Sydney hailstorms + exposed solar panels = worry

Submitted: Monday, Dec 10, 2007 at 20:30
ThreadID: 124263 Views:4165 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After seeing yesterday's damage caused to suburbs close to me , I am starting to worry about my 16 ft BT's three exposed solar panels ( and the roof ?) .

I have to leave "Elvis" in the street where he is at the mercy of the weather .

What do other people do in this situation ? Pray ? Use covers ?

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Monday, Dec 10, 2007 at 22:14

Monday, Dec 10, 2007 at 22:14
Ensure your Insurance is adequate ! (Including the sum insured.)
We suffered $9,000 hail damage couple of years ago, hail was bouncing off the grass to half way up the windows, it wasn't just falling down, it was pelting down with real force.
That $9K damage was just to one side of the van, we were out in the open and had no chance of doing anything about it.
The Solar panels didn't have a worry, no damage to them at all.

With the increasing cost of a new BT there is a real danger of "under insurance".
Your sum insured could be well under "market value", usually defined as new replacement value less depreciation, because of the increasing cost of a new BT similar to yours.
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 573622

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2007 at 20:57

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2007 at 20:57
Ian ,
It is hard to know what amount of money to insure the BT for , as there is so few sales . I might put a post up asking BT people for their views on a market price of a 16 ft 2001 model .
I have it insured for $62,000 at present .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848951

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Dec 10, 2007 at 22:22

Monday, Dec 10, 2007 at 22:22
Willie,

Our experience was being caught in a hail storm north of Port Macquarie 4 days after collecting our brand new Bushtracker! Sufficient damage to result in the van being TOTALLY reskinned and new roof, bonnet and two doors on our tow vehicle. All covered by insurance at a total cost of around $30K

The Solar panels survived unscathed!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573623

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2007 at 21:01

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2007 at 21:01
Motley ,

Sounds like the maiden voyage of the Titanic . You must have been distressed , to say the least .

Those solar panels must be tough - Ian and yourself both report significant damage to the van and none to the panels .

I think I might invest in a cover and ask them to put clear plastic where the solar panels are . Hopefully this will allow enough sunlight through to keep the batteries charged .

Thanks ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 848952

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Saturday, Dec 15, 2007 at 02:07

Saturday, Dec 15, 2007 at 02:07
I have uploaded file(s) titled "Sunland Caravan Cover (1+2)" which provides details and fitting intructions for the cover which we purchased from Taree Auto One.

Go to File Swap tab.
AnswerID: 573624

Reply By: Peter & Leigh - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:25

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2007 at 21:25
Hi Willie,
For what it's worth in the storm season I cover ours with those clip together foam mats from a camping shop (with or without holes). They are almost as wide as the panels.
I have a couple of 8mm cords per two panels with SS clips at one end that attach to SS loops riveted onto the edge of the front panel. The other end has a loop and hangs down the back of the van and is secured with a bungie cord to the tail light channel.
I also cover the top of the van with more mats held on the same way but going across the van.
I uncover two panels to keep the batteries charged when the weather is fine.
Down side is the mats get powdery from the sun so you get coloured hands.
Haven't had any large hail so can't say it they work.

Cheers
AnswerID: 573625

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:28

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:28
Peter and Leigh ,
Thats a good idea . I will give them a go , as I have 6 of those mats already . I am sure they would stop hail .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 848953

Our Sponsors