Toyota Computer Problems

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:00
ThreadID: 124491 Views:5188 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have an intermittent problem with the “Malfunction” Indicator Lamp coming on our LC100TD with 1HD-FTE engine.
When the problem occurs, (just started this afternoon) we have virtually no power. We can maintain about 20kph uphill & about 60kph on the level with the BT on back.

Since the problem has started, it has occurred about 6 times, while we are travelling, & twice when starting the engine. We have travelled less than 100km since the problem began.

There are very few places to pull over down here, but when we find one, we can stop & switch the engine off for a few minutes, reset the problem & get under way again as normal.

I think the problem sounds expensive & will necessitate surgery at Toyota

We are Zeehan in Tasmania, & the nearest Toyota dealer is in Burnie (about 150km away) which means dumping the BT until TOJO is healthy again.

There are some BIG hills to get over to get out of here & unless we find a fix, it looks like being a long holiday

Any clues?

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:16

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:16
Happened to ours Neil, only the once though and i was straight into Toyota with it, they had the car a few days as it required a complete new engine wiring loom. Apparently there was a fault in the loom and rather than try and trace it they just replaced it, was told it was the 1st they had come across.

In my case i took off from the lights towing and all of a sudden lost power, crawled along at a reduced rate and pulled over, switched off, started back up and had full power again...
AnswerID: 574534

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 13:10

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 13:10
There was a report somewhere on a forum with a similar event and it was found the wiring loom above the brake pedal fell onto the metal and rubbed through the insulation. Simple matter of cable tying it up and all fixed. This happened in the boonies and the local Toyota people had first hand knowledge, something a city establishment would not.

Ern
AnswerID: 574535

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:00

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 at 18:00
Go to the Toyota Landcruiser Club website and ask the question on their forum or search their archives . They are a pretty knowledgeable lot there .
Willie .
AnswerID: 574536

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:02

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 06:02
Thanks Boggers for your help.

Willie, can't find forums on the TLC websites, also tried ExploreOZ without results.

However, to minimise potential problems, I disconnected the Steinbauer P-Box today. This was fitted about a month ago, & we had a few shakes on the West Coast Explorer road, but nothing compared to the outback, but maybe?

Anyhow we gave TOJO a run today without the BT & no problems. Tomorrow we'll head for Strachan, & it survives, book her in for a checkup when we hit Hobart--IF!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574537

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:36

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:36
Neil,

The fact you only fitted the P Box a month ago and now you have an issue, HAS to put it high on the list of possible causes. Not so much the unit itself (though quite possibly) but the connections going in and out of it. I'm far from any expert but 99% of quirks in 12 volt stuff (from my experience) comes back to a bad connection somewhere. Especially when you add water, dust corrugations etc....

Good luck,

Matt
FollowupID: 849436

Reply By: Bobrovin - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:18
Neil
It may also be a partially blocked fuel filter.
Bob
AnswerID: 574538

Our Sponsors