Which Webasto??

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 06:12
ThreadID: 123794 Views:4593 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Yo Boggers
Well after picking up the BT and travelling from Adelaide to Armidale...where it had a fine dusting of snow 2 mornings ago..... we now have the Webasto thingee on the list of home improvements.

On the Webasto web site they list the 2kw and the 3.5 kw models and we noticed that the ducted venting to the ensuite is the go too.

So the big question is "Does size really matter"??? Is it to be the 2kw or the 3.5kw Webasto.

The location of the fuel tank also was a consideration.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rick & Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 08:37

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 08:37
G'day Rick & Julie
Have done some research on this and the Webasto people told me that the 2kw model was ample for a 20ft van. So that is the way we will go.
Trevor & Lyndal
AnswerID: 572129

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 18:56

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 18:56
Hi Trevor & Lyndal,
Thanks for the tip and yes when you think about it, if you had a standard 10 amp/2.4kw household electric heater in that space, you'd have a sauna in no time. So the 2kw Webasto should be ample.

Ours is an 18 footer so all will be cosy soon.

Cheers and Happy Trails
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848166

Reply By: Hourglass belly up - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:37

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 09:37
Hello Rick & Julie

We have a 20’ van and had the AT 2000 S model heater fitted at time of construction – main cabin outlet and a second to the ensuite. This heater produces more than enough heat even with both discharge outlets open. In fact we have never had to run the heater at max for any length of time.

Although our van is nearly three years old in a couple of months I would expect the above model reference is still current. Some owners we have met on the road were wise enough to have the control installed where they could turn the heater on in the morning without getting out of bed.

I think this is one of the best options you can install – you’ll have to give the credit to Tuirist for this mod as it was he who first introduced the heater to us way back in the early part of 2004 I think.

Our fuel tank is fitted between the spare tyres which is not the most convenient to get at for filling. Our heater is at the rear which means the fuel has to be pumped the full length of the van - never had any problems with this arrangement hence you could just about install the tank wherever you wish. I know some have installed larger tanks - I think Jay is one of those with a larger custom made tank.
AnswerID: 572130

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 19:22

Saturday, Jun 23, 2007 at 19:22
Thanks John,
All good information to answer a few of the things that run through your mind when looking at the logistics of the unit.

We checked out the Webasto site and were very pleased with the low diesel consumption figures quoted. Also checked out the remote "ON/OFF" gizmo and the Electronic timer panel that allows up to 3 turn on times...think that will be in the bag too. It would be nice to wake up to a cosy house on a frosty morn.

Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848167

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 11:24

Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 11:24
Rick & Julie

Don't really need the timer if you do what we did, I had BT put the ON/OFF switch on my side of the bed on the side cupboard, if it is cold I just reach out and turn the Webasto on and wait 10 minutes for the BT to start to warm up.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 848168

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 17:36

Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 17:36
Thanks Stewart,
What a good idea.....did you get a switch installed for the coffee percolater too?? That way you could wake up to a warm "House" with the enchanting aroma of freshly brewed coffee. "It don't get any better than this"

We have friends in the USA and they've been in the diplomatic corp most of their working lives and Bob and Deb would visit us on their time off from whatever country they were serving in at the time and when we'd get to a nice spot somewhere, drink in hand and a nice little fire going....Bob would settle back and declare..."Yep..It don't get any better than this"...We hear this most very day.

So now we have taken it up in his absence.

Thanks again Stewart.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 848169

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 21:50

Sunday, Jun 24, 2007 at 21:50
If anyone want's a second switch on the Webasto it is a simple job.

Just interrupt the red wire in the control circuit between the existing rotary type control and the heater and run some figure 8 cable to the required location, near the bed head and where you do not need to reach too far.

The switch, a matching switch to your existing light switches looks good, can be used to switch the webasto on and off only, temp is still set at the rotary switch.

Regards

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 572131

Follow Up By: Hourglass belly up - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:21

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:21
I have been meaning to make this simple mod myself for some time but haven’t gotten round to it.

This kind of mod is a good example where the following tip might be helpful for those in the process of having a van built. At the time our van was built I had a 25mm conduit run longitudinally in the roof structure connecting and giving access to the interior of the rear upper cupboards to the interior of the upper side cupboards. A conduit was then installed transversally in a similar manner to connect the interior of the upper side cupboards on either side of the van. A further conduit was then run longitudinally to connect the side cupboards on one side to the forward section of the van, in our case terminating inside a side wardrobe. In this way we are able to install additional wiring should it be necessary for anything such as the mod Turist has described.

For newer members, there is a discussion on this tip that took place in the earlier days of the Forum. There is a wealth of information in the archives for anyone with the patience to access it and who wish to get the most from the Forum in regard to deciding their requirements for a new van. Don’t expect any caravan builder to volunteer information about tips of this nature or the many other good ideas prescribed and built into some vans – in fact many builders undoubtedly will give you all sorts of reasons why it is unnecessary.
FollowupID: 848170

Reply By: adams44 - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:16

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:16
Have a look at the Dometic heater, similiar to the Webasco " made in the UK I think " it looks a great unit and has a cowled outlet for the shower and and a flat one for the van that can be closed while useing the shower for a drying room, also has true cut out and restart when set temp is reached, i am told that the Webasco does not stop just blows cold air when it has reached the set temp.
AnswerID: 572132

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 03:30

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 03:30
Where is the thermostat on the Webasto? I thought it was in the rotary controller but maybe it 's in the heater unit hence this is why positive air circulation is maintained with the fan.
Bob when you say the red wire, do you mean the power fused wire or the small gauge control wire in the loom to the controller?
Thanks
Ern
AnswerID: 572133

Follow Up By: Turist - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:20

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:20
The small gauge red wire in the control loom. That is the loom from the rotary switch to the heater unit.
On no account cut the power supply to switch off the Webasto.
It will not "cycle down" correctly and you may damage it.
The thermostat is in the input air duct of the heater unit.

The "other" heater is an Eberspacher, made in Germany.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 848171

Reply By: adams44 - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 22:11
Site link for the Dometic heater in the UK
www.eberspacher.com/
AnswerID: 572134

Reply By: adams44 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 00:26