Water leaking into window

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 06:29
ThreadID: 124410 Views:5546 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody tell me if they have had a problem with water leaking into the front window over the bed we cannot find were it is getting in seems to be building up at the bottom of the window also leaking in through the winder
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maitland Bushies - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:17

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:17
Hi Foggy,
We had the same problem, not funny with an east west bed as all the bedding gets wet etc.
After days of testing with the hose spraying on it I found the water was leaking in via the mitre joint in the top of the window, it then runs down though the winder box and along the bottom edge of the window.
I took the window frame out of the van and discovered the top mitre joints of the window have sealant covering the joint on the outside of the mitre (the part of the window that is hidden in the wall).
This had gone hard and was letting the water through. It seems impossible for water to get in there as it seems it must run uphill, and it was leaking while we were parked so wind wasn't blowing it in.
Resealing with Sikaflex there and anywhere else that looks like it needs it when reinstalling the window fixed ours.
Hope this helps, Max
AnswerID: 574254

Reply By: Pixellator - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:44

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:44
Foggy
We had a similar problem a year or so ago... there is a drain hole at the bottom of the window frame, and also water can get in to the winder box because the window is on a slope. Give Wayne a call at Bushtracker and he'll guide you through the repair. It only took a blob of silicone (not Sikaflex) and we've had no problems since.
Good luck
BobH
AnswerID: 574255

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:05

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:05
We had a leak (albeit in side window, and which was only present when wind and rain hit that side). The window was removed and completely refitted at BT, but problem recurred, so we were all starting to worry about where the entry point might be.

Now if you consult the Bushtracker Owners Forum, www.bushtrackerownersforum.com/index.php and then Owners Forum/Tips On Maintenance, there is a very detailed set fo instructions for resealing the hinge joint area (this also includes excellent photos of the repair in various stages). The hinge joint is in the vicinty of the mitre joint, but is a separate possible source of water ingress and would be suspect of the water is finding its way to the winder mechanism).

I effected this repair myself, and so far, no more problems.

[Sorry I can't send link to article, I have forgotten my Owner logon, and need to hunt it down.]

AnswerID: 574256

Reply By: Bob & Chris - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:29

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:29
Hi All
Our Hearts go out to those that have window leaks.We had a major problem with leaks to all our windows.Yes soaked matteress,water running down the walls etc.To their credit BT.replaced all the windows.Our BT was a 2004 model and the windows around that time were supplied, I believe from a Brisbane source and made in China.I have since had a problem with leaks to the front window and one side window.The side window was slightly misaligned with the frame( no quality control on this one ).Tried all the silicon tricks but to no avail.Purchased ( I think they called them Ravin weather seals for windows and doors to keep dust and water out.Various lengths and widths )rubber strips about 6 mm wide ,pre glued,and stuck these strips to the window frame.I fed the rubber seal as far up under the hinge as possible and then down and around the frame back up under the opposite hinge.The seal on the window comes into contact with this new seal on closing and gives a positive seal.I have not had a leak in 2 years.From my observations it is very important to get the new seal as far up under the hinge as possible.You dont have to worry about drain holes as the water does not get in.If your windows leak it is worth a try.Cheap and relativley easy to remove if it does not work. Good luck,there is nothing worse than water in bed with you.Bob
AnswerID: 574257

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 06:45

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 06:45
The front window leak has been a problem for years. We have had it in our 2001 van and they even had to replace the timber lining under the front window where it was stained.

Most of the problems appear to come from the sloping angle of the front of the vans when driving in rain. The rain water hitting the front of the van is then forced inside through the window seals by the force of the wind caused by driving.

BT started putting a J moulding under the front window which appears to help prevent it. Because the frame of the window is leaning into the van at the bottom water runs inside the van rather than out the weep holes as it does on windows mounted on the vertical walls.

I did make a suggestion to BTi several years ago that if they were to fix a flat plate to the aluminium skin around the outside of the window frame, they could then have an over sized Fibre Glass window protector that had a rubber seal like the side hatch doors completely seal the window area and prevent any water being forced in.
This was met with don't tell me how to run my business, Future Systems went bust with Fibre glass fronts and I am not about to do the same.
(Sound familiar.)

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574258

Our Sponsors