LC200 windscreen replacement

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:12
ThreadID: 124350 Views:4497 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We had all the bad luck with 2 small stones hitting the windscreen, they did not chip screen but put separate cracks in screen. Now 3 weeks later they have spread to 2 x 40cm cracks!!!! The screen seems "soft" or easy to crack.
After contacting local windscreen O'Brians they were told no toyota screens available for several months and non toyota are on a boat and no near future delivery date given,
To make things even more harder to take is that they are quoting $$$$$$1200.00 plus for either.
Has any one else had "chips" or "cracks" too easily made in screen???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:52

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:52
Had this happen in our LC100TD in 2005. Small chip near Hughenden Qld. By the time we got to Atherton it started to crack, & this crack quickly grew to about 500mm.

We made sure we had windscreen cover on our Insurance policy when we bought Tojo in 2003.

Nuisance not a disaster.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574047

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:29

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:29
Bonnidowns,

If you don't get a windscreen repairer to drill and fill ASAP the crack will grow quickly until it reached an outer edge. I had a crack start at the top near the RV Mirror in December 06. It grew down the screen in a loop (about 150mm) before I had it drilled and filled. It has not moved any further in over a year and has passed 2 rego inspections.

Cheers...........Rob
AnswerID: 574048

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:15

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:15
Any strength in the rumour that all the 200 series owners are refusing to drive them until the Japanese leave the Antarctic waters? :-) :-) :-)

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574049

Reply By: Silver Fox - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:05

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:05
What I learned when my L/C 100 TD got a stray rock. The 'Novus' fellow said cracks must be filled with the special glue ASAP and NO water is to get on the screen beforehand otherwise cracks will remain visible and probably grow .
There is a "windscreen repair" kit available in the glue sections of some outlets now. I have no experience with it. Maybe it could be better than nothing when out the back of where ever when cracks appear. "windscreen cover" is an annual claim once only. My theory is the screen is a little more vertical than other cars so when missiles hit they dissipate more energy. Murphy is involved too. cheers, Neil.
AnswerID: 574050

Our Sponsors