Kimberly Pilbarra in April, May, June

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 02:05
ThreadID: 124188 Views:4596 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all WA adventurers.

I know Grumblebum & Dragon have passed on a lot of info on travel in this area, and they may be able to advise if the beginning of April is too early to arrive at, say Halls Creek via the Tanami, then making Kalumbaru by about 20 April, and Broome by early May, then down to the Pilbara Area during June. I know the Cyclone season does extend into April on occasions. It may be better to go to Pilbarra first and then to Kimberly??

Plus, has anyone towed their BT over the Tanami track from Rabbit Flat to Top Springs via Lajamanu and Kalkaringi.

Also, has anyone travelled the Giles-Mulga Park Road between Warburton WA and Marla SA through the Musgrave Ranges?

An alternative may be Warburton, Yulara, Curtain Springs and then via Mt Connor and Mulga Park?.

This is going to be the shake down for the LC200TT.

Cheers.........Rob and Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilma - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 07:50

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 07:50
We were in the Kimberley last year in and the road to Kalumbaru was still closed at the end of May. However it was a late and good wet season last year. You will have to keep an eye on the wet this summer. We were advised that travel on a road sign-posted "closed" would incur a hefty fine.

Regards
Bill
AnswerID: 573356

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 08:29

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 08:29
Hi Rob and Liz

I can't answer any of your questions, but i am hoping to leave the SW around mid to late May and head to the Kimberley. We will be flexible to plan according to weather conditions. We may meet up somewhere.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573357

Reply By: winnecke - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 10:36

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 10:36
re Top Springs via Lajamanu and Kalkaringi, I travelled this road with a camper trailer in 1996. It is used a lot by heavy trucks, and you would probably have little trouble EXCEPT there are numerous creeks and these could be a problem so early in the year. Even if they weren't running, repairs may not have been carried out on Wet Season washouts
AnswerID: 573358

Reply By: Innkeepers - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 17:32

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 17:32
Hi Rob & Liz,
Are we jealous or WOT...both of the trip itinerary and the new KROOZA....GASP......

Well, dreams are free....the only bit of road we can comment on is the Curtain Springs - Mt Connor - Mulga Park - Kulgera as we did that in May last year and the road was a big wide red sandy road with only light corrugation if any when we travelled it. Nice scenery...but we love red sand, spinifex and desert oaks.....also no traffic so we weren't covered in dust when we stopped for lunch...I think we only saw one other vehicle..the aboriginal communities kept UHF 4 repeater in constant use the whole trip....Not that we understood the conversations as they were in their own tongue.....except for 2 words...."Lard n Clare" which we interpreted as Loud and Clear.....

Sounds like a great trip...safe travels.
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 573359

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 20:42

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 20:42
I have just been across the top via the black top. Have not travelled on any of the roads you mention since our trip across the Tanami a few years ago.
Just some general observations from my trip last week.
It seems the wet is getting under way nice and early. I drove through a few good afternoon storms and the country is showing the benefit of this all the way from Katherine to Broome.
I did talk to a bloke driving a cattle road train at Dunmara. He had come from Halls Creek via Top Springs. He told me he didn't get over 60kph and the corrigations were about a foot high. His gear was showing the effects of the trip with the mudgards and bumper bar snapped off one of his trailers and draging on the wheels.
I know the roads in the Pilbara are in need of a good grade after a busy year
I would suggest getting in touch with some of the local shires in the areas you want to travel and asking about their programs for grading for next year.
Good Luck & Travel Safe
Trevor
AnswerID: 573360

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Nov 23, 2007 at 06:02

Friday, Nov 23, 2007 at 06:02
Hi Rob and Liz et al,
We plan on being up that way around April to do the Gibb RR west to east. If we get stuck at river crossings it just means I will eat a lot of fish and release even more. The plan is to get there before the 'mob' arrives with the Hire 4x4's flying along at 120 kph plus - at this time there will be less litter and more space.

It, the weather, is always a risk - they even had heavy rains in June this year which is almost unheard of.... the Kununurra farmers were really bleep off.

May see you up there sometime.

Cheers John and Jean
AnswerID: 573361

Our Sponsors