Mounting generator on drawbar

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 124413 Views:4193 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Searching through the archives, there appears to be at least one or two who have mounted generators in boxes on the drawbar/A-frame? However, no real comments on post-installation.
Any more details available about how it was done?
Why it was done (purely convenience?)
Also reports on how the generator went in the long run, such as coping with dust, water ingress when "wading", security from theft, or other issues?
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Silver Fox - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:44

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:44
You can check my pics for my DIY effort. I wanted a genny for the air-con and as a 240 v charger should the on-board fail. (it did) The draw-bar was the choice because I didn't want petrol fumes in the BT. At the time I also thought there would be not enough room in the cargo bays. My cargos doors are not the extra large either. My set-up has been just fine. I don't remove the genny when running it. The stone shield is between it and the gas cylinders and it remains enclosed within the box. Ventilation is obvious when viewing the pics. Others have had boxes made for them I believe. cheers, Neil.
AnswerID: 574261

Follow Up By: The BrakeAways - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:33

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:33
thanks Silver Fox
How is the box attached to the A-frame? Welded, bolted directly, or using U-bolts?
Do you find you have problems with rocks bouncing off the gen box back onto the car?
Have you had any problmes with dust or water. I guess this position can get very low to the ground when the tow hitch touches the ground, if off-road. I assume the box could flood in such circumstances (e.g. if going through creek and hit a dip)?
Rick
FollowupID: 849289

Follow Up By: Silver Fox - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:11

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:11
I welded it and fitted bolts inside too. Plus a very large wire rope with a huge lock run through a U bolt welded to the base of the box and through the genny handle. Overly secure maybe but these are a popular item with scum bags. Dust/rain gets in and that is being addressed with improved sealing. I tend not to go through deep water. Would take genny out if needed to. Check out my pics and you will see an extra stone shield from the existing down to the L/C bumper. I have more trouble with stones flying ahead of the L/C and into the screen. Hard to believe until one sees this happening. Extra large cargo doors should be standard in my opinion. cheers, Neil.
FollowupID: 849290

Reply By: Bob & Chris - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:51

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:51
Hi Rick and Julie
My generator box is mounted on the draw bar.It is fully welded box with a hinged lid.Two padlocks for some security.I attached it to the draw bar via u bolts type set up.The hold down bolts(12mm ) hold 2 40x40 mild steel angles that run accross the draw bar in front of the spares.The box is bolted to these angles.No water,small amount of dust.I did not seal the box to allow any fumes to escape.I remove the geny when using.Have had no problems.Done about 90,000klms. in 3.5 years.Welding and drilling in this area, I believe,Should only be done if really necessary.Fatigue and weld cracks are a real possibility.Bob
AnswerID: 574262

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 06:59

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 06:59
Hi Rick & Julie

Ours is mounted on our short draw bar where space is at a premium. It opens from the front and the genny is on a slide for easy removal. The other side of the box has the fuel cans on another slide. It can be run it situ, but generally is removed completely. The front opening lid goes straight up in a vertical position, but the gas lifts can be adjusted so it opens horizontally like a mini roof if we needed to run the genny in a shower of rain.

Our stone guard is mounted right in front of the box, and is easily removed for us to open the genny box. The box is bolted onto the a-frame from the inside so it cannot be removed with opening the box.

I have pictures on the caravaners forum, or i can email them.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574263

Our Sponsors