Landcruiser 200 series

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 14, 2007 at 02:54
ThreadID: 124125 Views:4294 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everone,

We actually flew from Bendigo to Sydney for the so-called launch of the 200 series. It was a real disappointment as they had one vehicle on display and another on the 4WD track outside.
The vehicle on display was on a stand and they would not allow anyone within 5 feet. They wouldn't even open the drivers door for fear that people would take photographs. Apparently this was because that vehicle was a pre-production test model (a Sahara) and may have slightly different specifications to the production models.

There were no specifications available and some of the Toyota people on the stand did not even seem to know what suspensions were available.
VERY DISAPPOINTING TOYOTA.

Now that I have had my bitch I can report the following.

The TD is definitely a twin turbo model with one intercooled turbo per bank of cylinders. It has 4 valves per cylinder and drives a 6 speed auto gearbox.

The new Kinetic (KDSS) suspension will be standard on the VX and Sahara models and will be an option on the GXL. The first 200 GXL's into Aus. will have the KDSS fitted but after that it will not be available for an unspecified period. Apparently the WA manufacturer have not been able to produce enough just yet. I can report seeing the 200 going over some pretty horrible bumps and the wheel articulation is spectacular. As I suspect most buyers will want the KDSS I hope that the delay is not too long.

The new crawl mode is available on the petrol models only.

The diesel GXL comes standard with DAT (downhill assist control), HAC (hill start assist control) and multiple airbags. It also comes with VSC(vehicle stability control) and multi terrain ABS. Sounds like a lot of electronics to go wrong to me but most vehicles are going this way.

The wheels are a 5 stud model but I was unable to determine if there were any peculiar offsets.

It seems we are going to have to wait till 16th November for full specifications.

Hope I get one of the first 200.

Regards to all,

Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtrek - Monday, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:46

Monday, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:46
Tony,
In case you have not seen this website.

Link: www.landcruiser200.com.au/

Not a lot of info though..
Cheers
Graeme
AnswerID: 573136

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Monday, Oct 15, 2007 at 18:38

Monday, Oct 15, 2007 at 18:38
Thanks Graeme, yes I have seen it.
Regards,
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 848687

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Friday, Oct 19, 2007 at 10:18

Friday, Oct 19, 2007 at 10:18
Hi all,

I can report that prior to the 200 series release in Sydney, I was privy to a viewing (sit in, photos etc) of the 200 at the Landcruiser Club National Conference in the Flinders Ranges, where we had it for 1 1/2 hrs. It was on a photo shoot at Wilpena Pound when it was brought to us. The vehicle we saw, was as you describe, a prototype & is destined for Sims Metal after the release. The one we had was the petrol V8 and was quite impressive in some areas but not in others.

Good points - Centre row of seats are now on tracks so leg room can be adjusted for all seats, keyless entry & start, Kinetic suspension, tool kit is now in a panel in the drop down tailgate(which also now restricts tailgate usage), centre row of seats fold using 1 lever only now instead of the 2 levers.

Bad points - Automatic only(personal choice), design of front & rear bumper & it's moulding to the body will make it difficult for after market accessory manufacturers of bullbars & rear steps/wheel carriers.

It also looked to have 4 mounting points for roof racks but I could be wrong there.

I currently have a 100 series & think I will wait a while and see how they go & to allow the accessory crowds to get some gear organised.

Dave.
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 573137

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 20:59

Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 20:59
Dave,

ARB are already well advanced on their design for a bull bar for the 200 series. Apparently they got their hands on one several months ago. They don't seem to think that it is a problem.
Regards,
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 848688

Our Sponsors