Murray River - Albury(NSW) to Sea (SA)

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 at 21:17
ThreadID: 124154 Views:4683 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi BTers

This weekend 28/29 October 2007 we are going to leave Sydney to travel the Murray River from Albury to the sea.

Two questions:

1. Is anyone wanting to tag along with us? We plan to spend about 5 weeks on the Murray.

2. To all of you that have done it we will take onboard any information you may wish to offer about what to see and do, where to camp, etc

We rolled our 20' BT on the Tanami Track in June this year (a stub axle snapped) and finally we have it back (October 2007). Bushtracker did a fantastic job repairing our van and I want to thank Tracey, Wayne, Peter and the boys at Bushtracker for doing a great job.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 at 21:34

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 at 21:34
Hi Mike and Carol,

We also rolled our Busthracker on The Oodnadatta track about the same time. Unfortunately ours did not fare so well with the Landcruiser and the BT were both eventually written off. We have a new 20 ft. BT on order but will not get it till September 2008. We have also ordered a new Landcruiser TD 200 series.

We are now undertaking that 4 letter word (work) but we are missing the lifestyle and we really look forward to September next year.

So glad you are both back enjoying your Bushtracker.
Drive carefully.

Regards,
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 573223

Reply By: CD & JW - Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 07:38

Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 07:38
Hi from us too Mike and Carol
Wish we could be doing a similar trip ( or any trip actually). Pretty busy at the moment. But our time will come - eventually.
LJW
AnswerID: 573224

Reply By: Pixellator - Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:10

Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:10
Hi Mike & Carol
Glad to hear you're back on track, so to speak.
Had been wondering how you fared... you mustn't have got my email from a month or so ago.
Broome was great, but a bit quiet without you guys!
Cheers
Bob H
AnswerID: 573225

Reply By: Silver Fox - Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 23:13

Thursday, Oct 25, 2007 at 23:13
Just returned from down south. Did some Murray River camps. Some good memories are: ( Camps 3 or 4 needed) "Police Paddocks" # 292, map 42, Bottle Bend Forest Reserve # 493, map 28, "Big Bend" lookout # 213. These were stopped at. Others looked at but usually too early in the day so only checked out and noted in Camps : # 220, map 62, #224 seems to have had camping cancelled. There are of course a multitude of places to explor and I didn't follow the river all the way. Stayed at the Top Tourist at Berri. It's very nice with a very plesant walk along the river over the road. LOTS of birds there. e.g. Parrot breeding time. Boobook Owls too.
I'm interested in how the rig rolled. "Forewarned is forearmed".
I was on the Oodnadatta 9/10 th Sept.Stayed at the William Creek Pub site. lots of on-coming traffic. Even had one lot of Camper trailer folk chatting on their UHFs say " Who would want to drag one of those around. You can't go into the real bush like us either". I was laughing so much forgot to reply.
happy travels, Neil.
AnswerID: 573226

Follow Up By: Bushtucker Man - Friday, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:23

Friday, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:23
We got similar chatter when we did the Oodnadatta Track last year on the way to Uluru, West Mac's via Mereenie Loop then on to Alice, from Alice went to Chambers Pillar via Maryvale Station, then from Rodinga followed the Old Ghan railway to Finke, went out to Mt Dare, Dalhousie Springs then to Oodnadatta thru Hamilton Station.

I must admit I laugh every time someone makes a stupid comment about where they go in their camper trailers.

Stan
FollowupID: 848748

Reply By: Grinandbearit - Friday, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:19

Friday, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:19
Mike and Carol

We left Perth and picked up BT on 24-9-2007 and headed into the Watagans Nat Park, Kosciuszko Area and then down the Murray where we are sitting at the moment. Would thoroughly recommend a stay at the 'Police Paddocks" off Police Paddocks Road, Rutherglen Vic (easy access and camping 2 metres from River.

Also travael on the Goulburn Valley Highway (A39) from Cobram to Tocumwal, two kilometres before Tocumwal, sign on left saying " Tucomwal Regional Park -Time Out Holiday Resort. (Camps3 site Victoria No 307) on the 'Pumps Bend Track. Go in past the 'Time Out Resort (about 5 kms in) sticking to Pump Bend Track and you come to 'Grassy Beach; Brilliant area, good track in, great access, plenty of camping spots on the sandy/grass area on rivers edge at this location.

Unfortunately we are heading to Echuca tomorow and then back to WA to gear up for early next year. Enjoy.

John and Wendy
AnswerID: 573227

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2007 at 03:07

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2007 at 03:07
G'day Mike and Carol,

Our "Murray Source to Sea" trip is one of the best trips we've done in our five years of BT lifestyle. One little tip.....try to stay on the Victorian side if you like having a campfire and collecting firewood. NSW NPWS don't allow either.

There are plenty of free camps right on the bank of the river. Places like Bunroy Junction, Clarke Lagoon, and Talmalmo on the upper Murray. Then Bourkes Bend (east of Corowa), Barmah Island, Gunbower State Forest, (visit the bird sanctuary near here), Nyah State Forest, Boundary Bend, Murrumbidgee Junction (don't venture in here if it's raining - black soil!!), Hattah Kukyne National Park, Lindsay Island (the bridge is okay, but more black soil), Mannum, Long Point & the Barrages of the Coorong.

We also spent a week with friends on a houseboat from Customs House, North of Renmark, camping along the banks through Chowilla National Park.........superb!

Don't camp under a river red gum, and beware of the black soil if it rains. Take the tinnie for some river cruising/fishing.

Good luck and safe travels.
AnswerID: 573228

Our Sponsors