GPS Recommendations

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:43
ThreadID: 123964 Views:6131 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have written off my Asus 636 PDA/GPS - broke the stylus off inside thwe machine and after numerous numerous attempts to extract it - it spat the dummy. It took exception to me drilling holes and poking wire up the tube.... Dur!!

I also found that the running Natmap's 1/250,000 series maps via Oziexplorer CE that the Natmap map. files (ECW's) were a bit 'grunty' as in large and caused the GPS moving map to stall, go grey or disappear all together depending on its mood. So time for a new one.

My preferences are to run good maps - how good are the Garmin maps and can you run other maps like Hema etc. Really need maps with good bush data not just main roads or a street mapping. The latter is OK but not essential

I am wondering what the Garmin Nuvi 660 is like - anyone have any other recomendations. Also like a fairy large screen but don't want to lug the laptop around in the car.

Cheers John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:52

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:52
John ,

Sorry , but I know nothing about Garmin . I do know a gent on the ExplorOz site though , who is really an expert on them . Let me know if you need his details .

I had the same problem - wanted a larger screen , but did not want a laptop taking up 25% of the dashboard .

I settled on a Magellan "FX324 MAP COLOUR" which is has a screen about 10 x 7 cm and has an SD card on which you load the Magellan / Hema "Australia's Desert Maps ".

This big screen model has now been discontinued , although some outlets may still have stock ( Magellan might know if there is any around still ) . Also , the odd second hand one may turn up on EBay .

I have my unit mounted on top of the dash and it has an easy to read map screen showing your plot .

I also ( I like toys ) have bought myself a " Fujitsu Life Book " Tablet which is about half the size of an average notebook and runs OziExplorer . I had a swivel stand built for it in my 100 Series , by a gent who used to install cameras in racing cars .

I cannot get a decent idea of " where I am " using the little screens on PDAs , but plenty of people seem to be able to , as they are quite popular .

Last week I just bought myself a Magellan Explorist 500 for gold detecting . It has an SD card and good maps , but the screen is too small for the car ( for my old eyes anyway )

I am maintaining a vigil on this site , as I am getting a bit desperate to locate a 16' BT .

Cheers ,

Jigalong .
AnswerID: 572679

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 19:03

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 19:03
Thanks Jigalong,
I had not thought about 'mini' notebook computers, I shall have a look around. I could easily velcro them onto the dash mat on the cruiser. Whereabouts do you 'chase the weight' WA or Eastern states?

John
FollowupID: 848457

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 19:10

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 19:10
John ,

I have only been once and that was a 10 day tagalong with Coiltek / Gold Expeditions , out from Nullagine two months ago .

I really loved it and I cannot wait to get back there next April .

Next week I am going to take my new detector down to the Abercrombie River in NSW where I have some land . I am sure to find plenty of lead bullets etc .

Do you have a go ?

Jigalong
FollowupID: 848458

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 20:06

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 20:06
Yes Mate,
Been pottering on goldfields since the early eighties and found a few ounces over the years. Its a great excuse for getting out bush and you never know what you will find - even in thrashed areas.... on the beach as well. I have a SD 2200 and a Xterra 70.

Question for you.. what sort of GPS do you have feeding data the little Fujistu running Oziexplorer and did you have any problems with hooking this system up?

Cheers John
FollowupID: 848459

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 21:16

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 21:16
John ,

The brand is GlobalSat and it is bluetooth to the Fujitsu . It is a tiny thing about 2" x 3" and sits on the dash near the windscreen . I have put some velcro tape on the back ( sorry this obscured the model number ) to keep it in place on the dash and it runs on power from the cig. lighter .

There is quite a few people using these successfully and I am happy with mine . This GPS is only for use in conjunction with a computer - it has no visual readout itself .

I purchased mine on EBay and the Chinese importer was actually based only a couple of klm away from me in Sydney . From memory , I think it cost around $200 .

Are you from WA or over East . Are you still detecting these days ? Most of my friends have not retired yet , and none of them are interested in gold detecting , so I have nobody to do it with . All dressed up and no place to go !

Oh well , back to watching the market gyrations .

Jigalong

FollowupID: 848460

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 21:26

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 21:26
John ,

I just checked - $119.00 plus postage from Sydney . Check it out at :

Site Link

Jigalong
FollowupID: 848461

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 22:26

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2007 at 22:26
Thanks mate.

Yes I still detect when I have the opportunity. I am currently doing some part time work as a Reserves Manager on contractor/volunteer basis with the Dept of Environment and Conservation. Based at Lorna Glen Station about 160NE of Wiluna in WA. Planning on leaving in November and spending a bit of time between here and Kalgoorlie checking the many gold areas. I am not at all familiar with this region and will need to do some research. I knew the East Kimberley Goldfields in the top end of WA well and found most of my gold there - still one of the least flogged regions IMHO.

Regards John
AnswerID: 572680

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 03:07

Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 03:07
This gadget has a nice sunlight readable screen but you need $$$$$$$

Site Link

Cheers

Alan
AnswerID: 572681

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 03:21

Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 03:21
John

You might find this site of some interest.

www.doug-and-dusty.id.au/maps.htm
AnswerID: 572682

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 04:08

Thursday, Aug 09, 2007 at 04:08
Yeh , Dusty is a whiz with Garmin , but Doug's not too good .
FollowupID: 848462

Our Sponsors