New Caravan Park

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:54
ThreadID: 124383 Views:36261 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just received this from Don and Jenny who bought our BT.

"We are at Stanthorpe staying at a most beautiful new caravan park. you should let your BT friends know! It is a well-kept secret, on the banks of Storm King Dam about 11 or 12 klms out of Stanthorpe. It is pretty well hidden and a bit hard to find, but the instructions for getting here are on the Net under Sommerville Park Caravan Park. Everything is brand new. It has only been open about six months, but stupid Council won't let them put too many signs up, with the result that hardly anyone has heard of it. But it is so quiet and lovely that it is worth noting, and would make a great place for a BT get-together! The young couple who run it are from Holland and Czechoslavakia and have done a great job with (I think) the 116 acres which he inherited. The grounds are immaculate and the use of washing machines is included in the price. Dogs are allowed, which is a bonus for us! We are parked overlooking the dam and near the ammenities and the BBQ facilities (free gas).There are lovely mown walks along the banks of the dam and there is also the park's own private large dam surrounded by pine trees, so my dogs are having lots of swims every day. At present we are the only ones here! It's only $130 per week for a powered site, which I think is very reasonable considering the space and beauty and facilities. Spread the word! Camps Australia hasn't even found out about this one!"

Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CD & JW - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:50

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 00:50
Thanks Angie
Now have another "to visit" on our list.
CD&JW
AnswerID: 574149

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:19
Reply 1 of 3 posted 30 Jan 2008 at 08:03 - (AnswerID: 14552)
Member Neil and Linda replied to the question

I thought I post the site link.

www.sommervillevalley.com.au/home.html

Cheers Neil
The Slightly Grey Nomads

Reply 2 of 3 posted 30 Jan 2008 at 11:12 - (AnswerID: 14553)
Member Bushtucker Man replied to the question

Hi Angie,

That c/v park looks like a great spot, Trish & I will certainly check it out in March when we pickup the new BT.

Stanthorpe is a nice little town, my parents had the licence for the hotel inthe centre of the main street back in the early sixties, also there are some nice wines come from that area.

Cheers,
Stan
"Doing it on the dirt & loving it."
Stan & Trish

Reply 3 of 3 posted 30 Jan 2008 at 21:11 - (AnswerID: 14561)
Member Quicksilver replied to the question

Thanks for sharing the letter Angie. We took our new van on its' inaugural trip to this area early in Jan. We stayed one night at "Top of the Town" Tourist park in Stanthorpe - cost was $23 (no dogs allowed). From there we went to Girraween National Park for 3 nights - $9 /night (for 2) with clean hot showers & toilets provided. Also no dogs allowed here but what a fantastic place - did some terrific walks and for the shutter bugs it is "photo heaven". There's also a "must stop" chocolate shop on the road into the Park.

We went from Stanthorpe to Girraween via Eukey and Ballendean (winery area). After turning left at Ballendean we passed a sign on the left for the Sommerville Tourist Park at Storm King Dam but didn't venture in. Have made a note of it now, and will stay there next time so we can take the pooch with us.

For us, living in Brisbane, it's only 3.5 hrs away so would be an ideal spot for a BT get together.

Thanks again for sharing.

David & Denice
Breakin Loose

AnswerID: 574150

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:52

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:52
Thanks all, I will let Jenny know that her comments were well received.

Angie
AnswerID: 574151

Our Sponsors