Van brakes

Submitted: Friday, Oct 19, 2007 at 23:36
ThreadID: 124138 Views:4042 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced front brake drums hotter than rear?

Just home after picking up new van. After travelling down range country I checked brake drums. Front hot rear cold.

BT said probably because of weight loading forward when braking down hill????

I have checked brake adjustment but seemed OK.

Cheers,

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 00:33

Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 00:33
Hi Rob,

Just make sure that the rear magnets are working, easiest way is to get someone to depress the brake pedal in the car and when crouching down next to the rear wheel on the van you should hear a click as the magnet activates. (only one click of course as the magnet hits the drum)

Everything stationary of course, just had sudden visions of you running down the road bent over trying to hear the click.

The brakes will need adjustment as the brake shoes bed in during the first couple of weeks use.

Paul.
AnswerID: 573174

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:53

Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:53
"BT said probably because of weight loading forward when braking down hill???? "
Garbage!!
Definately something wrong there, perhaps not working at all on the rear due to an electrical problem.

I check my wheels, hubs and drums regularly with an infra-red type thermometer and all 4 wheels are always very close to each other in temp.
Temp varies according to conditions, hilly or flat country so I am really using the check as a comparison to see if one wheel is hotter or colder and therefor indicating a problem.

"You're the first to have that happen"

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573175

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:59

Saturday, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:59
A note to add to Paul's comment.
Depending on the type of brake controller fitted you may not activate the brakes when stationary by pressing on the brake pedal.
Use the manual overide lever on the brake controller for this test and for a better result jack up the van wheels and make sure that there is braking effort applied.
Perhaps the magnet is working but the fault may be with the actuating lever connection.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573176

Reply By: Rob & Shayne - Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 18:26

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 at 18:26
Thanks for the responce guy's

I have now checked brake adjustment (Which did appear OK)
Checked each wheel to ensure brakes were activating. All OK

We are heading off next week so will see if anything has changed.

Regards

Rob
AnswerID: 573177

Our Sponsors