Al-KO Jockey wheel

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 01:50
ThreadID: 124304 Views:4095 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am having trouble with the ball bearing race at the top of the jokey disintegrating, my ball weight is aprox 330kg, is this the problem? what are the suggestions to fix this problem?
Regards
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark & Yvonne - Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 05:13

Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 at 05:13
Hi Eric

It seems to me that these bearings are not protected from ingress of water, dust and sand. Probably worth dismantling, cleaning and regreasing on a semiregular basis (? every 3 to 6 months maybe depending on amount of use and exposure it gets). Simple job taking 20 minutes over a beer. I've also read, as will others, that the bearing surfaces are sometimes not smooth and may need dressing with a flat file before greasing and installation.

The ball weight may be important but moreso if poorly lubricated.

Regards,

Mark
AnswerID: 573816

Follow Up By: Eric & Gail - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 at 17:21

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 at 17:21
Thanks Mark & Yvonne,
I have been keeping it well greased, the last Bearing I installed has only lasted 3 months, the mild steel washers on either side of the ball bearing race become deformed by the ball bearings, and the casing the ball bearings are held in desintegrates, seems like a weight issue.
I may look into one of the jack stands available from Vehicle Components, anyone tell me which is the best one for BT's and how are they attached, clamp or weld?
Tanks again
Eric
FollowupID: 849048

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 at 22:34

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 at 22:34
Eric
Since fitting the Vehicle Components stand two and a half years ago, I think I have used my jockey wheel two or three times.
Mine is welded to the cross brace on the A frame near the handbrake, and VC also fitted an additional 25mm square length of solid steel across the top of this brace, to give a stronger support. The top bearing is an automotive wheel bearing.
Someone (?) at BT doesn't like them, but I wouldn't be without it. Changing the height is a two finger operation, it's that easy. Anyone who finds it easy to move or turn the van on rough terrain or anything other than level, smooth concrete using a J/W is a better man than I am GungaDin! I reckon it's much easier to hone your reversing skills, using rear view mirrors etc.
Cheers
Bob
FollowupID: 849049

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 01:54

Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 01:54
Al-Ko Australia do not state the capacity for the jockey wheel supplied by BT on their website.
This from the British Al-Ko site

Plus Jockey Wheel (Pneumatic Wheel)
Galvanised Steel 48 mm Dia. tube, with thrust bearing. Pneumatic tyre and steel rim. 200 Kg Static nose load, 120 Kg Dynamic Nose Load.

If that is the case then the load is the issue.

Check with Al-Ko Brisbane after the hols,
62 Parramatta Road
Underwood, 4119
Ph: 07 3386 6300

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573817

Reply By: Eric & Gail - Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 06:49

Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 06:49
Thanks Bob and Bob for your input, I will give V/C a ring, have a great new year.
Eric
AnswerID: 573818

Our Sponsors