Thumper Battery & Fridge Query

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 06:09
ThreadID: 124316 Views:7077 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone has a Thumper Battery Pack by Blue Apple Power?

We are thinking of using the 75ah for our car fridge rather than a dual battery system.

We have a 200 series Landcrusier and have heard reports that changing the battery system may void the warranty.

Last question: Debating which fridge is better Engel or Waeco? Been advised a 40 ltrs would be good for our needs.

Thanks kindly

Sharon and Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Innkeepers - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:37

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 07:37
Hi Sharon & Allan,
Can't help with the Thumper however having owned 3 compressor fridges we can offer our viewpoint.

You don't ask about the Trailblaza so we'll not bother to mention that one except to say that it is the most rugged of all....more suitable to roping down in the back of a truck that sliding into the soft plastic and carpet in the back of a Landcruiser because of its sharp edges and corners.

Our 80 Litre Waeco is just great and uses the Danfoss Compressor like the Waeco in the BT along with many other portable fridges including the Trailblaza.

The Waeco uses up a lot of battery in simple terms as it has 2 fans to run as well as the compressor and from a construction point of view....little things like the plastic hinges are susceptible to problems if you're not very careful with how you open it in the fully loaded car. Also, if you have, or intend to have a HF Radio setup in your outfit, then the Waeco and any other fridge using the Danfoss Compressor, will render the receiver of the HF Radio useless via a pulse interference while the fridge is running.....with the result that you will have to turn off the Waeco to hear any useful signal on the radio.

The Engel uses a different compressor design in the Swing Motor by Sawafuji and it doesn't interfere with the HF Radio at all.

The Engel has a stronger lid hinge system and as the lid is always in use...should last longer than the Waeco.

We still have our 80 Litre Waeco as well as our 40 Litre Engel and both are great fridges....we would lean towards the Engel for the 2 reasons listed above.

The handles of the Engel are steel and can be used as tie downs for securing....the handles on the Waeco are plastic but reasonably solid...might be poly carbonate?? Still the Engel appears stronger in the handles and cabinet.

You will get the usual "Ford/Holden" type replies on this one, however the facts are as we have listed and we do own both fridges...so no biased opinion.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your LC200.....We are very jealous...
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 573885

Reply By: Balkos450 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:33

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:33
IT just so happens that i took my 105 amp hr thumper pack to the auto electricion today and also have a 80ltr waeco fridge. if i had my time again i would spend the extra and get the engel no BUTS. As for the thumper worked fine for 16mths and then want hold a charge. The lady at 12 volt shop (sa) could not help me enough she was great i wish peaple were always so helpful its just a shame i live NSW and there in SA . so she thinks it dropped a cell there all separate so i will only need to replace broken one and after only 16 months im hopping they will fit the bill for cell. They are so handy being portable (boat /car /camping/you can even run the tv down the park on grandfinal day) worth the $900 i paid at 4wd show and they now come with 24mths warrenty not the 12 i got back then. Ill know next week how good they are when it comes to whos going to pay ill keep you informmed Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 573886

Reply By: Black Cobra - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:54

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:54
Sharon & Allan,

Have owned a older type 39 litre Engel for ages now and had it on the boat. Have just bought a 80 litres Waeco fridge freezer a little while ago before they come with the inbuilt 240v transformer.

Was looking at the 80 litre Engel fridge/freezer but decided on the Waeco. Some for and against reasons as follows:-

Liked the plastic construction of the Waeco especially for the rust factor if you are near the ocean and want to have the fridge outside and for the possibility of dents in the metal.

Liked the digital readout of the Waeco for the fact that you do not have to replace the battery like in the Engel but this is only a minor point as the battery lasts for a while.

Did not like the way the Waeco only has the cooling element in the freezer section whereas the Engel has it in both sections, however it appears to work well.

Like the idea of the Waeco that you can take out the dividers and make it a big 80 litre fridge or have it as a fridge and freezer. I basically use the Engel as a freezer and the Waeco as a fridge when travelling fully stocked.

Like the separate dairy compartment in the Waeco so that butter, cheese etc does not go hard and like the light in the Waeco for night time.

But at the time I purchased my Waeco there was a great special on so I could not refuse as I purchased the Waeco, Transit bag, Mobitronics transformer, and the dual in car plugs unit that you can switch between running the fridge with engine off or on for about $700 cheaper than what the Engel fridge alone so I thought I would give the Waeco a go.

As there are so many choices out now and another nice fridge is the Luna but get up there in price.

Cheers
Stewart

AnswerID: 573887

Follow Up By: Wherrol - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:05

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:05
Wow, BOG strikes again. Thank you so much for your well thought out replies.

From our previous readings and your excellent replies we will go with the Engel and the Thumper. Added advantage we don't have to play with the Toyota Batteries and perhaps muck up our warranty.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
FollowupID: 849077

Reply By: SuziTracker - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:05

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 19:05
Hi Inkeeper

Would you rate the Trailblazer better that the Engels?

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 573888

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 04:23

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 04:23
Hi Brian,
Well that ALL DEPENDS on what your application is.....like I said the Trailblaza a very robust unit and in my opinion stronger than the Engel by far. Our application for it was 6 to 8 trips to Fraser Island each year for many years and this Trailblaza bounced around in the back of our old 100 series wagon over those extremely rutted tracks on the island...some ruts were up to 600mm deep around the roots of those rainforest trees....so it rocked and rolled and even broke free of it's tie downs at times....never once gave any trouble and being marine grade alloy cabinet....no rust. However, the sharp edges and corners on the botom of the cabinet really did a job on the carpet and plastic moulded panels in the rear of the cruiser...that's why I suggested that it would be fine tied down in the back of a tray back type of vehicle. Also, the 2 long sides of the Trailblaza are heat sinks for the cooling system of the fridge and as such you have to allow a minimum of 50mm clearance on both sides of the fridge for efficient cooling and battery usage....this means 2 things.....One is that you can't pack the rear of the vehicle up against the fridge like you can the Engel and Waeco. The other is that you can't buy a travel bag to put around the Trailblaza to protect the interior of your vehicle....As a side note the cabinet of the Trailblaza needs no protection by way of a transit bag as you would need to hit it very hard with an axe to hurt it.

The Engel has a different way of doing things and they are able to be fitted with a transit bag which helps insulate the cabinet and hence cuts your battery usage and also protect the Engel cabinet from bumps when you pack your wagon right up against the walls of the fridge. This makes the price a consideration too as the Engel doesn't seem to have as the same thickness of insulation in the cabinet walls as the Trailblaza so the Transit bag is really a necessity when purchasing an Engel.

Having had the 3 fridges and used them for some time.....The Waeco is a good design in the 80 Litre with the 3 separate compartments however it is the flimsiest in construction and quality of build and uses a "Lot of Battery".

The Trailblaza is by far the most rugged in construction and suited for the back of a utility more so than a wagon type of vehicle.

The Engel is the best of the 3 "FOR OUR APPLICATION" as it has good construction and able to be packed up against the cabinet for packing in the back of a wagon.....and....We have a HF Radio installed in our Landcruiser for Emergency communications as we do a lot of outback and remote travel.....The Waeco and Trailblaza both use the Danfoss compressor as the heart of their cooling system and the Danfoss Compressor just wipes out the receiver of the HF Radio while it is running...we have in the past turned off the Waeco so we can check in to VKS-737 nets as well as others.....the trick is to remember to turn it back on after the radio has been used and it really means installing a dash mounted On/Off switch with a light alert to help in this respect if you want to monitor HF Frequencies while driving.

Having said all that....the Engel is the better option for OUR APPLICATION.... however, everyone has different requirements and I hope this info helps you with your decision.

If I can be of any further assistance, it will be my pleasure.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 849078

Reply By: SuziTracker - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 20:33

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 20:33
Thanks for that Rick.

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 573889

Our Sponsors