Portaboat

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 22:37
ThreadID: 124447 Views:4290 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings All,
I would appreciate comments regarding a product called Portaboat. I have seen these fold up boats either sixteen or 18 ft long. Has anyone used them and do you think they are safe and good value for BT's concerned about weight. We are concerned about having a tinny on the roof of our LC200 and are looking for alternatives. We would use it with a six or eight HP outboard.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred & Marj - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 23:04

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 23:04
Hi Ross and Pam

We recently purchased a Portaboat (12') with a 3hp motor and find it to be an excellent compromise between a tinnie and a rubber duckie. It handles sheltered waters well is virtually unsinkable due to inbuit floatation and is easily launched - jjust carry it to the water. We have the outboard in the back of our LC100 fits easily on one side (short shaft motor) and the seats and transom stored in one of the front lockers of the van - these are a bit bulky but weigh very little so a perfect spot for them. The hull folds flat and offers minimal wind resistance on the LC roofracks.

I think the longer versions may be a bit heavy to lift onto the roof racks but depends how strong you are I guess - I can lift ours on single handed two makes it an easier job.

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574376

Reply By: Maitland Bushies - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:12

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:12
Hi Ross & Pam,
We have had a 10' Portabote for some years now, very happy with it, great for rivers and lakes etc. Have a Yamaha 4hp 4stroke outboard fitted to a swing out ARB spare wheel carrier (that I modified to carry motor instead of wheel) on the back of 100 series Landcruiser. Seats, transom, oars etc fit into aluminium bins that are suspended between the 3 roofracks on the 100 series, these bins are accessible from the passenger side only and the boat straps to the top of the roof racks, works well.
Max
AnswerID: 574377

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 06:33

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 06:33
Hi Ross & Pam

Just returned from a couple of months in Tassie.

I bought my wife a 10 foot portabote about 5 years ago. We already had a 3.3HP Mercury so she'll have to wait a few more years before we need a new outboard and her another boating gift. Although Diane would have preferred some more diamonds she still enjoys our porta-bote adventures. They are very quiet to operate so you can sneak up on fish better (That is if you can find any to sneak up on) and are surprisingly stable for this size of boat.

The biggest advantage for us is that when the boat is folded, it allows us to carry a surf-ski and kayak on the roof of the LC as well as the boat. We also have an inflatable (Zodiac FR290) but it does not have the floor space and fish spines do puncture the material. We have tried small tinnies and grp tenders but the porta-bote is the best compromise for us. When home in Briz we often go to the Gold or Sunshine Coasts for a few days and usually have the porta in tow down the highway at 100kph.

We have fitted an aluminium fold-up 'ALMAC' trailer; minus wheels & winch post; to the rear of the BT with minimal reduction in clearance/ramp angle.

I would choose a Stessl 3.7m Edgetracker as the best compromise for serious fishing whilst touring.

Happy & safe travels
Greg & Diane
AnswerID: 574378

Our Sponsors