Water Saver Shower Head

Submitted: Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:33
ThreadID: 124177 Views:15816 Replies:20 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy ,

I have just returned from a week in Dunolly Caravan Park where I was on a powered site .

As I was on my own , I thought I would have plenty of water for six days if I had three showers ( Don't want to overdo this washing thing ! ) . I ran out of water after the second shower which just amazed me . The second shower had been a wet down , a soap up and a wash off .

I find it hard to believe I used 160 litres of water for washing up and one and a half showers .

Is it possible that the pick ups in the tanks are not getting down to the bottom of the tank ?

Does anybody have any ideas ( apart from me using more than I think )

I can get by for 10 days drinking , washing and washing up ( no showers ) on 50 litres when I am camping in Nulagine .

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:37

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:37
I am loosing the plot a bit I think . The main reason for my post was to ask if anyone had found a good water saver shower head that fitted the metal hose type gadget on the shower of my BT . It would need to have an on / off button on the head too .

At present I seem to have Niagra falls or nothing as the options on my shower head .

Thanks ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 573302

Follow Up By: Agnes Lifestyle - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 21:58

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 21:58
Hi Willie,

All other problems aside......we only use the hot water tap to shower. We put the hot water system on for approx. 8 mins (less when the weather is hot or more when the weather is cold). We use the soap down and dish method. You only use the hot water tap.You get a little cold water to start with which I either save(if necessary) in a collapsable bucket I keep in the shower(use for washing up etc) or put it into the dish and the feet start soaking.If your brave you can get the metabolism going with the first dash of cold.It doesn't matter in the hot weather. We find that this method works very well.
The dish also tells on the hubby. He definately uses more water.
We also the suction method which is very good when you have another source of water.We do warm it up on the fire first.

Dianne
FollowupID: 848802

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 00:06

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 00:06
Dianne ,

Don't be too hard on hubby - he is only making himself beautiful for you .

I tried that method of only turning on the hotwater system before showering and it worked well although I cheated and left it on for longer than 8 minutes . It must waste a lot of gas leaving it on all the time .

What is " Agnes Lifestyle " ? Agnes Waters ?

Thanks ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848803

Reply By: Frank Aus - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:55

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:55
i think i have the same problem, the rear tank seems to go very fast and then the middle tank takes a lot longer, havnt looked at that yet.
AnswerID: 573303

Reply By: SuziTracker - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:59

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:59
Hi Willie

The only thing I can suggest is fill both tanks, then drain them in a measured bucket and see how much useable water you have.

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 573304

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:24

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:24
Brian ,

That is a good idea , thanks .

Willie .
FollowupID: 848804

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 07:01

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 07:01
Hi Jigalong

The tanks may not be letting the air out fast enough to get a good fill, BUT when we are on the road, to shower; we have a quick rinse, then turn off the shower, wash with a flannel and soap, then rinse off again. We stand in the plastic bowl we used to use as our 'bath tub', which is ideal for soaking and scrubbing feet while showering. Both of us use around 9 - 10 litres (the big Rooster uses a greater share than i do).

While we went camping with the F250, we did miss the shower! However using the same principal (without shower to rinse off), we could get scrubbed up and clean with a kettleful of water. Trouble is, as we were outside we waited till after dark and just before bed time, and by then the wind was rather cold!

Happy Bushtracking

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573305

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 07:03

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 07:03
PS

One of the ladies where i work and her husband are going camping and fossicking somewhere up the rabbit proof fence for a month in Nov/Dec. She insists they are only taking 4 X 20 litres of water. We can't convince her that is just not enough!

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 848805

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:31

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:31
Hi Mrs Hen ,

I will check that the tank is filling correctly - thanks .

I use the same "wet , soap , wet " system when I am out in the sticks , but with the shower set-up the way it is now , by the time you have the shower adjusted , you have used heaps of water . Then you turn it off for the "soap sequence" and then you have to go through all that again and waste more water . I need the on / off swith on the head and I need the head to be a "water saver type "

I would not like to be with those people on the rabbit proof fence in the heat of summer , with that amount of water .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848806

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:35

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 08:35
Certainly the getting the warm water run through takes a bit, but i don't mind cold water. We collect it in the bowl, so still use it for washing ourselves. Our older shower head puts out only a little anyway. So nice being able to shower every night, isn't it?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 848807

Reply By: Cargra - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 18:37

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 18:37
G'day Willie,

As Motherhen suggested, you may not be filling your tanks due to the air vents being blocked or restricted by those nasty mud daubing hornets. I was caught out early on when I thought the tanks were full when water overflowed back out of the filler neck. Now I check to see the vents overflowing and have also fitted bits of fine mesh over the pipes to stop the hornet problem.
We usually get 2 showers each and 2days washing up etc out of each tank using the on off system. As we don't have flick mixer taps one of us operates the pump switch as required to save changing the temperature setting by using the taps.
We met a guy in our travels who has a shower head with an on/off button (he actually showed us so they are/were obtainable) but we have asked and searched all over the country with no success so hopefully someone will reply with where they can be bought.
AnswerID: 573306

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:23

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:23
Hi Gracar ,

Thanks for the info . I will find the head with the on / off button and let you know . I asked about it at Caravan Accessories in Sydney's south , but it was out of stock .

I was looking at your rig details and read you had your outboard in a box on the A frame . I have nothing on there at present , and was thinking about something similar , as I will be taking a 3.75 m Dart on the roof racks when I go barra fishing .

Previously the Dart went on the top of the Trak Shak camper I had , and the 15 hp Merc. went on a bracket at the front of the camper . Now I need to find a new set-up.

So I am looking at boat loaders and outboard storeage .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848808

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:33

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:33
PS
I will fillthem today and check that the overflow vents are running . There is a mystery here and I must solve it .
I doubt I have hornets in the pipe though as I have seen no activity .
Willie .
FollowupID: 848809

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:46

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 19:46
Hi Willie,
I think the info you're searching for has been posted on Steve's Forum....the On/Off Tap that fits inline with the original shower head is available from Reece Plumbing according to the info and pic in this post.

Site Link

Hope this helps.....and did you find any Gold at Dunolly??...We're thinking of a trip down that way next Feb March.

Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848810

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 01:17

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 01:17
Rick and Julie ,
I went and had a look and it would work well except , I still need the water saver head .
Will check out Reece .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848811

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:32

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:32
Rick and Julie ,

I forgot to answer your question regarding Dunolly. I was there for five days with another guy . I got nothing , he got a little half gram nugget . We were both using with 4000s with 24" and 16" elliptical coils .

The places near the town have been absolutely flogged . I think you would need to spend a few weeks there and go out wide of the towns and look for the places with no graded tracks on them . Then go out and look for a patch . It's as bad as that .

They were telling me that coach loads of people come up from Melbourne for a days detecting . No wonder it has been worked over so thoroughly .

I would go there more to look around at the fascinating mine workings than to detect . Some areas look like a sea of rabbit burrows and in others , there is deep shafts .

Perhaps if you went there with someone who had detected there a lot , you might have a chance , but how many detector users want to show you their patch !

I think WA has spoiled me and I am happy to going over there in June / July to do two ten day gold detecting tagalongs ( Cue and Halls Creek ). I'll get some gold then .

Cheers ,

Willie .

PS . If you go to the Dunolly Caravan Park , get a site as far as possible from the BBQ shed . They get drunk and noisy in there at night . Otherwise the park was OK .
FollowupID: 848812

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 22:27

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 22:27
Thanks Willie,
We thought it be like that at the well known hot spots and we do have time on our side between now and Feb '08, so we'll do a bit of research on some of the out of the way areas. You have the big guns in the GPX 4000's...we're operating with an Xterra 70 and a GP-3000 with 11" and 14" coils....we can still get some exercise swinging those.

Keep well
Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 848813

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:24

Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:24
Thank you for the pic & site link Innkeepers. Printed the pic to take to Reece here in good old progressive Adelaide - why? Because the real hep dude at Reece Salisbury Plains reckons "Nah, Wont work, not possible, yarda, yarda, yarda" -
Like the wide mouthed frog the attitude changed when I showed 'em the pic and said words to the effect of how nice they weren't and I'll wait tilI get to Qld and let them know what slow pokes were at Salisbury Plains. Suddenly they knew they had one and it is now installed ready to use! $22.50
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 848814

Reply By: Cargra - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 20:11

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 20:11
G'day Rick,

Thanks for that site link, that inline valve would certainly do the job but the one I saw in Giru was an integral part of the shower head in that there was a slide button on the handpiece.

I haven't been able to find that particular one anywhere including several Reece outlets so will go for the set-up you found.

This note for Willie, you may not see the hornets busily "daubing" but around here the buggers block any orifice and even build their mud cocoons on my yard overalls hanging in the garage and plug the telltale hole in my outboard.

cheers
graham
AnswerID: 573307

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 22:44

Monday, Nov 05, 2007 at 22:44
Hi Willie

We have a shower head with a built-in shutoff valve & it works well. The bad news is it came from Japan. I happened to stay at a motel in Gloucester on the way to see our BT being built. They had these on every shower. The owners wife is Japanese, I asked her if she could get me one. A couple of months later there it was at $30!

To see just how much water you both use & need for a shower, here is a simple test. If you have a suction line on your A frame, (every BT should have one of these) drop your suction line into a 20 litre bucket & have your shower. Have a look & see whats left. We find by adjusting the flow on the shower we can get water savings when using our tanks.
When you are camped beside a freindly river or bore, we have the luxury of a full 20 litre shower! Its amazing that with a little practice you can have a good shower on 10 litres, & a 5 litre shower is more than adequate when you are totally reliant on your tanks.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 573308

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:10

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:10
Hi Neil ,
Your suction line sounds like a great idea . Do you just re-route the water to go from a bucket instead of from your tank ? Is it just the cold water ? Do you mix it with hot in the shower ?
Was this gadget a factory option , or did you make it ?
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848815

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:54

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:54
Willie,
This option can be easily fitted by you. You need to take off an elbow on your manifold & replace it with a tee, then use the elbow to direct the piping down to a shutoff valve & then via a hose to the A frame. How you deal with it on the A frame is yiur choice, but I recommend that you provide a shutoff or a plug to stop dust getting in.
We simply turn off the shutoff velves to the BT tanks, turn on the suction line valve & drop the end of the hose into the bucket. The water behaves just the same as coming from the BT tanks & goes through the HWS & the cold line. You may need to flush out the system if you are using muddy river water for a shower if you want clean water back at the kitchen sink.
We have also used the suction line for the on-board washing machine, using river & bore water, & also at Coober Pedy & Birdsville CP where water connection was not available.

Neil

FollowupID: 848816

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:05

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:05
Neil ,
That is a great idea and not to hard - even a clutz like me . It will also enable me to utilize the extra three 25 litre water containers I will be taking to the WA goldfields this year . I will actually be able to look at how much water I am using to shower .
Thanks heaps ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848817

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 07:35

Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 07:35
Neil AKA Boystoy,
Thanks for that one will be trying it as soon as I need to fill again. The rear most tank has driven me quite stirry at times - even with the supplied thinner hose and real slow fill!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 848818

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 06:10

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 06:10
We had one tank which we thought was filling properly (ie water was overflowing at tank inlet), but the tank always ran out very quickly.

After getting under the van, and spending a fair bit of time looking around, I found that one tie strap under the chassis was too tight, with the effect of crimping the supply line to that one tank. It was difficult to spot, as the crimped line was intermingled with other tank lines which were all ok.

Removed the tie strap, straightened out the crimp, and all fixed.
AnswerID: 573309

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:07

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:07
Phil and Lorraine ,
I will get under there today and have a look - if it stops raining !
Thanks ,
Willie
FollowupID: 848819

Reply By: Gus507001 - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 16:10

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 16:10
We normally get 4 to 5 showers out of a tank using the wet down/turn off/ lather up system. If water is a real issue we can stretch it to 6 but 4 is more enjoyable.
We have an efficient water head on the shower that came from Bias Boating in a pack including a hose line, the shower head has an on/off switch which we hardly ever use as it is more convenient to just bump to the off position the Flick-master shower control.
Nothing like a good shower at the end of the day.
Gus
AnswerID: 573310

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:10

Tuesday, Nov 06, 2007 at 18:10
Thanks Gus ,
I had foregotten about Bias , but I will have a look at their site now ,
Willie .

PS
I wish this site had a spell checker - I am just the worst spella !
FollowupID: 848820

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:39

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:39
Willie, download the free spell check ieSpell. It works on all the forums and on websites when you send in direct contact through the site rather than you own email. I have it set up so i right click in the text, and it checks for me.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 848821

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 17:53

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 17:53
Thanks Mrs Hen . I will download it this morning - although I guess it will be "American English" . It will have better spelling than I do anyway.
Willie
FollowupID: 848822

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 03:45

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 03:45
I have found that you can "break" the airlock by wrapping a hand towel around the hose where it goes in to fill your tank. Push hard to make a seal and you will hear the overflow hose "blow" as it clears the air lock. The air is then pushed out to enable a fuller "fill"
AnswerID: 573311

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:33

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:33
A good trick .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848823

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:54

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:54
Careful you guys, this casn blow the tank asa well if you have too much water pressure.
Bushtracker always recommend a small filling hose so that you have plenty of air space around it to prevent over pressurising the tank.
A simple trick if you dont mind getting dirty, is to slide under the van & connect a bit of flexible plastic tube to the overflow of you tank. Then blow through this tube. If there is no blockage, you will simply blow out the water seal & allow the tank to breathe & fill easyier.

Neil

FollowupID: 848824

Follow Up By: Black Cobra - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:22

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:22
Why don't they just come up with a better fill neck system as all makes of vans have similar problem, the mind boggles.

Cheers
Stewart
FollowupID: 848825

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 18:13

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 18:13
On our BT #1 we had one tank that indicated that it was full, i.e, the water came out the breather pipe when filling, but the tank emptied quickly.

I measured the content by draining the (full?) tank into buckets and only got about 60lt.

I removed the tank and found that the breather hose had been pushed in too deeply and the end was 1/3 the way down the tank.
The tank had a hole drilled in the top to accept the breather which was pushed in and sealed with Sikaflex or similar.
Not sure if BT have improved on this fitting.

Another recommendation that has been put to the factory by many owners is to extend the length of the breather and bring the end out at the side of the van.
Easy to see which tank is full, easy to clear by blowing back with a hose.
But we will just have to wait until it becomes one of Steve's brilliant ideas that he invented before it happens I suppose. (LOL)

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 573312

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 21:02

Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 at 21:02
When I fitted two extra tanks(6) I removed the silly loop in the vent hose and brought all of them to a common point just in front of the off-side wheels. A 12mm low density poly valve is fitted to each with a small piece of plastic fly screen over the end. This will stop mud hornets blocking up the end........not nice to have your end blocked by mud hornets!!!!!!!!

It is the loop in the vent hose that causes most of the problems of filling the tank fully and also prevents draining as well.

cheers and beers
Ernie
AnswerID: 573313

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:52

Thursday, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:52
we always had problems knowing what was full and how much there was so we put in a full set of rvelectronics tank guages.
Now we know exactly(?) how much water we have and if the tanks are filling proper.
They were a bit difficult to put in the tanks as an angle drive air drill with a short hole cutter was required then ran all four leads thru conduit up thru the van floor.

It was worth the trouble as far as we're concerned.
AnswerID: 573314

Reply By: Agnes Lifestyle - Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 01:29

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 01:29
HI Willie,

Agnes Lifestyle is indeed Agnes Water. Most people say Agnes Waters but there is no S on the Water.Even on maps it is sometimes listed as Agnes Waters.Sounds nicer.

Must tell the truth!!! We do not shower everyday when water is scarce!! The gas on the hot water system is only turned on for a few minutes on those momentous occassions. It's amazing how refreshing a little wash down( about 500ml more or less) is.

Dianne
AnswerID: 573315

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 02:11

Friday, Nov 09, 2007 at 02:11
Dianne ,

Why would you want to go anywhere else , when you live in paradise ?

Last July , I did a 14 day bushwalk with ten other people through the Drysdale NP.
We were told not to take soap or BO killer and that we could swim a two or more times a day . It sounded hideous , but they new their stuff . Nobody missed soap , nobody got itchy from not washing their hair , and I guess we all smelled the same , as nobody seemed to notice it . So I guess your one shower every second day, is a bit luxurious !

Willie
FollowupID: 848826

Reply By: Willie - Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 05:20

Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 05:20
Thanks everyone who helped me in this post .

Today I finished the plumbing on my hose that feeds from a bucket outside - for showers .

I filled all tanks until they overflowed .I had to close off the front tank breather as it was overflowing before the back tank was filled and the back tank would not fill completely till I did this . I am going to install a cock on the front breather .

I believe my biggest problem with filling the tanks was the hose pressure was too great . This time I used only a small amount of pressure and it worked .

I got my shower water saving head ( had to buy the whole shebang - hose and fittings ).

From Reece I got the on / off shower tap , help save water .

None of these would have been easy without your help .

Cheers ,

Willie .

PS . Today Elvis went to Barnes Caravans to have a diesel heater mounted in the rear hatch . That will be great in the WA goldfields next winter .

AnswerID: 573316

Follow Up By: Ski Ali - Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 06:55

Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 06:55
Hello Willie,
BT recommends that only one tank be filled at a time. That is only open one valve until water flows from the overflow then open the second tank before closing the first. This way you know that each tank is full. This system works. No neeed for valves on overflow lines either.
Regards
Col
FollowupID: 848827

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:18

Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:18
Col ,
I must have an old model because both my wash water tanks fill from the same inlet - I guess the inlet favours one over the other , that's why I had to block one overflow .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848828

Reply By: Maitland Bushies - Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 02:02

Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 02:02
Hi grey gnomad,
We have an 1999 model. Original setup was 1 filler inlet for 2 tanks (on non potable system) with a valve on each filling line. Open 1, close the other, only fill 1 tank at a time, worked well but valves were so inaccessible I fitted another filler inlet in side of van (1 each) works great, no valves to fiddle with.
Always had problems with stupid idea of the looped plastic tube on the breathers, water spashed out while travelling, lost heaps. A following vehicle thanked us for the mobile car wash. Solution: run breathers all the way up the filler inlets. (ours had a little fitting inside the van on the back of the inlet. Bushtracker filled these little breather fittings with silastic. I cleaned them, out fitted the breathers. Problem fixed! Done that years ago, no problems. You can hear the tank "breathing" when you fill it and if there is water in the breather tube (I used 12mm plastic tube) it spurts out as the air pressure builds up.
Crikey even Jayco breathes their tanks properly! not some rinky dink bit of plastic right down there in the mud, dust and stones etc. (yes on removal of tanks I found gravel in them.)
I also found the way Bushtracker glued the breather into the top of the tank was a joke and on looking at the new vans they are still doing it! Just have to wait for Mr Gibbs to invent it! Ha!
Hope this helps
Max
AnswerID: 573317

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 04:05

Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 04:05
Hi Max ,

Thanks a lot for letting me know this . I just went out and looked under the van - no valves . I thought it a long shot , but checked in the cupboard under the sink and there they were . What an odd system . Fill one tank and then go inside and change the taps - better than nothing though .

I saw the holes on the top that been blocked . Did you slide a tube down the plastic pipe all the way to the tank ? How did you manage that and how did you know when it was at the top of the tank - or am I visualising this incorrectly .Can you describe what you did in detail .

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848829

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 04:18

Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 04:18
Willie,

I think you've got it arse about ;-))

The valves inside are for changing between tanks when one runs out....(use from back to front)

The valves you may or may not have-though I've not seen one without, are inside your cargo door next to the fillers.

Matt
AnswerID: 573318

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 05:17

Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 05:17
Matt ,

No - it is as I described . There is also taps which control which tank the water is pumped from .

My fillers are just forward of the wheel arch .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848830

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 06:04

Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 06:04
PS
My door is at the front and the hatch at the rear under the Yacht style bed .
FollowupID: 848831

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 21:25

Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 21:25
Sorry mate!

I should have read all the posts.

Glad its sorted now anyway.

Matt
FollowupID: 848832

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:59

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:59
Willie,
After following a friends van fitted with the Green 60 litre tanks (forgot the brand name) every time they took a left turn the centrifugal force caused water to flow out the breather/overflow pipe, so we fitted extensions to the breather pipe as Turist has mentioned that end on the right hand side of the van and put the same irrigation type stop tap on the end of the line. We have the standard 80 litre black tanks and did the same to our van. When the tank is full I turn the tap off and keep the water inside. Problem is that you have to open them when you want to get water out of that tank.

I think Turist has hit the nail on the head with the vent tube being too far inside the tank, as you then have the syphon affect until the water drops to that level. Just look at how much water comes out of the overflow after you have stopped filling the tank.

A very easy way to see how much water you are using for a shower, or anything else is to collect the water at the drain pipe.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 573319

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:45

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:45
Thanks Brian ,

It looks as though I will have to drop the tanks out and sort it out from there .

I have just installed the exterior pipe connected to the pump so that I can use lesser quality water from a bucket for my shower . I will certainly find out how much I use then .

Willie
FollowupID: 848833

Reply By: Peter & Leigh - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:53

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:53
Hi All,
Our BT is10 years old and only has an external shower so our solution to saving water is a little different.
We save water by using a 6 l/m flow restrictor from Bunnings (a small coloured plastic disc in the hose fitting plus we use a good quality metal garden hose attachment with a trigger. The hose attachment also has a flow rate lever and a number of water patterns to chose from. The original plastic shower head that came with the external shower had a push button on/off tap but it was useless and leaked all the time. We turn the taps to adjust the temperature then use the trigger to control the water. I reckon we can get down to about 5 litres each if we have to.

As for water tank breathers the original tank only had a hole drilled in the top as a breather/overflow so the grey tube sealed with sikaflex in the 2nd tank installed at a later date by BT was major a improvement. This second tank has a separate external lockable filler fitted by BT at the same time.
I fitted the third tank myself and drilled and tapped a 3/8 breather hole in the top corner of the tank and fitted a fitting from Camec. At the same time I fitted separate breathers to all three tanks and sealed the hole in the original tank.
The BT installed pig tail in the breather pipe is gone.

We have three separate inlets all common keyed after spending half an hour going thru the caps at Camec. Each breather tube goes to its own respective filler.
Cheers
AnswerID: 573320

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:50

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:50
Peter ,

Nice to see someone else with a 16' BT . If I had had one built , it would have been with an external shower , but buying second hand , I had no choice .

Thanks for the info on the breathers . I am just about to Google Camec now.

Willie .
FollowupID: 848834

Reply By: Peter & Leigh - Thursday, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:26

Thursday, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:26
Hi Wille,
Look at the trigger shower head at Camec.
Peter.

TRIGGER SHOWER SET

Features heavy duty chrome finish. Complete with on/off trigger incorporated in handle. P/N 3545-705
Wall bracket to suit 3545-730.

AnswerID: 573321

Our Sponsors