Tyre sizes on F250

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 07:53
ThreadID: 123813 Views:4464 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Do Boggers have the standard wheels, or larger wheels on their F250s? The wheels on ours look tiny, but tyres are the sames size as on the Patrol and Landcruiser. Pros and Cons of getting large wheels? The BT has wheels to match the Patrol at present, and may stay that way, so that is one point in favour of the present size tyres.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Black Cobra - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 13:57

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 13:57
Ahhhhhh! Mothernhen the F250 bug has bitten yu!

You are unlucky that you have just updated your truck, the tyres are the same but as you know the wheel studs are different so the easiest way for you now would be to leave it the way it is as you have two spares for the BT and maybe only one spare for the F250 and in desperate need would have to take the tyre of the F250 spare or visa versa.

If you could change the hubs over on the BT to F250 then you are laughin! You can have 3 or 4 spares for the F250 or BT but I don't think this is an option.

I have fitted 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR tyres on 8" Mickey Thompson Classic II rims which I must say lifted the look of the truck considerably from the under sized 265/75/16 that are fitted to the truck and like you say look tiny compared to the rest of the vehicle.

You can fit 285's onto the the 7" standard alloy rims but it is illegal as they must go onto 8" rims and if you do this the insurance company will wipe a claim off if they check into it and when you are driving rigs worth the money combined it is not a chance I was prepared to take. However I did fit a 285 Goodyear MTR onto the standard alloy rim and replace the steel spare wheel underneath just to get me out in the short term.

A fellow bogger bought the spare steel rim with new 265 tyre from me when I was in Queensland picking up the BT.

I then put then 265's from the truck onto the BT so that I have 3 spares at present, and thinking about a 4th which are all on F250 alloys. As the standard 265's on the BT are more a road tyre which I think is best as not to be as aggressive as the MTR's as they roll along behind the track of the vehicle and as they are not drive wheels it is better to be less aggressive.

I have gone for the Goodyear Silent Armour 265/75/16 as spares on the BT and will replace the original Goodyear tyres when they wear out on the BT with these as they seem to be handling the rough country here in Iraq very well at present.

Now if you do put 285's on they will more than likely foul the mudflap when on full lock but a slight suspension lift will fix this or don't turn to hard.

I was originally going to put 295's on the truck as they look great but when I did my checking around and when Bob Jane did an availability check on 295's around the country there were only two available somewhere in WA, the 285's and 265's were everywhere.

You will have to update the photo in your post now won't yu!

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 572203

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:59
Hi Stewart

I will be fighting hard to get my man away from modifications and onto the road!

We'll have to wait for another treasured BT moment before i can update my rig pic. It we be a while.

Our first trip with the F250 will be without the caravan in September when we plan to go via the Holland Track to the Goldfields then take the Golden Quest Discovery Trail. We will need additional spare/spares for the Holland Track, and will have most likely need to carry any extras in the tray. With the Patrol, we had the four matching spares which was a good security.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 848213

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 19:43

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 19:43
Hi Motherhen,

I changed the wheels on our Bushtracker to match the F250. Costs involved were $1000 for 4 new brake drums and bearings, $750 for 6 new steel rims from the Ford dealer. The tyres were changed over off the old rims.

I tried to obtain secondhand F250 rims but had no luck, so settled for new ones. However when I was picking up the new hubs, the supplier mentioned that he knew where to obtain some secondhand rims, too late!

The supplier of the suspension and brake parts to Bushtracker is N.P.Haufe & Co, 2 Childs Rd, Epping Vic. 03 9401 4077

By the way, I recovered $150 from the sale of the original toyota rims fitted to the Bushtracker.

Paul.
AnswerID: 572204

Reply By: GM & US - Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 19:58

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 19:58
Hi Motherhen
We replaced the standard tyres and rims for the F250 with 8" chrome steel rims and 285/75/16 Maxxis Big Horn Tyres and also put the same rims and tyres on the BT. The BT has hubs as the F250.

Tyres, Rims and chrome nuts (with chrome locking nuts) from Austyres"N" Wheels Nerang-Southport Rd Ashmore 0755970099 ask for Brett

Looks incredible!!

Origional tyres and rims from the F250 with 20,000klm, spare never been on the road, so if anyone is looking, they are available.

regards

Stewart and Gwyneth
AnswerID: 572205

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:01

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:01
We changed the vans wheels to the F250 pattern some time ago, and then when the original 265 tyres on the F250 required replacing, I increased the size to 285.
The down side that I have found is.
They larger tyres on the front will just touch the mud flaps in rough going while turning.
The larger tyres will put your speedo out by about 4% so when the speedo reading is 100 you are actually doing 104kph. We use a GPS navigator to give true speed reeading.

The up side is that they look a better size for the truck.
The raise the body clearance by about 25mm.

Some air bags or additional spring leaf would probably stop the front tyres rubbing on rough turns.

As the van tyres wear down I have been replacing them with 285 sized tyres and have just replaced my last one.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 572206

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:10

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:10
Hi

We are now on our fourth set of Coopers!!

Before leaving on the East-West we changed from the 265 Goodyears to 285 Cooper ST.

When we got to Carnarvon after 10,000k they were chipped and cracked; there happened to be a recall on our serial numbers so new 285 ATRs.

When we got to Busselton they were badly chipped AND more importantly given the size of the wheel we were told that 285s were too large and only 8ply so we were given 265 10ply ATs under warrantly which were actually installed in Perth as there was insufficient time in Busselton

Guess what, must have been a bad batch of rubber because after 2000k they were so chipped that they were changed for a new set of 265 ATs.

Not bad - new tires to start our West to East and a full new warranty.

Would I buy Coopers again - nope!

Will I go back to Goodyear which while work after the trip to Cape York were in one piece with no cracks or chips - absolutely!

I am planning on putting Goodyear 265s on the truck and the new caravan.

Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 572207

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:39

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 02:39
Jay,

We have had similar chipping problems with Cooper tyres. We had Cooper ST on front and they lasted 30 to 35,000 ks. On the rear we had Cooper STT and they lasted a massive 25,000 ks, and one had a large chunck out of the centre of the tread showing the belts.

We now have Goodyear Silent armour and they have done close to 20,000 ks and are performing very good.

I wouldn't use Coopers again even if they were half the price of the Goodyear.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 848214

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:51

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:51
Hi Jay and Brian

The chipping seems typical of the Coopers, which get a bit of positive and a lot of negative feedback on ExplorOz.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 848215

Our Sponsors