TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:52
ThreadID: 124276 Views:4553 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I eyeballed this system last weekend. It belonged to a club member who only had it for a week with a trip from BNE to ROK. Performed as specified, simple to install and at an affordable cost. He commented on how much the tyre pressures increased from cold to hot.

A BIL had the wheel well given a touchup when a tyre flew to bits.

I have LC100 steel wheels with high offset and the valve stem almost touches the metal so the wheel transducer will not fit..........bummer.

Site Link

Ern
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Dec 15, 2007 at 23:17

Saturday, Dec 15, 2007 at 23:17
I have discovered a tyre pressure monitoring device in a vehicle I recently bought - wondered the the hell it was for a while. Haven't discovered the name of it yet or how it works. Butr according to the read-out (and the audio beeps when ignition is turned on) both front tyres are flat!

mmm!

John
AnswerID: 573700

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 20:34

Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 20:34
It's interesting to note that Toyota make such a system as a standard accessory for the LC200. I believe that USA have made such systems compulsory in all new vehicles from 2009 due to the statistics showing many accidents are related to poor monitoring of tyre pressures.

Regards,

Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 573701

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 22:56

Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 22:56
Ern,

The system that you are talking about sounds like the same one that Conrad had and also Roger Bunny. Conrad managed to pick up a few punctures on our 2006 trip to WA and knew he had a problem every time.

Conrads worked fine but Roger had a problem with rubber valve stem flexing and I believe changed to metal valve stems that hold the weight of sensor better.

With the metal valve stems you would probably find that you could get some that were on an angle so that the sensor would fit on your rims.

Food for thought anyway.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573702

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 23:39

Sunday, Dec 16, 2007 at 23:39
Thanks Brian....I will talk to my tyre man.
Ern
FollowupID: 848970

Reply By: SMICK - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:29

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:29
I have a SENSA TYRE tyre pressure and tyre heat monitor. This system also monitors the vans tyres and vehicle spare. I think it is invaluable as it not only has a visual warning but also an audible warning. How do you know when your van has a puncture, especially the rear dual, when driving on dirt roads? Answer when you, maybe, see black chunks flying through the air, or when you stop for a cuppa and wonder where the tyre went.
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

AnswerID: 573703

Reply By: Boystoy - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:12

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:12
Hi all,

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

I have been using this system for several years now with good success.

The TPMS sensors are about the size of your finger, weigh 35 grams, and are mounted inside the tyre and screwed to the back of special valves.
The signals are transmitted by 'blue-tooth' to a receiver & display. The limit of transmission is 6 metres.

These units are manufactured in Malaysia by a company called Strong sdn. I’ve found them on the internet, but can't remember the address.
In my LC100, I've mounted the display in the top right hand corner of the windscreen. It is a compact unit about 130 x 45 x 40mm & features a display showing an outline of the vehicle, and sequentially selects each wheel, displaying the current pressure & temperature. You only need to connect two wires to ground & accessories.

Modifications to the unit in the BT involve dismantling the display unit, and tapping off with fine wires connected to the buzzer and fault-display LED's. I have brought these wires out to a box where I have connected them to the inputs of a ULN2004 IC. This is an ‘open collector darlington driver' whose outputs are connected to 12 volt relays. The relay contacts are then connected to a small LED display (2 LED's) and a buzzer on the dash of the LC. I also included a switch to turn the buzzer off while I find somewhere to stop when the TPMS finds a problem.
Its not rocket science, any electronics technician would have no problems, and may even find a better alternative. My only problem has been with my ageing eyes, makes it difficult to see what I'm doing.

When I bought my first unit, Strong were planning a 'truck' version, about 6 months down the track. as far as I know they still have not released it. Could be they need a much bigger transmitter for the extra distance, or maybe waiting for new developments in components, who knows.

Best of luck

Neil

A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 573704

Reply By: Mike & Carol - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:19

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:19
Hi Guys

In 2005 when we picked up our LX470 we added tyre pressure and temperature sensor system to our rig and Bushtracker Caravan. It was the SmarTire system which consists of a reader/dislpay device sittting in the vehicle and each sensor is mounted on a stainless steel band inside each wheel rim.

SmarTire did have the other type of sensor which is part of the valve (basically at the back of the valve) on the tyres but suggested this would be a problem offoad. If a twig or rock or anything else brushes against the tyre valve it could break the valve and therefore smash the sensor.

On three occassions the SmarTire system saved us and our tyres by alerting us that we had a puncture - as soon as the pressure drops more than 5psi an alarm goes off in the car and you immediatly see which tyre is going down. Gives you the chance to stop before you shred the tyre.

Autron in Mebourne are the distributors and we swear by his system. Just make sure if you go this way you fit the sensors according to SmarTire's instructions.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 573705

Reply By: Silver Fox - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:51

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:51
I was under the impression that 'Smartire' could not transmit effectivly over the distance from the BT's wheels to the vehicle. I may reconsider should the info given in 2005 has been incorrect. I was quite keen due to the safety factor involved. Maybe I should get some updated info from the importers/distributors. These "gadgets" are the way of the future me thinks. cheers, Neil.
AnswerID: 573706

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:45

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:45
Hi All,

Just noticed an advertisement in the latest Caravan & Motorhome magazine (page212) Safety Seal Aust. P/L TPMS suitable for 2 to 12 wheels.

May be worth a look. (phone 1300 555 454)

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 573707

Our Sponsors