Hitch Pin Wear

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 04:15
ThreadID: 124446 Views:4830 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Late last year several members posted that they were having discussions with Hayman Reese regarding the excessive wear in the hitch receiver pin hole.

Has anyone had a satisfactory response from Hayman Reese?

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Black Cobra - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:02

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:02
Bob,

You just reminded me have been speaking with the Australian Manager but gone quite will ring him tomorrow.

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 574372

Reply By: Dundee - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:06

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:06
Bob
I have just had my HR hitch altered for the new LC 200 - they trimmed a bit off the back of the solid hitch tongue ( this was necessary because the LC spare wheel is in the way - i.e. its directly behind the towbar receiver - interesting design !! ) and also they drilled a new hole in the tongue to enable the hitch to sit a bit further in the tow bar receiver. It was interesting that the towbar joint were split amongst themselves as to whether the HR tow hitch really needed to go in any further using the original pin hole.

I am sure Hayman Reece will not take the slightest responsibility for this modification but I will be interested to see if it wears OK or becomes a problem.

Regards
AnswerID: 574373

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:37

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:37
A mate who has a 200 series thought he was going to have to do that also but he found that if he lowered the spare and pushed it forwards as it was being wound back up that gave him enough room for the hitch and the original hole.

FollowupID: 849337

Reply By: Black Cobra - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:39

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:39
Bob,

Spoke with the australian manager today and had a long conversation with him and they have agreed for me to take the vehicle to the place that I had the bar fitted and agreed that welding plates onto each side of the bar to give the pin more to bite into would suffice and I agree.

Hayman Reece are going to pick up the tab for any work done and also agreed that a high tensile bolt would have more strength than the original pin with the "R" clip. They will even pay for the bolt.

He also said that he would send and email or any other confirmation that Hayman Reece will stand by the warranty for the tow bar after the mod is done.

Pretty good result but took some time. He said he is not sure about the VC coupling as it may be doing something that they don't know off. He said they had trouble with the Treg hitch also and after a lot of trials and discussions with Treg the block was changed from the red one to the blue one.

Anyway will have to arrange for the job to be done now so will keep you informed. He also wants me to give him feed back on how it goes.

Cheers
Stewart
AnswerID: 574374

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 23:28

Monday, Feb 18, 2008 at 23:28
Bob and Stewart ,

Does this set a precedent ? Can we all now expect HR to fix our "elongated hole problem" ? I wonder?

I have had my HR bar since 2001 and have no idea where it was originally installed , so I cannot take it back "there" !

I have only towed my 16 footer for about 5,000 km , and already elongation is noticeable . I doubt that the camper I used to tow, would have caused the problem .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 574375

Our Sponsors