How do I store my frypans,saucepans etc in the BT cupboards ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 22:20
ThreadID: 124087 Views:5022 Replies:14 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
On the long weekend ,we went on our maiden voyage in "Elvis" our new ( to us )16 ft BT .

My only problem was , where to store food , plates and cooking gear without it ending up bouncing all over the place in the cupboards , while travelling on dirt roads .

Can anybody give me some storeage tips ?

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 22:40

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 22:40
Hi Willie,

Welcome to the BOG!

Things that have worked for us. We installed a drawer under the stove & use it for pots & pans. We have stainless steel pots & two commercial-grade frypans.
We use a wire plate rack (three levels) screwed down for Correlle plates which are secured by 4mm shock cord running top to bottom of the rack on each side. No losses or damage so far. For cups we use a piece o 110mm sewer pie with a slot cut in front for a stack of cups. Use the commercial stackable cups.
Works for us on many outback journeys

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573013

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 00:30

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 00:30
"For cups we use a piece o 110mm sewer pie"
Had a few that I would describe that way.
Never tried to store cups in one though.

Ha

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 848607

Reply By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 23:50

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 23:50
Hi Willie,
We just got back from a month in the channel country and we choose to travel the little dotted lines on the map if we can get to the same destination the big thick lines go to....River roads and the like are very interesting and no traffic...however the lumps and bumps can be a bit interesting.

With our pots and pans and lids for same... we stack them inside each other with a piece of that fabulous non slip rubber mat in between each piece...they don't rattle or rub and their combined weight makes them less likely to topple over.

All our shelves have this fabulous non slip mat on them including the fridge shelves. We use a couple of reasonable sized plastic boxes to store the jams and relishes and all the little items on the fridge shelves..these boxes sit on the rubber mat and don't move...we also take everything off the fridge door shelves when we travel the rough stuff so the door doesn't stress the hinges over the corrugations.

With all cupboards...we pack them pretty tight so things don't roll around and if we have a few loose ones...we shove a towel in to take up the space..or rolls of paper towel is also good...we use them a lot for cleanups and they also make a handy napkin at meal time too.

Our plates and bowls are melamine and we stack them on that fab non stick rubber matting in an overhead locker and they just don't move at all.

Whenever I go to a camping store or the like....I grab a few extra rolls of that Fabulous Non Slip Rubber Matting and chuck it in the BT...JIC (Just In Case)

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 573014

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 00:48

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 00:48
Hi Bob,

Wheres your sence of adventure? Sewer pie is an alternative to Roadkill burgers. Sure adds flavour to your tea or coffee. Also the lubrication provided by the pie stops the cups from rubbing

dislexic Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 848608

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:35

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:35
We also have the base of all the cupboards lined with non slip matting and the have the largest plates on the bottom and then where it changes to a smaller size we have another piece of non slip. The cups and Glass glasses in stubby holders just sit beside them and the thinner wine glasses are eith in the box that they are bought in or inside a stubby holder.

When on rough roads we then fill up the empty space above them with spare towels or a windcheater and I don't think we have had a breakage in 150,000 km.

The pots and pans are all stored in the cupboard at the back of the van where they are likely to get the most bounce, but we have some of the non slip matting between each saucepan as they are stacked inside each other and the between different sized frying pans etc.

The secret is to fill up the space around items so that they cannot move around much.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 573015

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:53

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:53
"The secret is to fill up the space around items so that they cannot move around much."

No problem with that and my missus..................yo

Ern
FollowupID: 848609

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:52

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:52
The way to fill up the spaces around the items is with balloons. We have been doing this for 4 years. You can get a balloon pump from Coles for about $5.00. Also buy balloon clips from a balloon place so that you can reuse the balloons again and again. We fill our fridge and every available space with them. They do not cause temp changes in the fridge as they are of latex (of course). The idea is to stop things bouncing. Marie takes about 10-15 minutes to put them in place and everything remains stable.
Len
AnswerID: 573016

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 07:53

Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 07:53
Ha! So yuse are the mob wot beet us to the registration of a copy right on the balloon idea eh! :-) Jest a jokin!

But - serious now - Sally has done that for a while and it works a treat! Also we are avid collectors of drink can stubby coolers - get strange looks though as we are "non-drinkers" - but they fit those glass sauce bottles etc and make real good "anti smash" socks on the glass bottles.
Cheers - Sally & Ian
FollowupID: 848610

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 04:34

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 04:34
You use lots of nonskid and pool noodles!!

For example, if your plates are in a location where there is a surface close above them, you put nonskid between each plate and you jam a piece of pool noodle between the top plate and the shelf/surface above.

We have carried good china using this method and in four years not one chip!

Jay
AnswerID: 573017

Reply By: CD & JW - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:06

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:06
The cheapest paper plates make good go betweens too. But you must stop the bounce with some sort of fill. We use our extra teatowels or some such. Might try some of the ideas suggested though. We also put a folded teatowel or two over the cutlery in the drawer to stop them jumping about and having a party while we are travelling the back (almost) tracks.

LJW
AnswerID: 573018

Reply By: Cowcockies - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:30

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 06:30
We prefer to use china and glass, so non slip mat is the go. Glasses go in appropriately sized sleeves cut from plastic drink bottles. Cut off rectangular plastic milk containers are used for a multitude of storage uses. If something does leak it is contained.

Regards
David & Sue
AnswerID: 573019

Follow Up By: Maximus - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:19

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:19
I really do not know what all the fuss is about. We just completed 25000K's. Broke one cup...
Non slip on base of all shelves , SS saucepans, one inside the other,. packed away just like home.
Get out there and enjoy it and stop worring about trivia.
FollowupID: 848611

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:26

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:26
Barrie ,
I hate washing up , so I have a non stick fry pan and saucepans with metal handles so they can be used on the fire or stove . Stack em and bugger em . Not trivia to ruin a $100 frying pan - at least not for me anyway .
Willie .
FollowupID: 848612

Reply By: CD & JW - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:24

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:24
Spoilsport LOL
We were just getting wound up too
Most posts on the board for a long time.
Well I for one am glad to see tips - even if I decide not to use any of them.
LJW
AnswerID: 573020

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:50

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 08:50
Hi Jigalong

Things ride better in the BT that in the car! I use mainly plastic crockery as it is light weight and easy to store. Our china coffee cups go back into the boxes they came in. Like Noosa Fox drawers and shelves are lined with non slip matting. Like CD&JW i use tea towels. Cutlery is rolled in tea towels and they are also used between pots and pans and around the lids. When we buy breakable gifts to bring back home, they are packed amongst the spare towels and rags.

Hooray for no breakages, after the single axle tossed everything all over the place previous little camper.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 573021

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:36

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:36
Howdy Mrs Hen ,

Is that 'cos the Ford has a rough ride or the BT is as smooth as ?

Everybody will be shocked when I let it slip here that I use PAPER PLATES !! AH YUK . I hate washing up with a passion . When I am by myself , I cook all my vegetables in foil in the coals and grill my meat . My washing up consists of a knife and fork , tongs and a wine glass .

I do have four enamel plates , but I ownly bring them out for dinner parties .

Willie .
FollowupID: 848613

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:50

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:50
I just love your sophistication! It reminded me of some of the stories from Len Beadell's books; he used to open the can with a screw driver and eat with it. When a delegation of VIPs was send out to Woomera area they sent plane loads of stuff in for the dignitaries - just how many screw drivers do you need for 40 people?

We haven't towed with the F250 yet, and even with the extra leave in the springs, it give us a good ride - better in fact, as the F250s are known for 'rolling' and this has been eliminated since the springs were added to.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 848614

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:27

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:27
Thanks everybody for some fascinating and inventive ideas .
Willie .
AnswerID: 573022

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 22:19

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 22:19
Keep your empty cask wine bladder. Great fillers, They blow up real easy and just deflate them when not in use.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 573023

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 04:26

Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 04:26
And IF you are a non-drinker (heaven forbid) then use balloons
AnswerID: 573024

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 17:58

Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 17:58
After having our knives, fork and spoons do the McCann TV ad and jump into the next tray a couple of times on very rough roads, we put a piece of foam rubber that was the right thickness to fill the space above the cutlery tray and the top of the drawer and that has worked very good.

The next drawer down has all the other utensiles in and we did the same in that drawer and it stopped most of the rubbing that they do against each other. The problem in that drawer though is that since then SWMBO has managed to gather some more goodies so it looks like I will have to get a thinner piece of foam.

We use Corel crockery and normal china mugs and don't have a problem.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 573025

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 19:20

Saturday, Oct 06, 2007 at 19:20
My plan for the glasses and mugs , based on what I have read here :

Place a thin ply false wood floor on one of the shelves , which cannot move .
Glue 1 cm foam all over this .
Obtain 8 cm foam with an area large enough to locate two of each - wine glasses big glasses and mugs.
Cut holes to fit each item and glue this 8 cm foam to the 1 cm foam.

I still cannot decide on the best way to locate the plates and cereal bowls , and pots and pans . To do it in the foam like the glasses , would waste too much space .

I don't think I would go to the trouble of taking up spare volume with balloons and air bladders though .

So this morning , I am off to Clarke Rubber to buy some new watertight hatch seals , a piece of foam that sits between the water tight door and the vent in the door ( to stop dust ) and the foam to make the holders described above .

I will keep you informed , as this rivetting saga continues.

Thanks ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 573026

Our Sponsors