Window Scratches

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:09
ThreadID: 124167 Views:4226 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any other way to get scratches out of the widows. After having gone through Cattlewater Pass through the East MacDonnells and very close bushes the widows are scratched badly.

I have tried the Plexis and have used a fine polish which brought them up not to bad but when they get dirty they seem to re appear.

Cheers
Stewart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:55

Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:55
Hi Stewart

Don't let them worry you.

You are sure to get more as you continue your adventure, and you will be less stressed about getting scratches if you have some already, and have not gone to the trouble of smoothing them. This has been discussed before so try searching the member's forum if you want to look into it further. I would leave them be until it comes time for selling.

Enjoy your travels

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573272

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:11

Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:11
Stewart i bought some Mothers [brand] plastic polish, the windows came up like new.

Plexus worked on the boat clears to remove salt scum but it wasn't as good on the scratches.
FollowupID: 848772

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 19:09

Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 19:09
Stewart,

When I get tired of looking at all the scratches, I get out the oscillating auto buffer that I purchased from Big W and use a liquid brass cleaner (Brasso) to buff the windows.
The Brasso is not as harsh as using a cutting compound, the deep scratches will not come out but they at least blend in a lot better. A final buff by hand with a soft cloth has all the windows looking great.
Usually end up doing this about once per year.

Paul.
AnswerID: 573273

Follow Up By: Flipp'n Lorry - Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 20:58

Thursday, Nov 01, 2007 at 20:58
I agree with the use of Brasso this is what I have used and it is great
Lorraine
FollowupID: 848773

Reply By: BushBoss - Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 05:50

Saturday, Nov 03, 2007 at 05:50
Hi Stewart
i have just had 2 pack paint overspray removed from 4 of my galaxy windows. I live on the Sunshine Coast in Qld and went to a plastics place called Trademark Plastics. You couldnt even scratch it off. After about 40 mins they had them looking like new again. Apparently they use a product that looks like a soap . They start the buff and work it onto the product then buff the windows. About $55. Therefore most plastic places (fabrication) should be able to do it for you
Regards Lance
AnswerID: 573274

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:54

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:54
Stewart,

If Plexus doesn't remove the scratches the first time, apply several times in succession. Each time it builds up a film over the perspex, "filling" the scratches.
Buff it well between each application.

Cheers..........Rob
AnswerID: 573275

Our Sponsors