Change in Screen name from Bandicoot to The BrakeAways

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 05, 2008 at 20:02
ThreadID: 124400 Views:3866 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've decided to change our screen name from Bandicoot to The BrakeAways.
Our first names are actually Rick and Julie, but we are not the Innkeepers!
I've spoken several times to the Innkeepers (very helpful couple) and they don't have a problem with TWO Rick and Julie's on the forum.Much like the original Smith's crisps, they will be always be the original Rick and Julie (Innkeepers) and the newcomers will be ourselves (The BrakeAways). BrakeAways is a play on our surname (Brake) and our 'getting away' aspirations.After many years of "swagging it", and also having had camper trailers, off-road pop-tops and the like over the years, we got back from the doing the Canning stock route last year in a swag (again) and decided we were getting just too old for a five week trip lying on the ground and squatting behind trees (if any)! But our 20 ft BT doesn't get delivered until mid-June this year as it will be in the Bne C'van and Camping show at the BT display and we get it after that. Can't wait. First trip will be to the Gulf in late June/July with our 5 kids ranging from 22 yrs to 12 yrs. It should get a good workover!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:30
Rick and Julie ,

New van , how exciting . Where are you going on the gulf ? How will the kids handle
that - no computer !

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 574206

Follow Up By: The BrakeAways - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 00:40

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 00:40
Thanks Willie
Waiting for the BT is like waiting for Xmas. It can't be hurried! I haven't quite got down to counting the sleeps yet, but almost!
Current plan is to take off 4-5 weeks and pick up eldest daughter from the Isa where we lived for 15 yrs, then off to Riversleigh, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Karumba and across to the Tablelands. Stop here and there on the way. I'm not going to be too adventurous on this first trip. We also lived for 2 1/2 yrs in Ravenswood near the Towers so will probably call in there and then down past the Burdekin dam, if the crossing below the dam wall is open then.
Kids should go fine without computers (will start weaning them beforehand). Julie & I will take our laptops as we are self-employed and I need to at least check emails every day or so (sadly). We have an Iridium sat phone with data connection. It works well but is slow (and not cheap).
Speaking of signatures, the first time I saw yours I thought it said "The grey gonad" and thought to myself "It can't be that!". Sure enough, it wasn't! So I'll have to schedule a trip to the optomotrist in the next few weeks as well!! Hope you aren't offended!
Rick
FollowupID: 849262

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:49

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:49
It would not be the first time I have been called the Grey Gonad . People can be so unkind , sob

Sounds like a good shakedown run . Enjoy the kids before they are gone .

Willie .
FollowupID: 849263

Our Sponsors