Spares for F250 - tyres, hoses, belts etc

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 08:48
ThreadID: 123856 Views:5165 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
For those who carry an additional spare tyre, where do you carry it? I can see a tyre carrier on the rear would be a nuisance, as it would need to be opened to lower the tailgate. We want to carry more than one spare for off-road trips away from the caravan. We are setting up a layer of storage on the tray, so we can sleep on top of this. The previous owner had mattresses made the full size of the tray so we want to utilise these.

What other spares do you carry? We usually travel with radiator hoses and fan belt. Can these be obtained from USA? I have yet to order the CPS.

Thanks, Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Black Cobra - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 11:22
I usually carry it around my stomach. LOL!

Like you, I have radiators hoses top/bottom, fan belt, CPS, oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, sump plug gaskets, radiator test strips, fuel filter wrench, complete windscreen wiper arm.

Bought all of them from the powerstroke shop in the US except for the oil filters which are cheaper here, bought all the other filters in lots of 10. The reason for the complete wiper arm was that I though I ordered just wiper blades as they were quite cheap ended up being the complete assembly for the price, can't complain you never know when you might need one.

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 572342

Follow Up By: Kylor - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 20:15
Could someone please give me the part number for the bottom radiator hose on the F250 as I received the wrong one from Powerstroke shop in US. I ordered the one for the 7.3 litre but the hose is only about half the lenght it should be. Also the correct number for the Serpentine belt would be a great help so that I can check that I have the correct one for the 7.3 litre, plus any numbers for other spares that
most traveller's carry with them.

They say buy local, but when our Ford dealer wants $220 for the bottom hose, $637.00 for a CPS which I paid AUD$18 from US, spare radiator cap $99.91 which I paid AUD$5.58, Serpentine belt $208.00 and I paid $AUD$38.47, WHY.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kym

FollowupID: 848292

Follow Up By: Paul and Barb - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 23:16

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 23:16
Kym,

I purchased a serpentine belt about 12 months ago from Powerstrokeshop, the invoice gives the following;

part no: 1C2Z*8620*NA
description: W94000V-BELT

Paul.
FollowupID: 848293

Follow Up By: Kylor - Thursday, Jul 05, 2007 at 01:27

Thursday, Jul 05, 2007 at 01:27
Paul,

Thankyou for the info, it appears I have the same belt as you so all should be good.

Cheers,
Kym
FollowupID: 848294

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 21:23
Kym, please provide information regarding purchasing the CPS for $18. Thank you, Jay
AnswerID: 572343

Follow Up By: Kylor - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2007 at 22:08
Hi Jay,

I purchased the CPS through Powerstrokeshop and found an item on the forum regarding the cost. Apparently Ford in the USA had so many complaints about the cost of the unit that they dropped the price dramatically to US$15.29
The part number has changed slightly as it seems they may have found another supplier for these units. The new part number is F7TZ*12K073*B.
Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
Kym
FollowupID: 848295

Reply By: Downunder - Friday, Jul 06, 2007 at 07:44

Friday, Jul 06, 2007 at 07:44
Kym/Jay,
I was the one that posted the info about the CPS a few weeks back.

I was looking at a site on the net and saw a CPS for about $15 USD but the part number had a "B" at the end of it instead of an "A" that was on the one I already have as a spare.

I e-mailed them and asked them what the difference was and their reply was that with all the problems and complaints they (Ford) have had with the CPS they developed the "B" version which is supposed to be a better unit but only time will tell.

Seems odd that you can get a better unit cheaper than the older one but there you go.

I bought spare radiator hoses the other day from Sunshine Ford on the Gold Coast bottom hose $187 and top hose $35 both incl GST.

Was going to get them from US but felt with freight included it probably would not be much cheaper if at all.
Regards,
Bill
AnswerID: 572344

Follow Up By: Kylor - Friday, Jul 06, 2007 at 20:22

Friday, Jul 06, 2007 at 20:22
Bill,

The CPS really has caused a lot of concern over the last couple of years, especially with price.As you say, it does seem a bit odd that they can just slash the price for something that is supposed to be better.

As for the freight from USA, it cost me AUD$43 to get 2 drive belts, 2 top & 2 bottom hoses, 2 CPS units & 2 radiator caps. It was actually sent through US Postal Service and took about one week to get here. The reduced cost of everything I bought certainly covered the freight by a long way. Even though I must have ordered the wrong bottom hoses. I am not sure if Ford Australia has the same part numbers as Powerstrokeshop, but would appreciate any feedback from other's that already have the correct bottom hose.

Your Ford dealer is a little bit cheaper for the bottom hose so there must be $33 freight to get them to Alice Springs. The top hoses cost me AUD$16 each from US.

Cheers,
Kym
FollowupID: 848296

Reply By: Downunder - Saturday, Jul 07, 2007 at 02:22

Saturday, Jul 07, 2007 at 02:22
Kym,

From my experience with bringing stuff in from the US you have done well with only $40 or so for freight for those items.

Depending on where you get your gear and what shipping company they choose it can and does vary wildly but in a lot of cases and yours is one you have come out ahead no doubt.

Regards,
Bill
AnswerID: 572345

Reply By: Black Cobra - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:46

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:46
Just had prices from Ford dealer in Perth on the following parts for the F250 and alongside the prices from the Powerstroke shop, its daylight robbery what they charge in Oz for these parts, know where mine will be coming from.

Radiator cap - Ford Oz $85.95 - $93.20 PS Shop $4.74US (approx. $5.93AUS)

Thermostat - Ford Oz $169.35 - $182.15 with gasket
PS Shop $23.06US (approx $28.83AUS)

Gasket listed on PS Shop, I presume for the thermostat, waiting on reply $3.39US (approx. $4.24AUS)

plus freight, can't see it being in excess of $200 which is the saving.

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 572346

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:24

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:24
Thanks Stewart for you pricing and parts lists. I will order when the Rooster works out what we want. How do you make sure you are ordering the right parts?

Regards

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 848297

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:24

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:24
Motherhen,

I have sent Bob from Powerstroke shop an email just enquiring about the parts and numbers, mainly because Ford Oz say the gasket comes with the thermostat where PS shop as a gasket listed separatley, not sure if its for the water pump or thermostat.

Will wait and see what the answer is but at the price of the gasket even if it is the wrong one it won't matter.

If you go into the PS shop and use the tabs and get into the parts list, then some of the parts have a click on diagram tab and it comes up with drawings.

If you have trouble get back to me and I will go into the site and write down the procedure.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 848298

Reply By: Black Cobra - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 13:14

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 13:14
Just for info email back from Bob at the Powerstroke Shop re parts

The Thermostat is F6TZ8575AA and does come with a gasket. F6DZ8100A is the radiator cap.

Freight $23.00US

I asked him for the radiator hoses top and bottom part number and the following is his reply

I forgot to mention freight for the thermo, gasket and cap would be $23.00.
The hoses are a mystery at the moment. I am currently swapping photos with another gentleman to try to figure this out. I know the lower for the 2003 is longer than the previous years and we might be able to go that route.
Since the steering is opposite here, there is no need for the extra pertection shown on yours but this could be easily fabricated.
Thanks, Bob

Cheers
Stewart

AnswerID: 572347

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:10

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:10
Hi Stewart - I notice you have the gauges fitted to your F250. Where did you have these fitted and around what cost? We were also told it is wise to fit a larger gear box oil sump to avoid gearbox failure when towing.

Regards, Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 848299

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:45

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:45
Hi Motherhen,

I had the EGT, Trans Temp and Boost gauges fitted by Wally at Top End Audio in Wangarra. They were recommended to me by my exhaust guy and I saw some of his work in performance cars and it is top quality. Having said that you do pay for it as the gauges I had installed were not off the shelf ones.

The make is Revolution custom electronic gauges and you can design them how you like. You can get different coloured bezels, faces, lighting etc, etc. I had them make mine with similar design to the original instrument panel with black faces, green numbers, and red needles and when they illuminate they look very similar to the F250 dash.

I had chrome bezels and he designed a mount for the dash to hold the gauges, the back of the gauges go into that small pocket on the dash, so that the background matched the rest of the F250 dash layout. They come with alarms that you can set to whatever temperature you want and a red light comes on when it reaches that set alarm temp.

I went one step further and had the word FORD in the oval emblem embossed on the face of the gauges to make it look original.

As you know you don't have to go this far as these gauges are very expensive
EGT $360, Trans Temp $270, Boost $360, all up with fitting and facia plate etc $1678.

As these gauges come from the US they came in Farenheit which was my mistake as I assumed they would be in celcius coming to Oz so therefore I had to convert all the readings that Ford give in celcius to farenheit to set the alarms and believe me it is hard to think in farenheit after dealing in celcius for so long.

I have since had Wally order new faces in celcius for me of which he changed over just two weeks ago.

Another thing to decide if you are going to get a EGT gauge installed is where you put the sender. There are two trains of thought on this, pre turbo or post turbo. If you go pre turbo you have to drill into the manifold which I was not to keen on as if it is not done right when you drill, eg vacuum filings or put grease on drill bit you can end up with filing going through the turbo fins and not doing much good.

I went for post turbo and had the sender drill into the new larger dump pipe that I had installed. The temperature difference between the two can be 200C eg pre turbo 720C post turbo 520C so as long as you know this and set the alarm accordingly, no problems.

Now on the larger gear box sump been there done that.
My original plan was to install an extra transmission cooler together with the larger sump pan that you can get from the US, these can range from $550 to $900 in price. The only reason I was going to go for the larger sump pan was that the original pan is made of aluminium where as the aftermaket one was made of alloy and ribbed for cooling, but it had a port already in it for a tranny temp sender unit, whereas I thought drilling the flimsy original pan might not be a good idea.

I since found out from the Powerstroke shop with pictures where you can install a sender unit into the original pan without drilling, it is in a testing port or something like that on the side, you just unscew the plug and screw in the sender making sure that it is the right length sender so that it does not protrude into the oil flow area but is flush with it.

Having done this I went for just having the extra tranny cooler fitted for $506 by Baily's Auto Transmissions in Balcatta, they are also a Ford warranty dealer and does a lot of aftermarket work on F250's.

Some have gone for replacing the original tranny cooler with a larger one from F350's but I thought the idea of having two would be better, if one fails for some reason it hopfully will still work or if one gets holed then you could block that one of and bypass it using the one to get out of trouble.

Sorry for the long winded answer but there's not much to do out in the desert at night time, keeps my mind active and hope it help in your decision.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 848300

Reply By: Kylor - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 00:41

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 00:41
Stewart,

I am the one that Bob from Powerstrokeshop was referring to with the swapping photos of hoses. I will forward the image onto you so that you can make a comparison with your vehicle's bottom hose. If anyone else would like me to forward the image onto them, please let me know.

The number stamped on the new hose in the picture is 1C34 8B273 CA. The number on my bottom hose on our vehicle is 1C3D-8B273-AA. A couple of mate's with F250's have 1C3D-8B273-AE and 4C3D-8B273-AA stamped on their hoses. We all have the 8B273 in common which makes me think we're on the right track. The actual part number at Powerstrokeshop may be different to what is stamped on the hose so beware.

I actually ordered & received the top & bottom hoses from powerstrokeshop a couple of month's ago and received the wrong bottom hose for our Effie, it was far too short to fit. When I ordered through their online parts ordering facility, I stated that the vehicle was a 2003 F250 7.3 litre even though the car is 2004 (I believe the Aussie version wasn't manufactured after 2003 but all stock remained in Australia until sold out last year) I still was sent the shorter hose. Just be careful when ordering this way as it is a bit confusing.

The top hose that I received was the correct one for our vehicles and cost USD$13.63 plus freight which was only approx $4.20 as we ordered 10 items so worked out to about USD$43.00 freight all up through US Postal Service. The powerstroke part number for the top hose is XC3Z*8260*DA & description is W52701HOSE ASY. Our local Ford dealer has quoted $43.00 for this hose.

Hope all of this is of some help to you all, I would appreciate any feedback you can give on the bottom hose as I need to order a couple myself.

Cheers,
Kym

AnswerID: 572348

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:45

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:45
Kym, I gave a bit of a bum steer when I posted my earlier post re the parts I ordered from the powerstroke shop, I forgot I had ordered everything from them except the top and bottom radiator hose, serpentine belt and oil filters as I needed them to travel from WA to QLD to pick up the BT so I could not wait so I bought them from Ford.

The oil filters are cheaper to buy from Ford or Coventry's as the weight of them make it to expensive in freight from the US.

I have just today ordered another serpentine belt, second CPS, radiator cap, thermostat, fuel filter lid from Powerstroke and freight is $25.55US, saving heaps on Ford costs.

The bottom radiator hose is the dear one so it will be good to see what comes of it. On their site for instance the radiator cap fits all the vehicles from the E250, F250 F350, Excursions, 6.0, 7.3, 4.2 litres motors and other from a range of years so some parts do fit all.

Will note your part numbers as I keep a record of all these with the corresponding Ford part numbers for future reference.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 848301

Follow Up By: Kylor - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2007 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2007 at 21:06
Hi Effie Owners,

Just a follow up on the bottom radiator hose saga. Bob from Powerstrokeshop has quoted me $19.78 for the longer bottom hose which has 1C34 8B273 CA stamped on the hose itself.The Powerstrokeshop part number for that hose is C3Z8286CA.
If anyone out there has this part number as a spare bottom hose could you please let me know because I don't want to order thw wrong part again.The price is certainly a lot better than Ford in Alice Springs @ $220.
Cheers,
Kym
FollowupID: 848302

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 20, 2007 at 01:31

Friday, Jul 20, 2007 at 01:31
Hi Kym

I would appreciate you emailing me your photos of radiator hoses so we can have a better chance of getting the right ones. Ours is a 2004 model - what year is yours?

Please email me @westnet.com.au or member message me if this is unclear.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 848303

Reply By: Kylor - Friday, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:33

Friday, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:33
Hi Motherhen,

I have emailed an image of the hoses to you so I hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts. I have noticed that there are many visiting F250's in Alice Springs at present so if any are Boggers I would love to catch up with you and compare notes regarding spare parts etc.

Regards,
Kym
AnswerID: 572349

Our Sponsors