If anyone is coming to Hobart

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 15:12
ThreadID: 124307 Views:4638 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The Agricultural Society has just reopened the Showgrounds for Caravanners and Motorhomers to use:

Site Link

Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CD & JW - Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 18:13

Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 18:13
Hi Angie

Very useful info.

We noted when travelling in NZ that many towns, some quite small, had an area near a public toilet block for self-contained caravans and motor homes to stay free of charge. They obviously recognised the value of the travelling public to the area's economy. One we particularly noted had power available too,

The phrase "those vans that have grey and black water storage and carry their own fresh water supply" is interesting. I wonder how many caravans have grey water storage.

LJW
AnswerID: 573827

Follow Up By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 19:26

Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 19:26
I drove past the showgrounds last night (which is why I remembered to put the posting up) and there were definitely caravans there that would not have fitted into the stated criteria. I think that comment was more for media hype, as the CMCA have pushed their motorhomes as being environmentally friendly, to councils they have approached to allow sites such as this to be used. The Glenorchy showgrounds market is on each Sunday so they will have already attracted a sitting group of shoppers for the fresh fruit and veg stalls.

Angie
FollowupID: 849057

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 21:48

Sunday, Dec 30, 2007 at 21:48
HI Angie

We met New Zealanders when we were in Tassie, and they said to bush or free camp anywhere in NZ you have to have grey water confined. I hope the Aussie outback never gets to that. Confined to me is a yellow bucket to give a thirsty tree a drink!

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 849058

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:09

Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:09
Hi Angie,

Thanks for the info. Will be travelling to Tassie with the BT in Feb 08.

I believe camp sites & caravan parks are a bit scarce in Tas. Any advice?

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 573828

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:35

Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:35
Neil we enjoyed seven week in Tassie starting Feb 2006. We are 'bush campers' but in Tassie you needs Camps 3 (or 4 out now) as you can't just pull off the road readily like in the mainland. They have dedicated free camp sites, some in wonderful locations. We never book, and the few times we pulled into a CP and had no problems getting in. Similarly no problems finding space in the free camps. We had been warned that CPs would be full for the summer period. Not so. We don't do cities, and i know some were camping at the show grounds in Hobart, which they reckoned was conveniently located, close to transport, and flatter than most Tassie CPs. I don't know if it was overflow because camps were full or not - they just chose the show grounds. If you would like to see my camp site and Tassie travel reports, i can email them to you.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 849059

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 05:01

Monday, Dec 31, 2007 at 05:01
Apart from anything else Angie, I want to know why you are playing with the computer at 04:11 AM.

Ivan still away?

Ha!

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 573829

Reply By: The paca people - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 21:17
Hi Angie,

Thanks for this info; we catch the ferry to Tassie in less than a fortnight [actually on 12 Jan] so your good news is very timely !
Intend to stay until mid March at least.

New Years cheers and SAFE TOURING to you and all Boggers from Martin & Christine B.
AnswerID: 573830

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 23:49

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008 at 23:49
Hi Paca People

Have a fabulous trip.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 849060

Our Sponsors