Tyre pressures in the outback

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 at 23:56
ThreadID: 124088 Views:4945 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have just returned from the Birdsville Races that weren’t (Who needs horses, lets party, & party they did!).
The main subject at the start of conversations in Birdsville was “How many tyres did you blow getting here?” I guess I heard about 20 odd blowouts! (S&M Black Cobra did one too) One caravanner had blown three tyres between Alice Springs & Birdsville. Why? Some clever person at Bridgestone in Alice told them to run 50psi for their Prado & Pop Top.

We also saw a Supreme “offroad” van 70km out of Birdsville that had a lucky to be still upright with the front drivers side wheel missing. This was driven by an outback novice, too much tyre pressure, and an un-noticed blow-out (The Simplicity suspension works well!). He had continued until the tyre shredded, then until the rim wore down to the brake drum. The first decent rut sheared the stub axle & the Simplicity acting as a plough stopped them. An unbelievable amount of damage inside, while the outside looked OK except for the suspension damage. I would guess a write-off.

The best advice I’ve received in the outback was from Adam Plate who runs the Ooodnadatta Pink Roadhouse & has lived out there for 35 years. His suggestion based on his experience is 28psi all round irrespective of load, & keep below 80kph while the tyre pressure is down.On some extreme sections we dropped the tyres down to 26psi

We’ve now travelled 70,000Km & almost every major outback desert road with our TOJO & BT, without a tyre problem.
You do need to be aware that the sidewalls hang down a bit & are succeptable to damage from large sharp rocks, so be aware & careful.

I don’t know how this formula would go with the “little” tyres on a F250, but would be worth investigating with outback experts such as Adam.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:28

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 01:28
Neil,
The standard tyres on the F250's are the same size as your little ones on a Landcruiser, except that they have a higher load rating than the Cruiser does.

I now run 285 instead of the standard 265 and also run both F250 and Van on 28 to 30 psi cold and we haven't had many problems either.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573027

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 22:24

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 22:24
I agree with Adam - and after two years we have yet to lose a tyre van or vehicle.

John and Jean
AnswerID: 573028

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Oct 05, 2007 at 04:35

Friday, Oct 05, 2007 at 04:35
We too travelled to Birdsville whilst we were over East, along with far North Qld, Far West Qld, The Gulf country, & the Plenty we travelled all dirt roads with 28psi on the Van and 35psi on the truck. The only time we had a tyre problem was heading into Cammoweal Caves the 20ks and i was too lazy to drop pressures, result one stone through the sidewall, since then the pressure's drop and no further tyre damage.
FollowupID: 848615

Reply By: Black Cobra - Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 08:33

Thursday, Oct 11, 2007 at 08:33
Neil,

Don't know who told you we had a blow out, not us. We travelled the back tracks from the Nullabor through to Coober Pedy, Onadatta Track, Birdsville Track, Development Road, Plenty H'Way, through Cattlewater Pass over the East MacDonell's and Great Central Road doing some 8500 km's in 4 weeks without a tyre problem.

Ran the F250 at 34psi as well as the BT at 34psi and travelled at the correct speed for the conditions. Drove over enough corrogations to last me for a year.

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 573029

Our Sponsors