Tamworth Rip Off

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 02:10
ThreadID: 124320 Views:4543 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Reproduced below is a letter from Tamworth Council in reply to my query as to where we could obtain potable water as the previous supply poins were disconnected during the festival last year.
At $1.00 per 20lts for water that represents a mark up of around 1,500% on domestic supply rates.
Talk about taking advantage!!
Welcome to Tamworth, just be sure to bring your money.

Dear Bob

If I can introduce myself, I am the Tamworth Country Music Festival Director. Bruce Logan who has already corresponded with you is the Water Enterprises Director. I am pleased to hear that you have been coming to the Festival for a number of years with other friends and that you have during that time enjoyed all the Festival has to offer visitors.

The water taps you were drawing water from last Festival have been removed for reason that during the 2007 Country Music Festival, Tamworth and this region was in the grip of severe drought and our main water supply dam, Chaffey Dam, was down to around 25% at the time of the 2007 Festival. The taps along with other water supply connections on Council parks, gardens and reserves were disconnected to conserve water. It is not intended to reconnect water to these connections or allow and public use of the water supply.

The practice that you have adopted over past years of drawing water from public parks for human consumption and other domestic uses is not strictly legal and will not be available this year and in the future. However, I can arrange for you and your friends to collect potable water from Council's Works Depot located off Barnes Street, Taminda (the Tamworth Industrial Area). The Depot is located in Lockheed Street and the easiest route is via Bridge Street heading west, turning right into Ebsworth Street at the traffic lights at the end of the Goonoo Goonoo Creek Bridge, then left into Barnes Street, proceed along Barnes Street, then right into Lockheed Street.

The Depot will be open for business during week days, excluding public holidays, of the Festival between the hours of 7.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

There will be a charge of $1.00 per every 20 litres of water supplied. If you bring your water containers to the Taminda Depot and ask for Bruce or Wally, you will be able to fill you containers from a fire hydrant located near the Depot main office.

I hope you enjoy the 2009 Festival which is shaping up to be one of the best. If you need any further assistance, give me a call.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:44

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:44
Bob,

A trip to Bunnings or hardware store to buy a 4 way security tap handle seems like the way to go. They must still have these taps in the parks to do the watering from.

I see that he hopes you enjoy next year"s (2009) festival.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 573898

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:33

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:33
I carry one of those Brian, handy at times.
Tamworth Council have gone a bit further than security tops on the taps, they have either removed the taps or, in the case of our previous water point, totally isolated the supply from the main somewhere.

This does not only affect our little group, many other campers obtained potable water from these points.
They will be in for a shock when they go to get water this year.

Welcome to Tamworth.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 849088

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:44

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:44
Bob - you could look on the bright side - even if you paid $5 and got 100 litres of water to use while in Tamworth, you will probably spent at least that in fuel over what it cost last year just getting there.

Water is still cheap where it can be purchased.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 573899

Reply By: Silver Fox - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:08

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:08
I paid $1.00 per 20 litres in Denham 26/08/07 at the desal plant. That was aceptable in a desert. Tamworth won't be hearing my yee ha any more. happy travels, Neil.
AnswerID: 573900

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:48

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 03:48
$12.00 to fill up the three tanks sounds pretty reasonable to me - hardly a rip-off . However, supplying it at no charge , would have been the intelligent thing to do. Small minded bureaucrat making his point.

Thanks for the information,

Willie
AnswerID: 573901

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:05

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:05
Hi Guys, no water problems here; we will be at the Austin Tourist Park about 4k out of town. Weather permitting we will cycle everywhere.

Give a shout -

Jay and Jackie

25' Boroma Grandinata
Big Red: F250
We are currently exploring the vastness of Australia doing it the "naturist" way living life powerfully and the life we love. A copy of our diary can be read at www luvntravln com.
AnswerID: 573902

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:44

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:44
If Tamworth Council can't supply the infrastructure to cater for visitors to The Country Music Festival, then maybe the festival can be held somewhere else.

Surely, if the demand for accommodation exceeds the supply, and if Tamworth wants to profit from the Festival, then they must cater for accommodation and more camping areas and supply the facilities to go with it. That includes ensuring that there is enough water.

Rob

AnswerID: 573903

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 01:30

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 01:30
The Gympie Muster people can manage to truck in adequate tanker loads of water for everyone to use from many kilometers away from a mains water supply, but Tamworth cannot even provide taps for campers to collect water from within the town.

Doesn't appear to be encouraging tourists to come to the festival.

I have never had a problem finding water whenever we needed it in other towns.

Brian

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 849089

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 20:12

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 20:12
I have managed to make alternate arrangements for the supply of potable water at Tamworth.
And it has nothing to do with the camper unfriendly Tamworth Council.

If any members are camping at Tamworth and require potable water supplies member message me for details.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 573904

Our Sponsors