Please tell me your "easy food" ideas .

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 at 21:50
ThreadID: 124493 Views:6922 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Easiest to prepare , with a minimum of washing up , but it has to taste OK !

MY TIP

Couscous - more interesting than rice and easier to cook .

I think the easiest thing you can use to add to a meal , is couscous . Boil water ( same volume as couscous ) , add this to the couscous and its ready as soon as the water is absorbed .

I often fry some onions and Moroccan herbs and add this to the couscous after it has absorbed the water. Another nice addition is some sultanas which you add with the boiling water . Add a tad (metric tad) more water for the sultanas to soak up .

Wikipedia definition of couscous :
Couscous or kuskus (pronounced /ˈkuːskuːs/ in the US, /ˈkʊskʊs/ in the UK; Berber Seksu - Arabic: كسكس‎, called maftoul in Jordan, Lebanon and Palestine) is a food from the Maghreb of Berber origin. It consists of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour.

Cheers ,

Willie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 00:39

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 00:39
HiYa Willie,
Kraft Maccaroni Cheese Deluxe.....the one with a pack of pasta and the tin of cheese sauce.

Enough water in a saucepan to cover the pasta and a "TAD"....then bring to boil and if necessary ad a Tad more water until pasta is soft.

If you want more flavour, chop a bacon rasher and a stick of celery and lightly fry and add to the pasta...this can be done in the same pan prior to cooking the pasta.

When all the water is absorbed and the pasta is soft.....add your cheese sauce from the tin and a desert spoon of butter and stir it all in until butter and cheese sauce are both melted....take your pasta dish in your saucepan and grind over some craked peppercorns to taste and get the desert spoon you used for the butter and cheese sauce and hop into it....only washing up is the saucepan and 1 spoon.
But wait...there's more

This make miles more than enough for one person so chuck the rest in the fridge for tomorrow night and then get out the double jaffle iron and 4 slices of bread and Voila as the French say.....2 meals from the one pan....and if you turn out your jaffles onto a paper towel....still no washing up....except for the knife you buttered the bread with for the jaffles.

Stick with me Willie and you'll be a camp cook legend...HA HA HA.....

Hey we've panned up some specks of Gold here in the river...thought you should know..."Specks" being the operative word...but a couple of dozen all the same...enough now to see in the specimen bottle.....more laughing...

Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 574539

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:03

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:03
Rick ,

Sounds like my sort of goo . Easy to make and little washing up . I use paper plates where possible , to minimize the dreaded washing up . I will buy some and do a test .

I don't know about the jaffles . There is no fresh bread where I'm going . I guess I could freeze some , although my freezer will be full of cryovac meat from a good butcher in Sydney .

Have you ever tried making a jaffle out of that Lebonese type bread that everybody seems to make wraps out of these days ?

I started to quiver at your mention of gold . I remember on some other post that you were going fishing as well . Does the stream you are on, flow west or east ? Caught anything ? No lies !

Willie .
FollowupID: 849437

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:35

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:35
Yeah that goo will really stick to ya ribs on a cold Winter night.....will even take the growl out of a worn differential too....

Well, I don't have to lie about the fish..I haven't caught any, but I hasten to ad that I haven't spent much time or effort in that pursuit as yet...although I did get the rod out and rig it up and I did change from a deep diving lure to a shallow variety.

The "Neighbours" have caught a reasonable yellowbelly and a carp and assorted turtles...we tried our opera house traps and the turtles did a job on the bait too....needless to say they're back on the roof rack.

There is big fish in the waterhole here and in early morn and late arvo it pop's a snack from the surface with an almighty splash...and of course out comes the rod and the lure gets wet again. I'm dreaming it's a Murray Cod...haven't seen as many waterhen the last couple of DAZE....

It's little wide to the snags on the other side...so a tinnie would be the ticket.

The Gwydir flows West from Armidale to Bundarra then on to Inverell where it runs into Copeton Dam.....from there it flows Westward through Bingara and then Moree , meets the Horton and then eventually flows into the Barwon.
Plenty of Carp here...I watched about 5 of them feeding in the shallows one afternoon...had their backs and dorsal fin well out of the water.

We just added to our personal best with the latest gold speck tally soaring...we can actually see some colour in the bottom of the bottle know.
This said...I really don't think that I have enough gold to go into town to buy an ice cream let alone get drunk and buy a whore for the night like the miners did in days gone by.

So I guess it'll be a few Rum and Cokes by the river and some marinated chicken wings on the BBQ and few sweet words from Julie...

Gosh look at the time....
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 849438

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:41

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:41
We haven't used a jaffle iron camping since our old one got too hot and warped so it wouldn't shut around 12-15 years ago. At home in the electric jaffle makers, i always use commercial frozen puff pasty. We like the results much better than when using bread. We wouldn't really have room to carry pastry in the freezer when caravanning and making it by hand is toooo much like hard work for a holiday.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 849439

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:37

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:37
Gees Mrs Hen ,
Electric jaffle maker ? Puff pastry jaffles ? Your a bit posh !
Willie .
FollowupID: 849440

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:12

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:12
Hi Willie

Not in the caravan though. Bread doesn't have to be fresh to make jaffles - so long as it hasn't got to the blue spotted stage.

Some caravaners take electric bread makers and run the genny so they can make fresh bread. We can cope with crisp bread type of biscuits when the bread runs out. It would be very different if the BT was our home, as it is for some travellers.

Hi Rick

If you use just a knife for making the jaffles - wipe it clean with a paper towel - then still no washing up.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 849441

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:04

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:04
Yo MotherHen,
We always carry the breadmaker with us in the BT and the Honda EU20i completes the fresh bread thing. Nothing like the smell of it cooking..

We also keep a pack of Puff Pastry sheets on the floor of the freezer in the BT...takes up hardly any room at all and like yourself have used the Puff Pastry in the Jaffle Iron and It makes really nice apple pies if you get a tin of pie apples out of the pantry.....also a sprinkle of raw sugar in the jaffle iron before laying in the Puff Pastry also adds to the flavour....... as well as the waistline.

Naughty but Nice.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 849442

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:58

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:58
Hi Willie

For simple and easy to carry meals, i freeze mince into meal sized cubes and pack into a meat tray so they take up minimal room in the freezer section of our small fridge. Then i make one pot meals by cooking mince with onion, veges (can use dried peas or similar), and whatever flavour we choose. Adding a packet of one of those 10 minute noodle or rice meals makes a quick one pot meal. Otherwise i add curry spices and service with boiled rice - a two pots to wash meal. Rooster doesn't like couscous or any pasta, but likes rice every night. What ever we cook, i usually do it stove top with one or at most two pots or pans, and can get a good meal in a short time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 574540

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:24

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:24
Hey Bob, never been called a "pampered pet" let alone crow about it....how about you?

Ern
FollowupID: 849443

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:20

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:20
My easy food is real easy.
"She" cooks it. Ha!

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 574541

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:44

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:44
Me too Bob...gotta love the old girl.
Sometimes I give her a break and we dine out........very considerate am I????????

Ern
FollowupID: 849444

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:52

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:52
You told me she doesn't like Maccas Ern.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 849445

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:36

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:36
Vickie does the cooking and i eat good at home and even better when we are travelling ........ must be the scenery :-)

couscous cant handle the stuff Willie phht.....Mashed spud is the go LOL

Jaffles with leftover's yum,

Camp oven roast ..... MMMMMMMM YUM

Any Food with open fire & an evening sky plus 'insert drink of choice' MMMMMMMMMMMMM YUM YUM

FollowupID: 849446

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 16:53

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 16:53
True Bob so I let the moths out occasionally and take her to Sizzlers. Gottta look after the ladies........I'm really into this SNAG conversion stuff.

Ern
FollowupID: 849447

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 17:55

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 17:55
I thought I would get swamped with good ideas and all I get is crowing from pampered pets .
Willie .
FollowupID: 849448

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:34

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 19:34
Hey Bob, never been called a "pampered pet" let alone crow about it....how about you?

Ern
FollowupID: 849449

Our Sponsors