVENDER ATTIRE until THE birthday!

I joined the Local Red Hat Society about 6 months ago and have been having a ball. No rules (just a few guidlelines) no committees, no joining fees, pay your own way if you attend events - and it works for what we need.

So........... make of it what you will, I have taken for my motto
If I don't have fun now, when will I start? LJW (on this Bog JW)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 23:20

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 23:20
JW, is this the groups anthem:

When I Am Old I Shall Wear Purple

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobrietry of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

~Jenny Jacobs ~

I can remember doing this poem as a cross stitch for a dear friend who was retiring.

Angie
AnswerID: 571765

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 04:28

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 04:28
That's the one Angie

Some of us practice parts of the poem more than others, but we all have a great time when we get together.
It seems that each chapter has a slightly different focus, some only go out for coffee, others have a real mix of events, there are those who are very adventurous, some who love to visit in homes, others who only use public venues where they can be seen. Yet when we meet - and you can't miss a Red Hatter when they are in regalia, it is as if we have known one another for years, the friendship is very strong from my short experience of hatting.

JW
or in Red Hat circles
Lady Joanella Winifred
Right Royal Heralding Sister (RRHS)
Sisters with a Twist
Red Hat Society, Canberra
If I don't have fun now, when do I start
FollowupID: 847954

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 06:26

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 06:26
I reckon that blokes in Akubra's will want to stay well clear of this lot ;-)

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 847955

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 09:53

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 09:53
I have an Akubra too, as well, more over, also, to boot, in addition.

JW
FollowupID: 847956

Reply By: Rockgoc - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 08:07

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 08:07
Whadda ya trying to say Bob? Easy wears an Akubra, and he lives with a potential member of the Red Hat Bunch so look out!
Girls WHERE can I join????????
Sounds like a lot of fun!
Cheers, Jan o
AnswerID: 571766

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 08:41

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 08:41
Hi Jan
I think WA has the largest number of chapters of any state - if you send me a member message with your home base location I will let you know how to find a chapter. You can be a member of more than one chapter - so Bushtracker ladies could belong to their home chapter and also "WOW Bustracker" for when we meet up and put on our regalia for an event (we don't have meetings, we have gatherings or events).
Because Red Hatters is a dis-organisation there is no pressure if you can only attend occasionally - only from yourself for missing out on any fun.

I might add CD does think we Hatters are a bit out there, but supports me more than 110%. He can see and appreciate what Red Hatters gives me.

JW
Lady Joanella Winifred
Right Royal Heralding Sister (RRHS)
Sisters with a Twist
Red Hat Society, Canberra
If I don't have fun now, when do I start

FollowupID: 847957

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 19:21

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 19:21
I like this Hattitude - Generally I love accompanying CD, but Red Hatters is a place where he is definitely seen as accompanying me. Still a morsel of the "Womens Libber" in me yet!!!???? JW

THE ISSUE OF MEN - Here's the official "Proclamation" from Founding Queen Mother Sue Ellen
”Red Hatters come from all sorts of situations: some are married; some are widowed or divorced; some have never married at all. When we gather for Red Hat events, our marital status is irrelevant; we are just a bunch of ‘girls’ getting together to play. So if a Red Hatter's partner wants to accompany her to an event convention or a regional gathering he certainly may do that. But he will not be able to participate in any part of the scheduled activities. The Red Hat Society is a ‘girl thing’. This being said, it is important to express our gratitude and admiration for the many men who have shown good-hearted support for their partners’ involvement in the Red Hat Society. They all deserve big hugs for encouraging their ladies to go out and play with their girlfriends."

Yes, "It's a girl thing" group, but the guys are often known to make unique contributions to our disorganisation. And of course as we can always bend the "ideals" at times and invite the males to join in on some special occasions.

FollowupID: 847958

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:45

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:45
Well I have finally posted a few photos of Red Hatters - and the smiles say it all. JW
FollowupID: 847959

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, May 28, 2007 at 03:35

Monday, May 28, 2007 at 03:35
Perhaps Red Hatters in Bushtrackers are BUSHATTERS?
Red hats and purple jeans emerging from the gidgee carrying small shovel !

Good on you girls.....keep on having fun.

Cheers..........Rob
AnswerID: 571767

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 10:02

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 10:02
Any kind suggestions in the spirit of hatting are gratefully accepted.

On Saturday some of the Canberra chapter will attend (In full regalia of course) - a Felters exhibition and Fashion Parade at the CSIRO Discovery Centre. (Are Felters they who once had feelings)
If we get any decent photos I will post them in our Photo Gallery.
As Bushtracker would not accept our order this far out from purchase we can only be non financial members, so perhaps only members will be able to access our photo gallery - not sure how that works.

LJW
FollowupID: 847960

Reply By: CD & JW - Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:47

Monday, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:47
Whoops
Should have put the message here - not a followup

I have finally added some photos of Hatters - The smiles say it all. JW
AnswerID: 571768

Our Sponsors