Pre Wiring in New Vans

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:22
ThreadID: 123886 Views:4679 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We are in the planning stages of our new van which we don't unfortunately pick up till April. However this gives us plenty of time to do our homework on costs of extras. We have found a company in Brisbane who does the TV/Sound system/Winegard etc a lot cheaper than Sound in Motion and they will do the installation for us if we get the van pre-wired, or alternatively they will go to Bushtracker and do the wiring themselves during construction. Has anyone else gone this way with the TV/Sound systems ie:not use SIM? We have tried to get prices for pre-wiring from Sound in Motion but no reply yet on it. I can't imagine Bushtracker would let another company into the factory to do the wiring, so we may have no option but to get SIM to do the prewiring but as we would be saving hundreds of dollars on the appliances we are hoping that even with them doing the prewiring we will still save a lot of money. Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on this. Peter and Lyn
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CD & JW - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:43

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:43
Beware of much lower prices - are you comparing apples with apples. If the price difference is significant I would be wary. Bushtracker is a quality product and seems to have chosen trustworthy subbies who also provide a quality job.
Good luck anyway
AnswerID: 572422

Follow Up By: Travelling Twosome - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:50

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:50
Yes, we actually got the brand names that are supplied by SIM and asked for quotes for the same product from the other company.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 848325

Reply By: CD & JW - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 06:20

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 06:20
I guess I also meant the actual quality of installation too, but you probably have covered that in your homework.
AnswerID: 572423

Reply By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 19:56

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 19:56
Hi Peter & Lyn,
We're only new BT folk but as most here have done, we've scoured through the archives of the forum and it seems to us that BTi's level of after sales service and support for the total package is one that most people only ever dream of.

Now if we were outback somewhere beyond Whykickamoocow and one of the fitted appliances died or fell off the wall....we'd be very surprised but ....in our minds...we feel more confident of immediate action from BTi than from a host of other suppliers. It also seems that others here will be able to substantiate this from their own personal experiences.

Now I rang BTi last week about a host of "Home Improvements" that we want fitted to our BT next month before we have our month off in September.

A few things fell into the SIM basket and I mentioned this in conversation and that I'd have to ring SIM and ask some advise on a few things and then.... I was told to hang on as they, (SIM) have 2 technicians on the floor at BTi full time and that I could speak with one right now.

Well you might save a few dollars, but when you compare that few hundred dollars with the overall investment of your new BT, it would only be a fraction of one percent of the total cost.

I always look past the cost to see what I might be saving myself further down the track.

So let us suppose that you get SIM to do the pre wire and someone else supplies and installs the appliances and you're out past Wheelthebarrowback and you have a problem with an appliance. If one supplier has done the total job from start to finish...then no one can come back to you and try to lay blame at someone elses feet for the installation or the routing design or the quality of cable and connectors or in the case of an electrical fire....GASP that would be a nightmare... and when all you want.... is your problem rectified.

Well food for thought..... and I'm not trying to swing you that way.....merely laying out some scenarios that could happen. I was in the automotive retail and sevice industries for nearly 3 decades and half of that at management level. I've been caught up in all those things before..... and now....IF I have a problem with our BT....I have only one phone number to ring and if that is the case, then I feel more confident that BTi will rescue us quicker than most.... based on past perfomances.

Oh, on a personal note...those few hundred dollars.....I'd sleep better at night and call that "Insurance"

Hope this helps in some way.
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 572424

Follow Up By: Travelling Twosome - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:17

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:17
HI Rick

I love those places that you have suggested we could have problems! Yes, I think with the feedback we've got back from everybody it does make sense to pay a bit extra and make the process a bit easier. It's all a learning curve and we appreciate the input we've got on this question. Cheers Peter & Lyn

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 848326

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 06:02

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 06:02
Hi Peter & Lyn,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and yes...those outback places I mentioned are not even marked on the map or listed in our GPS and I can't even find them on Google Earth......so I can only assume that they must be very remote indeed.....and we can only hope that it all hangs together out there 'cos I don't know how they'd find us to deliver to goods....

Cheers and Happy Bogging
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848327

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 21:53

Thursday, Jul 12, 2007 at 21:53
Hi Peter and Lyn,

We picked up out BT 2 years ago and gradually discovered that the flat screen television would flicker when the van was on battery (not 240v) power if another appliance was used, especially the water pumps. Other owners had a similar problem.

SIM eventually traced it to a problem with voltage stabilisation and a fix was devised. When the van was back at BTi 1 year later SIM corrected this for us at a very small price of about $50 (the price of the new component to them was about $80).

I would be very doubtful that you would receive that sort of service if you used a diffeent supplier for the components. The issue of who would cover the warranties is also important.

I personally would stay with SIM.

Regards,

Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 572425

Reply By: MEL and TOBY - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:01

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:01
Hi All,
Like others I can't fault SIM. Like everything you get what you pay for - I don't mind paying a bit more to get exceptional service. And hopefully they will stay in business because thay don't just rely on being the cheapest around to get customers. And that means if we need repairs etc they will still be around.
I had a camera fitted to both car and van by SIM and their endeavours to use existing screen in the car were first class - it was not as easy as first thought.
Hard to deal with anybody these days who do what they say, when they say! OK it might cost a bit more, but so do Bushtrackers. And we all know why we paid to get the Bushtracker!
I would drive to the Sunshine Coast just to have SIM work on my car if I needed any sound stuff done - OK I am only in Brisbane but even so!
Price isn't everything!
IAN
AnswerID: 572426

Follow Up By:- Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:52

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:52
The Wineguard TV antenna ia not suitable for vertically polarised signals. Most are disappointed with their performance because of this. The best antenna is the Digimatch 7 element or 12 element yagi Explorer antenna. The only antennas that perform the best resemble the ones that look like the ones on the roofs of houses.......surprising isn't it.

Ern
FollowupID: 848328

Reply By: Geoff n Kay - Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:14

Friday, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:14
peter and lyn
good luck with your Brisbane company know where i would spend my money even if its a little bit more as i will soon make that up on the after sales service anyway if i need it SIM are such a pleasure to deal with from our experiance
AnswerID: 572427

Our Sponsors