Proposed Route

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 04, 2007 at 18:53
ThreadID: 124023 Views:4588 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are sorry we missed going to Boulia for the camel races. We had planned to head up but family commitments prevented us.
However, we will be travelling from Kempsey to Boulia to assist in a bird survey soon and are looking for the most direct route, taking into account road conditions and camp sites.
The proposed route is Kempsey, Wollomombi, Armidale, Bundarra, Inverell, Moree, Mungindi, St George, Mitchell (via backroad through Albany Downs), Windorah, etc.
Unfortunately we do have some time constraints on the trip to Bedourie - not so much on the way back. We are wondering if anyone is familiar with the Kempsey to Wollomombi and Albany Downs sections or if anyone has any other suggestions.
Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 06:50

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 06:50
Hi Richard & Nina,
Can't help you with the 2 questions you have, but Wollomombi falls are the second highest in Australia.

However...a really nice free camp is the lions park just South of Bundarra...has green grassy river banks, a shelter with table and seats, flush toilets and water tap. If you don't make it that far a nice free camp is at Dumaresq Dam 12 k's West of Armidale and has flush toilets, a shelter with tables and gas BBQ's.

Another good free camp is between Birdsville and Bedourie, no facilities, but then that's why we all bought BT's...it does however have a nice hot bore and the bore drain leaves the cooling pond and snakes past the campsite...great for a dip...just test the water temp first. It was around spa temp when we were there last June. It's just 500m North of Carcory Ruin...also a nice piece of history.

I put some notes about it in the camp sites page on this site and a link to a pic as well.

We're heading to the Channel Country of SW Qld on Friday for 3 weeks, before we start work in the motels again in Armidale on October 1st.

Hope you have a great trip....
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 572858

Reply By: Avalon Boggers - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:11

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:11
Thanks - we'll probably stay at the camp site you mention near Carcory Ruins on the way back - the sound of wallowing in warm water certainly appeals!
We may even pass you guys somewhere along the road - we get ridiculously excited when we see other BT's - feels like family.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 572859

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:44

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:44
Yep, we're the same when it comes to spotting BT's on the road...we're just about leaping through the windscreen with big grins and eyes the size of dinner plates.

Other BT'ers just look in amazement....especially when we don't have our BT in tow....they think we're escapees from "The Bin"..

So if we see you on the road...you'll know about it...

Safe travels
Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848530

Reply By: Roundie - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:49

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 19:49
Hi Richard & Nina

Just read your proposed route and note you intend to travel from Kempsey to Wollomombi. I have travelled this road several times but not towing. The road is OK to the bottom of the range but once you start the climb the road becomes very narrow in places and in some areas if you met oncomming vehicles you may find it difficult to pass. Its been a few years since I've travelled that why so I'm not sure if any work has been carried out to widen it.
If I was towing a BT I think I would go over the range via Dorrigo then onto Ebor, Guyra, Tingha and then onto Inverell.

Regards
Russ & Carol
AnswerID: 572860

Follow Up By: Avalon Boggers - Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 20:10

Wednesday, Sep 05, 2007 at 20:10
Hi Russ & Carol
Thanks - we had a few misgivings about the road via Wollomombi so we'll probably do as you suggest.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 848531

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 03:00

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 03:00
I'd have to second the thoughts above that the Kempsey - Wollomombi road is a great part of the country up around the Styx river area but the range is gravel and narrow and there is often traffic on it.
AnswerID: 572861

Reply By: The Chair man - Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 03:41

Thursday, Sep 06, 2007 at 03:41
We travelled the road between Windorah and Bedourie a month ago, its a long stretch between fuel availability, we were praying hard for the last 20 km into Bedourie, we had extra fuel with us but had a head wind, got about 5 km to litre. The road from Eulo to Quilpie (I don't believe you will be travelling that way) but it is one car width and littered every .5 km with road kill. Trucks do a night run through there and just flatten anything in their path. Food shop before Bedourin, although there is a large supermarket there, the prices are scarey.
AnswerID: 572862

Our Sponsors