Faulty Solar Panel

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2007 at 22:47
ThreadID: 124006 Views:3937 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Has anyone had solar panel that stopped working and then come good again?
One of our 125w panels which were retro fitted in 2004 stopped working recently and still did not work after removal when reconnected to the solar controller, as you would expect.
I spoke to the supplier Tasman Energy who were very helpfull and also to Kyocera who asked me to carry out a battery charging test before sending it back to them.
Whilst waiting for the sun to shine during a week of rain I made a box to send it back to Kyocera.
I carred out the test today while the sun was out and I now find that the bloody thing works again. I suspect that using the panel as a template for the box making has jolted it back into life but for how long?
Has any member had a solar panel come good again or have they all stayed dead.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 at 05:44

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 at 05:44
Have just gone through an excercise with Kyocera panels and had a very favourable out come with the "Rainbow Power Company" located at Nimbin in Nth. Eastern N.S.W.
Their T/phone # 02 6689 1430 or have a look at www.rpc.com.au
The panels have to be checked with a load on them ie: if directly connected to a multimeter the may show excellent readings, but connect them in series with a multimeter through a battery or a load of some type and the results could be very different. That was our experience and we have since had all our panels replaced under warranty thanks to the assistance of the Rainbow Power Co. and some helpful advice from other members of the group.
Tony
AnswerID: 572823

Reply By: Peter & Leigh - Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 18:49

Friday, Aug 31, 2007 at 18:49
Hi Judy and Tony,
Kyoceria have finnaly agreed to replace the panel and Tasman Energy are picking up the freight from this end which is great.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
AnswerID: 572824

Our Sponsors