200 Series, anyone towing yet?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 17:40
ThreadID: 124391 Views:4598 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

We are wondering if anyone is towing with a 200 series yet?

If so:

1. Have you upgraded your suspension? If so:
a) Do you have KDSS and was it a major job to get the suspension modified?
b) Did you get the job done at a major supplier. ie. ARB and TJM
2. What fuel economy are you getting?
3. Any other info you would like to devulge would be brilliant.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimbo - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:25

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:25
Hi Wherrol

I have just towed with a GXL 200 series from Mackay to Newcastle and all I can say is what a fantastic towing machine, held speed limit on all hills even towing up cunninghams gap at the speed limit.

I pushed it the 1st 2 days holding speeds up hill and down and into a strong headwind also and was using 20 litres per 100klm and on the 3rd day between Brisbane and Newcastle on the New England hwy I sat on speed limits but on hills tried to hold the gears longer by allowing vehicle to slow a little and was getting 18l/100klms which I am very happy with.
My van weighs 3.2 tonne and I have standard suspension which sits just perfect but I am sure in time I will need an upgrade but at the moment there are no aftermarket accessories for the 200 on the market as they are all still in the development stage

Regards
AnswerID: 574170

Reply By: Silver Fox - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:59

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:59
FYI, I was in my local ARB a couple of days ago. The word is their after market improvements are on the way. Some sooner than later. Fellow said the word about the lack of extra fuel tank in models above the GXL is to do with weight calculations. These models are heavier due to extra equipment and the formular includes full passenger load and expected luggage. So the reserve fuel tank was sacrificed would you believe. cheers, Neil.
(please stop telling me how good the 200 is as I can't afford to replace my 100TD! )
AnswerID: 574171

Follow Up By: Wherrol - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:22

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 20:22
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info.

We have rung a couple of suspension folk and got the following or similar response "Bring in the 200 series, we want to start experimenting". Nup don't think so.

As for the 200 series vs 100 series. Maybe it is great but poor Sharon has had more than a few sleepless nights with back and neck ache caused by the seating. And now we have wallet ache thinking about $7k worth of Recaro seating!

Cheers

Sharon
FollowupID: 849239

Reply By: Kimbo - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 06:50

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 06:50
Hi Sharron

As I have recaros in my 100 series and I would dearly love to fit them to the 200 I think you better think hard and look into the legalities of fitting these to the 200 as I think you will find that you cant because the original seats are fitted with air bags and the same goes for fitting seat covers as well.
Im still in the early stages of sussing this all out but what Im hearing isnt good for my recaros but I have plenty of offers to buy them but we will wait see and use all avenues before I decide to sell them

regards
Kimbo
AnswerID: 574172

Reply By: Silver Fox - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:34

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:34
I do recall seeing "air-bag friendly" seat covers. Maybe 'Autobarn'. This issue is of course very important. There are tailor made seat covers too. Keep trying. Comfort is paramount so long as we don't provoke those nice insurance people. cheers.
AnswerID: 574173

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 18:15

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 18:15
Hi Neil,

Toyota offer seat covers for the 200 series which are approved for their airbags.
Regards,
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 849240

Reply By: Bobrovin - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:36

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:36
I saw one towing a BT on the M4 in Sydney this morning. Don't Know who it was though
Bob
AnswerID: 574174

Follow Up By: Bow & Nan - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:16

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:16
Bob
Guilty
I was towing a BT on the M4 in Sydney this morning.

Greg
FollowupID: 849241

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 18:48
G'day All,

Haven't heard of airbags in seats before. I do know that in the LC100 the front passenger seat is fitted with an airbag sensor such that if there is no passenger in the seat at the time of a prang, the passenger side air bags are not deployed.

This was the only problem encounted in fitting the Recaros to the LC100, but Out of Town 4WD at Barnsley (Newcastle) are authorised to carry out the fitting, which involves matching the sensor to the Recaro. I have spoken to them on the phone and they are waiting for Recaro to produce a base which will comply with the ADR. They will ring Recaro today and will ring me back with the answer.

It appears that, with the base set in place, it will be just a matter of transferring the sensor to the Recaro. They don't recommend thick seatcovers (as in sheepskin), as the sensor may not work with the extra padding.

Will keep you posted............Rob

AnswerID: 574175

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:15

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:15
Kimbo et al,

Yep, Recaro are on the ball......They have already made bases for the LC200. Mark, at Out of Town 4WD rang me back an hour ago and there is a 3 to 4 week window from order to installation. The installation is an overnight job (1 1/2 days).... you could camp at an oval just up the road, or maybe they'd let you camp in their yard. I had both front seats changed to Recaros two years ago. (Cost about $300 per seat from memory.) We have had no back pain at all on trips since (including Cape York).

They'll be swapped over to the LC200 when it arrives.

Cheers...............Rob
FollowupID: 849242

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:46
That's good news for you Kim-Bro, :-)

Kimbo knows the guys at OOT4WD well

Wonder why it's an overnight job? gotta let the glue dry ? LOL.

FollowupID: 849243

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:47

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 21:47
Whoops........Sorry Folks,

Mark, from Out of Town 4WD just rang me back to say that it can't be done on the LC200's because of the factory fitting of the airbags and removing the factory seats would be illegal and therefore no insurance. However Recaro are working towards getting around the problem.

So, it's wait and see I suppose. Bugger!!

Cheers............Rob
AnswerID: 574176

Reply By: Kimbo - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:32

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 23:32
Hi Rob

Must have been you Mark was talking to whilst I was at the counter and I asked Mark to confirm all this with the RTA as I wasnt convinced by the guy at Recaro's response to just turning the Airbags of via the dash mounted switch.All sounded like someone just saying its Ok just do it without actually looking into the legalities.
Mark rang me whilst driving home to confirm the RTA reply.
I have also been to Toyota to find out about the seat covers and yes you can only buy airbag compatible seat covers and toyota want approx $250 retail for the front only.
Wait see when you get the 200 as I also suffer back problems and have just driven the 200 from Mackay and found them to be quite comfortable to be honest.
You must live local to us I am in Port Stephens shire and if you see a white cruiser with Qld rego (for time being at least) give a wave

Regards
Kimbo
Newcastle
AnswerID: 574177

Our Sponsors