Water freezing in van

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:17
ThreadID: 124495 Views:4883 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We will be living in our BT for the snow season down in Jindabyne this year. Has anyone done the same and if so, how did the freezing temperatures affect the water in the van. Did the water freeze in the tanks, the pipes, or the hot water heater. We usually turn the hot water heater off overnight, but if there is a possibility that the water inside it may freeze, then that wouldn't be a good idea. Has anyone experienced the above.
Regards AL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:49

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:49
Hi Al,
Haven't experienced a stay in the snow, but we have experienced -5 degrees at Kalgura in the outback overnight. This froze everyones hoses, but the BT had no problems with the tanks.
Don't know how extended periods of low temperatures would go.
We had our Webasto on for that night & kept the inside of the van at 18 degrees.
Maybe if you are also using the Webasto it may help with but I doubt it.
Hope this helps

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574543

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 14:42

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 14:42
We have similar experience to Neil. Probably not a problem as the tanks being under the van are protected from the main source of cold.

You might be the one that will be able to tell everyone else what happens.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 849450

Follow Up By: F Troop - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 18:59

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 18:59
Just don't forget to put the kerro in the wabasto tank.

Graham
FollowupID: 849451

Follow Up By: schommys - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:42

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:42
Hey Graham, Whats the kero in the webasto for????
Regards AL
FollowupID: 849452

Follow Up By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:34

Sunday, Mar 09, 2008 at 22:34
Been a bit busy... so just catching up on whats been happening.

Grahams right about adding kero to the diesel tank for the Webasto. Even with Alpine diesel an extra generous slurp of Kero will help keep the diesel liquid and not 'gel'. We did have Alpine diesel in the Webasto tank - our tank is mounted on the front of the BT... as you know these arn't big tanks - so the cold can affect much more readily than the car diesel tank (ours is 300litres.. unlikely to gel up that quantity of Alpine diesel)

We have been caught at Gunning NSW one very, very frosty morning, with gelled up diesel in the Webasto and no kero.... makes you appreciate your Webasto as an essential item.

And if your going into cold 'High Country' climates with your diesel vehicle... remember to fill the tank when you get there - even if it costs a bit more overall its worth that bit extra not to be inconvenienced.

Cheers,
Helen
FollowupID: 849453

Reply By: The BrakeAways - Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 18:41

Thursday, Feb 28, 2008 at 18:41
Might be worth putting the question out to one of the North American (Canadian?) "trailer" or RV forums, finding out what temps are generally OK for underfloor poly water tanks, assuming they have them over there?
Probably quite happy to help their "Downunder" bretheren here with some cold weather advice.
Rick
AnswerID: 574544

Reply By: Willie - Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:09

Friday, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:09
In my younger days , I had a 24ft van and annex on site at Providence Portal on Lake Eucumbene .

After one ski trip , we forgot to turn the pressurized water supply off and the hoses burst from the pressure of the expanding ice .

The result was a flooded annex and buggered carpet .

So problems like this could happen to you I guess .

As well as BrakeAways very good advice , I would suggest you ring up a couple of the Lake Eucumbene and lake Jindabyne Caravan Parks and ask them for advice .

Willie .
AnswerID: 574545

Follow Up By: schommys - Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 05:41

Saturday, Mar 01, 2008 at 05:41
Great idea Willie, will give the caravan park a call and ask them how their hire vans cope.
Thanks AL
FollowupID: 849454

Our Sponsors